If feel better about this remake if...

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Soaplover, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    There were better show runners hanging this...such as the show runner for Jane the Virgin. That show runner adapted a telenovela for the American audience that has a healthy balance of quirky and heart felt moments.

There are people out there that would do a remake justice, imho.

2. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +265
    This is hardly like Dallas where the people in charge don't know or understand soaps, let alone like them. These are people with experience who actually know and like the show they're remaking. They're also proven successes with The OC, Gossip Girl and Hart of Dixie, the latter two which were well received CW shows. If anything the CW gave Dynasty the best talent they have so at least the show has a shot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Medals:
    And i would feel better about this remake if it was on another channel ... such as HBO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Please explain? Are you suggesting a far more adult drama with nudity? Well, at least it would differentiate itself from old Dynasty.

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,268
    And how true did they stay to the original there? There was a review of the novels in The New Yorker, and when it came to the TV show it said
    " The television series based on the “Gossip Girl” books was reviewed here by Nancy Franklin (November 26, 2007). I completely share Nancy’s dim view of the adaptation. It is related to the original only in the names and outlines of the characters. “ ‘I don’t know what I’d do without Barneys.’ Serena sighed, as if the store had saved her life.” Without von Ziegesar’s fast, mocking commentary to propel them, the TV episodes are sluggish and crass—a move from Barneys to Kmart. Among the many errors that the TV series makes, perhaps the most glaring is its promotion of the books’ parents from their status as emblems of parental inadequacy to that of characters in their own right."
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/03/10/advanced-placement

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,339
    Medals:
    I don't think he's suggesting that at all. I think a show on HBO can take bigger risks than traditional network shows. The show can take as much time as it likes to set up character and plot. Thinks can happen much more organically and they don't have to draw it out to 22 episodes of filler just because the network wants that many hours of programming. Also the writing on an HBO show can afford to be that little bit darker, or more serious and less by the number TV drama. I think if you look at the original first season of DYNASTY that HBO could have made a wonderful interpretation of that for modern times. There was seriousness there, there was complication and pain there. This new show wont have any of that.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,268
    Oh, there'll be pain. I promise you fans of Dynasty will feel it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Acrually...the OC and Gossip girl burned through so much story that they ran out of steam. They didn't know how to properly pace stories. They ended stories that should have gone on longer and dragged stories that should have ended....and while the OF had great season ending cliffhangers..they never played fall out..nor had characters truly evolve or grow.

Now that I think of it..maybe they are the right people for Dynasty...since after season 3..nine of the characters on the original shoe grew or evolves lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Medals:
    Well then let's hope that this Sallie Patrick really means, what she said in that interview:

http://variety.com/gallery/tv-writers-to-watch-2017/#!8/undefined/

But who of those is really in charge now, Ali Adler, Sallie Patrick or Josh Schwartz? Who's the new Pollock to blame?
    Just to make sure to bash the right person in case it fails. :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1