If I'd been on CC's Team

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by stevew, Oct 21, 2017.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +417
    June 13, 2012:

John Ross and Elena celebrate in a rain of oil on a far back lot of the Southfork ranch when Bobby drives up to shut them down. An argument ensues. A young, handsome man defends Bobby and John Ross yells at him, "Your my brother, if you can't back my play, stay out of it, Bo!" Bobby ends up having to pull the two apart.

Walking into Southfork (original lay out except the backroom is now opened up with the kitchen) from the back, John Ross yells at Bobby, "Well until you get the next court to rule in your favor, that ruling stands and I have the right to drill!"

Ann walks in from the front. "What's going on?"

"John Ross is drilling on Southfork," Bobby yells.

"You knew the court said he could."

"Your my wife, Ann. I expect you to side with me!"

"Not when you're wrong."

"I told you and him it's not going to happen! There never will be drilling on Southfork."

"Bobby, JR left Southfork to John Ross. You don't have to like it. She left the cattle to you and the right to stay in the house, but it's his now. You're the one making this more than it has to be."

"My mother left Southfork to JR because she felt guilty. She asked me to give it back to her, and I did, so she could go to him and beg him to come home. He ignored her. Never spoke a word to her. Yes, she left it to him, but she never left the oil rights to anyone that means they're split between me and my brothers."

John Ross says, "But the courts have all agreed with me. The oil right came with the property. Grandma left you the cattle and a dollar rent for the land and buildings. She even left to the right to live in this house, but it everything with it was JR's and is now mine. Listen, Uncle Bobby, I've been wild catting all my life. I'm not giving away easy oil sitting right under my property. It's not happen. But, I'm sick off listening to you about it."

"And I'm sick of this family fighting, tearing itself apart."

"Then stop fighting me. This is my house and my land and my oil. I told you, sell me your share of Ewing Oil and and I'll turn the land over to the foundation forcsafe keeping and ten percent of the oil."

"No deal."

"Than get the Supreme Court to stop me."

Bo says, "I own a third of Ewing Industries, so does James. You can't just use our company to do as you want."

"This isn't Ewing Industries. It's my company with Elena, J-El Oil."

Bobby turns on her. "You too? After all I've done for you."

"I'm not doing anything against you. John Ross promised me we wouldn't effect your cattle business."

"I gave your mom a job when her sister, Teresa, asked me, after your father died. You've stayed here since you were a kid, because of me. I put you through college, so you could study geology. And this is how you repay me. Drilling into the land I swore to protect."

Elena looks down, mortified, ashamed.

John Ross says, "That's enough. You don't have to like it. You don't have to like me. But you'd better get use to my drilling on Southfork because I'm not leaving billions of dollars in oil underground just so you carry on some stupid legacy." John Ross leaves the room.

Under the dusky morning sun, grave monuments fill a small Southfork lot under an oak tree, 'John Ross "Jock" Ewing I, Eleanor Southworth Ewing Farlow, Aaron Southworth, Barbara Southworth, Garrison Arthur Southworth, Steven Clayton Farlow II and John Ross "JR" Ewing II.' JR's death reads, 'June 13, 2010.'

John Ross looks at his father's grave and says, "With each letter I've wondered if you were really gone. I know somehow you got rid of the federal estate tax in twenty ten, convenient . . . Maybe it is what I needed to grow up. I still don't know how I'm going to get Ewing Oil from Uncle Bobby. He won't budge. Mom sold me her share easy enough. All your secrets, dirt on people, hidddn money. I'm sick of it all. Mostly I'm sick of fighting Uncle Bobby. If you wanted you wanted me to have Ewing Oil also bad, you should have put it back together yourself. You've got me fighting with Bobby and Bo, the Wendell and Cliff Barnes. And Cliff Barnes is nuts. How and am I suppose to deal with a billionaire wack job? I don't even know how he got control of all of Aunt Pam and Katherine Wentworth's money. But I'm sick of it. Chris isn't around any more. What do I have? Nothing. Not a damn thing."

In his bedroom Bo come out of the bathroom in a towel. Pamela hugs him, kisses him and says, "I just don't get your Uncle Bobby. Why not let John Ross drill for oil on Southfork?"

"He promised his mother he'd look out for the land."

"Well if it was so important to her, she should have left it to him and JR."

"My father never tried to drill on it. This is all John Ross's doing."

"Well you talked James in to letting you run Ewing Industries. John Ross is an oilman. What do you want him to do, sit around twidling his thumbs?"

"It won't matter. I'm getting offers from ExxonMobil and Chevron. Ewing Alternative is going to be bigger than Ewing Oil ever was and soon drilling on the ranch won't be worth it."

"Yeah but you're talking a long time from now."

"You don't get it, what it means to be a Ewing and a Southworth. John Ross doesn't either. All he knows is to drill for oil. He dropped out of college. And Chris, he just up and left to live with his mom. Uncle Gary and his kids in California, Uncle Ray and his kids in Pennsylvania. They all left Southfork, but this land means something. And, the Ewing name means something."

"There isn't any Ewing Oil left. They've been out of business for what, ten years. And your father spent the last five years of his life battling cancer. And what's he left hind, fighting."

"My father left me and my brothers Ewing Industries, investments in over a hundred different companies. It's not nothing, it's just John Ross doesn't seem to understand how things have changed regarding energy. But soon you'll see what the real future of the Ewing name is." He kisses her forehead. "Now you stop worrying your pretty little head over business and just take care of the details of our wedding."

Harris Wendell walks into an office with a sign on the door, 'Jeremy Harris Wendell III, Chairman and CEO, Ryland Transport.' He says to the team which follows him, "I want you blocking the shipping of oil off Southfork. I don't want anyone helping those Ewings out? We're gonna squeeze the life out of them."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017