Ikea's Founder Has Passed Away At 91

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Ms Southworth, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    The founder of IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad, has passed away at 91 years of age.

Kamprad founded IKEA when he was just 17 years old, but he hasn't held a job position in the company since 1988. However, up until his death, he continued to be senior advisor for IKEA.

The Swedish entrepreneur was one of the richest men in the world, yet he was always very frugal and was a big fan of garage sales and flee markets. In one interview, he supposedly said: "It's in my nature to be frugal. I don't think that I'm wearing anything that hasn't been bought at a garage sale or flee market. I'd like to set a good example."

R.I.P. Ingvar Kamprad! :rip: My sincere condolences to your family and loved ones both in Sweden and around the world!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,593
    Medals:
    I just heard about this on the news this evening. It's amazing how much one man can accomplish in his lifetime. He sure has left a legacy with the IKEA stores all around the globe.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

P.S. A bit of Trivia for those who may not know it, but IKEA got it's name after it's founder and the place where he was from. Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd, Agunnaryd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,379
    Medals:
    Sad news condolences to his family, and friends.

IKEA is one of my favourite stores❤️

• Like Like x 2
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,730
    Medals:
    Well... he did some really bad stuff too. Like being a nazi when he was young and avoiding paying taxes. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,011
    Medals:
    I heard his funeral will be delayed because the instructions to assemble his flat pack coffin are incomprehensible.

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    I read that his full name was Ingvar Feodor Kamprad.

Apparently, "Elmtaryd" is the name of the farm he grew up on. And "Agunnaryd" is the name of the parish where he grew up!

7. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Well, it's a bit disrespectful to bring that up at this time, IMO! :hat: We have all made bad choices or decisions at one point or another. And I should hope that they are not mentioned when you've just passed away!

R.I.P. Ingvar :rip:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,140
    Medals:
    Wait... I have Nazi furniture?

9. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,011
    Medals:
    There are bad choices and there's being a Nazi sympathiser which is on a totally different scale of bad choices. Just because someone is dead doesn't mean we should forget about his failings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    RIP Mr Ikea/kamprad

But have to say I dont like their stuff, once went on a works outing to Ikea in Newcastle - we hired a bus, big day out as everyone talked about Ikea and we wanted to see what the fuss is about and it was the closest.

I bought 2 candles, that was my lot, didnt really like the quality - went back in when they did build one closer and couldnt find my way out of the shop, I thought i was doomed t saty there for hours!

my friend does recommend their meatballs tho!

no matter where you fly into, you usually see an Ikea just before landing so he has made his mark and krona/£££/$$$

lol @Angela Channing

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    I wasn't talking about forgetting, but rather forgiving!

After all, he was 16 when he signed up and thus still a child who had yet a lot of growing up to do. And he was "out" by the time when he was in his 20s. I'd say that he likely was brainwashed in some way and still in the process of developing his own identy!

I imagine that most people have said or done stuff in their youth that they'd wish they could take back or erase! And the rich and famous probably aren't any different than the rest of us!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Once you've been to an IKEA store a couple of times, you begin to pick up on how to make it through the "jungle" without feeling lost! And also how to find the shortcuts (i.e. escape routes) when desired! Mind you, IKEA uses the same "system" throughout the world! ;)

PS. One of my children's favorite fastfood meals is actually IKEA's famous swedish meatballs (beef, not chicken) with mashed potatoes, cream sauce, and lingonberry jam! :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,011
    Medals:
    Did he ever apologise for recruiting people to the Nazi Party? He was totally unapologetic about his friendship with fascist politician Per Engdahl up until his death. Did he use any of his many millions to help any of the victims of Nazi atrocities as a sign of contrition?

Yes of course people should be forgiven for things they did in their past but shouldn't they show full remorse for their actions first?

14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,593
    Medals:
    He was confronted by the press about it some years ago and said that he was ashamed about it.

Anyway I think we need to understand that the generation that Mr. Kamprad belonged to has a different perspective than we do. They actually lived through the Second World War. It's easy to see now that Hitler was evil but it might not have been as easy to see then in the beginning of the conflict that escalated into the Second World War. Let's not forget that at first the German people got it better when he seized the power. They were able to afford cars, he built new highways, the depression turned around, they hosted the Olympics. It was only later on that people realized what he was doing. So well Mr. Kamprad had a German paternal grandmother and hence were most likely influenced by her POV.

15. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +742
    They eventually completed assembling his coffin but there are several screws left over.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,730
    Medals:
    The reason why I brought up his shameful past is because it tends to be swept under the rug. He's IKEA's founder, so better keep his dirty past hidden....
    Many Swedes are throwing their sad RIPs around the web, calling him "a fine man", "one of the greastest people of Sweden" and all kinds of superlatives. Yes, he created one of the world's biggest chains of stores and many many people are working and getting their paycheck from IKEA, but......... Let's not sweep history under the rug. So many people today are denying the Holocaust and more and more people are sympathizing with the nazis. So I think it's important to talk about.

I don't like that he was forced into giving money to charity. He was for a long time critisized for being cheap. He realized that it was hurting his brand, so then he finally opened the IKEA wallet and started giving money to UNICEF and other charities. "Hey look at me, I'm helping the poor too!" It's too transparent for my taste. I give to charity without owning billions of money. Nor to I advertise it so that everyone knows about it.

But anyway, the man, the human, Ingvar Kamprad - rest in piece. For millions of people, you did really really good. And that's worth celebrating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,041
    Medals:
    I don't think anyone involved in Nazism should ever be forgiven. Even if they have it in them to apologise.

18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,041
    Medals:
    Have to disagree. Being part of or associated with a Nazi party isn't just a bad choice. :( What about those who were killed as a result of the fact he recruited people to the Nazi party?

Any 'good' that he may have done is ruled out for me due to his association with this evil evil part of history.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,011
    Medals:
    :clap::clap::clap:

20. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,011
    Medals:
    I have some sympathy for what you're saying because the crimes of the Nazis were particularly heinous so I can totally understand why some people would never forgive people associated with them. However, some people with a Nazi past have not only renounced the evil of their former beliefs but have also sincerely tried to make recompense for their previous actions and I think such people can sometimes be forgiven.

As far as I can tell Ingvar Kamprad only ever said he "regretted" his involvement with the Nazis but never gave a full and unconditional apology. He continued to associate with and defend a fascist leader until his death. This doesn't appear to be a man who showed any genuine remorse for his Nazi past but a man who only played lip service to criticism of his fascist beliefs to minimise damaged to the Ikea brand.