Outside Reviews and Links I'm giving up

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Dec 17, 2017.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,557
    I'm no longer going to be actively watching Nu Dynasty, despite the stark and jarringly obvious flaws from the original, it at least was interesting for most of its run, even during it's worst years!

So much is wrong with this reboot, they've gone all out camp when in truth camping things up was what ruined Dynasty in the first go round, the difference is the original had the likes of
    John Forsythe, Linda Evans, PSM, Joan Collins, etc etc carrying the show, Nicolette Sheridan I hope will save the show, she's very weighty as an actress and like her or not Desperate Housewives tanked after she left in season 5.

Joan Collins might've been wrong in saying that THE COLBY'S killed old Dynasty, but this time around The Colby's ARE killing it over and over and its excruciatingly painful to watch, Claudia and Stansfield, are more intriguing and quite frankly would make better long term foes, heck ditch the Colby's and replace them with the Fallmont's if need be!

"Cristal" -_- is annoying, maybe its the actress or how she's written but I simply cannot root for her this time around, Steven is also a bit blah.

The incidental music is too much to bear, and I think that Nu Dynasty will be lucky if it reaches its third season.

Lets give up on shows from the past we're nearly in the 2020s, which means by then all our beloved soaps will be forty years old by then, lets leave them in the 1980s and remember them, for better or worse, for what they were: Good shows that we loved and still love to this day.

I'm sorry to rain on anyone's parade if you enjoy Nu Dynasty don't let my dissatisfaction ruin it for you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Agree! Claudia, Stansfield and even Cesil would make good foes yet with Cesil it's ruined well before anything happens. Jeff and Monica are both ruined already.

I'm only giving the show one more episode where I watch first run and I have to watch because I at least like the show. If the Colby's are as dull and ruined as they've been since day 1, I'm done making sure I watch first run...if I forget, hey, I forget.

But it seems they won't be improved one bit. If Jeff reveals to himself he lied to his father and really loved Fallon along with that stupid company opening and actually having employees instead of a poorly lit gross set, then it will be an improvement. If Monica and Michael wake up from sex and she tells him she had the eyes for him for years, then maybe that will be forgiven that she just went to him without any real build up.

But if not, forget it! Those two characters could easily be improved and more believable if that sort of stuff happened at the start of episode 10.

Iris should stick around. A lot don't care for her from the reviews. Her still alive husband should stick around as well. But the whole thing with Blake knowing he was alive was stupid. Just stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,687
    Much has been written why TNT Dallas failed. I'm guessing it won't be long before the chatter will begin regarding the demise of Dynasty 2.0. It's highly unlikely Nicolette Sheridan will be able to save this version like Joan Collins did with Dynasty back in the 80's. There was something special/mysterious/surprising surrounding the emergence of the former Mrs. Carrington. This time around it won't matter. Everybody knows/knew the former Mrs. Carrington had to make her grand appearance at some point. While Nicolette has an edginess about her it won't be enough to save this version. I'm not wanting to kill the show, I'm just being matter of fact.

With TNT Dallas the show-runner had no no clue what made those early years of Dallas must watch television. The same could be said of Dynasty 2.0. What is it with TV types today wishing to re-boot past shows but completely miss the mark? I agree with your sentiment that it's best if this genre is laid to rest. Enjoy our fondness for what Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest and Knots Landing offered to us in the 80's and 90's, despite their faults at times. With the current climate of viewing today, whether by streaming, binge watching and other means nothing will recapture that magic most of us shared back then.

May 80's Super Soaps R.I.P. :(

Long live Soapchat :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    You're probably right, and it makes me kind of sad. :(
    I know i'll keep watching nuDynasty, but i don't really care what happens on there and when the cancellation will be announced one day, it won't bother me too much.
    But not all new shows are bad, i'm still a big fan of "Grimm" which ran for 6 seasons on NBC until this march and i'm still devastated that it got cancelled. I'm very deep invested in that show and it's characters as well, and it held the same kind of "magic" for me. So maybe not all is lost. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,557
    There's new material out there, Riverdale for one, which is head and shoulders above Nu Dynasty.

Its like TPTB have only watched seasons 6-8 of Old Dynasty with a smattering of other seasons and the Colby's, bear in mind
    Seasons 6 thru 8 are universally known as the worst years of Dynasty, for its lack of direction, over use of camp, and constant backpedaling of its storylines.

However if the new writers had watched anything of The Colby's and Season 9, then they would know that Monica was a successful lawyer and part owner with Dominique Deveraux of Titania Records, had an illicit affair with a rival family's son and gives birth to their illegitimate son, plus the fact that Tracy Scoggins was far more weighty than this new actress, yet this Monica does nothing at all except stand there next to Fallon, says a few lines to Jeff has daddy issues and exits stage left, that's literally all she does!

The time for Dynasty to return to our screens has long since passed, and even then it should've been a continuation, not a reboot, I may dip into it every so often only to see if Adam and Amanda are mentioned or show up, but aside from that I'll go back to watching new shows.

6. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I heard Riverdale is based on Haverhill, Mass...my Dad and his parents moved from Sicily to there in 1970. I also think the Archie writer was from there or something, but for sure they based it off of Haverhill as that's what it said in my local paper. Haverhill is two cities away from my hometown of Lawrence, which could be a nighttime soap in itself based on all the gangs and drama that happens there.

The Riverdale in the Archie comics, not sure about the series. Haverhill has ghetto slums and also nice areas. Whereas Lawrence is mostly ghetto. Yet Andover where George Bush went to high school at a Phillips Academy and where Jay Leno worked his first job at McDonald's is posh and on the border of Lawrence.

Article on Riverdale and Haverhill:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...lly-haverhill/BfqomP1oovXn8grCZrjEiP/amp.html

srd

7. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I was at AFM in San Diego, talking to other creators in the industry, and if Dynasty 2 gets a second season, it's going to get some heavy competition from the new serial dramas that are coming, but that haven't been announced yet. It took some time, but the "Empire effect" will really be starting in the next four years.

8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,939
    And also why it didn't fail:)
    The difference is that OldDynasty created a villain who could compete with JR. It wasn't because the first season wasn't good, on the contrary, it's probably the best season of all soaps.
    But it wasn't the hit series they had hoped it would be.
    The addition of actress Joan Collins helped improve the ratings, not the quality. And then season 2 was another winner.
    I don't really care how many people watch my favourite shows, or whether a show is a worldwide hit or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,504
    Welcome to the world of Dallas fans @ThornyXmasTreeNat89 :ch: who thought TNT Dallas sucked and were glad when it was put out of its misery!
    Couldnt come soon enough.

I feel your pain, Ive been there, done that and have the T shirt. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    But i like the 2nd half of S6 very much. :( And 6A is fun too, i love Rita and enjoy Krystle suffering in the attic!!! :D
    Of my Dynasty DVD collection Sesons 6 and 9 are the worst worn out...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,939
    TNT Dallas has nothing to do with CW Dynasty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Speaking of Rita, I got to work with George Hamilton behind the scenes at The Price Is Right. Didn't know who he was until I searched him! I was born in 1982 and I never stayed up beyond 7:30pm on week nights so I missed a lot of TV until I was 10 and able to stay up until 10!

13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991

Oh BF, you never fail to show up when there's a thread about quitting a show.

As for your comment here

Please don't group me into that. I'm very happy to be a Dallas fan just as I was more than happy with TNT Dallas. I never wanted it cancelled, I was disappointed it was cancelled.

I was also disappointed that some people cheering on the cancellation, because that is just mean-spirited. Why would you rejoice at something getting cancelled when it brought joy to other viewers?

I have lost count of how many times you've posted the same views on TNT Dallas, why can't you use that energy and post about the original series? Ya know, something that you actually enjoyed.

For someone who hated TNT Dallas, you sure like to post about it over and over and over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,222
    To be honest, I thought Dallas TNT was much better than this new Dynasty series, I think I will watch this show until the last episode of season 1.

But this new Dynasty does not know how to hold on my attention, since I've only seen seven episodes, and I'm not really in a hurry to watch more episodes, says enough for me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Well, I started watching the show when they announced Nicollette Sheridan's casting because I wanted to catch up on the storylines before her entrance but this is not a very good show. The last three episodes have been an improvement, that is without a doubt but they seriously need to step up their game. No more Gossip Girl elements, they need better writers who are able to thoroughly plan out the season with the beginning, the middle and the end (including proper twists, turns and cliffhangers). These characters are underdeveloped. I mean, look at Fallon. What do we really know about her? She's sort of slutty, selfish, snippy, ambitious, betrayed by her mommy's absence, in need of daddy's love and acceptance but all we get are endless "business scenes" with her and Jeff, meaningless conversations between her and Monica (their alleged friendship is boring), getting jealous of Michael, bitchy lines when she's around Cristal, Sammy Jo and pretty much everybody else. I don't blame you for giving up.

And by the way, I really enjoyed the first two seasons of TNT's Dallas. Season 3 was a creative disaster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Quitters!!!

Funnily enough I remember quite enjoying TNTDallas season three, though some creative "choices" stuck out to me to say the least. I don't think the overall show is good when you start analysing it - nothing should fall apart that easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,222
    To be honest, I'm watching DallasTNT season 3 now for the first time en at this moment i really like this season 3.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,939

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    We're in this to win it!

In all honesty, I've invested nine episodes into this mess - what's another hundred? These little p-word are just that. With nightime soaps you go HARD or go HOME!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,687
    I haven't watched NuDynasty (I've yet to make the decision to subscribe to Netflix) but from reading most of the posts regarding the new series it appears to missing a moral compass. Is there not one character to root for? If not, was is the point of watching? Characters just constantly sniping at each other wears thin. Even THE character we all loved to hate, JR Ewing, would often display a warmth to show the guy was still human, it's how we relate to people. For me to invest in a series I need that connection to characters. This mess sounds like one I wouldn't enjoy at all.

Despite its faults in later seasons I did enjoy watching Dynasty because of Linda Evans. NuDynasty sounds like it desperately requires an actor or actress with depth.

• Like Like x 1