Classic Soaps (I'm Still) Watching Another World

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Canon, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    If you are referring to the secret of who fathered her baby...oh, yes. We are talking Hiroshima-level blowing up in her face. The clever way they plotted the secret becoming known always struck me as Janice reaching out from the grave to continue ruining Mac and Rachel's lives.

2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,450
    I had no idea. They hide it well. I've always had a soft spot for Clarice and I'm enjoying her this time around--even though she's not much more than a talk-to at this point. I've read she has a pretty heavy story coming up in the near-ish future. I'm looking forward to see how she does with the material. I'd love to have seen how she did versus Iris when they were fighting over Robert.

It's interesting because it is a fairly well cast group and yet the writers don't end up making it stick. Then a few years later the show will introduce a similarly wealthy family, the Loves, who manage to make a pretty major impact on the show. I think they managed to integrate the Loves more.

I really have enjoyed the set up to Mitch's shooting and the way it played out with the prowlers and the stolen ID and the fire in the stables.

3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    I recall watching this two-day event when it originally aired and didn't like it. Now? It's kind of neat, especially overdressed Iris and all that Sharly foreshadowing...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I’m in the first week of January 1981 and the show has gone so far downhill since the new writer took over at the beginning of December. In lightening speeding she wrote off almost all of the new characters. I feel that was a mistake in the case of the Holloway family who I would’ve continued developing. The two that remained (Kit and her brother) were the most boring. I also know we’re going to get another Jerry soon and from what I’ve read of his upcoming story I don’t look forward to that.

One new character I love is Leigh Hobson. Surprisingly he’s played by a Brady kid, Christopher Knight and he’s not a bad dramatic character. Now that I’ve fallen in love with Clarice and Larry I appreciate any attempt to expand their family. Along with Blaine, I feel this is a really strong group of actors and characters.

Overall I find the show to feel a bit slow in its new pacing. I know we have a Sally recast coming as well as Alice so I’m curious how things will be once they can focus on their own stories. I have to say, the end to the Mitch saga is another disappointment. Killing off Charlie (and mostly keeping Ada off screen) is just shameful. There had to be a better way to get Rachel out. I feel like they’re in a bit of a transition so I’m going to be patient and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1