Classic Soaps (I'm Still) Watching Another World

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Canon, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    Medals:
    Since David Canary was already well-known from prime-time, he had an added advantage when they cast him for the role. I think they recognized that if they were going to do a triangle involving Mac and Rachel, the 'third' had to be meaningful to Rachel, not just some new man. Mac/Rachel had become a pairing the fans refused to give up on, even as they broke up and made up sporadically. The show already had done so many new characters that didn't work out. I think the viewers simply didn't grab onto 'NuSteve' because too much had changed in Bay City, though it would have been even more of a dud if they had not given the part to an actor as good as Canary. I wasn't watching during that period, but from what I've read on the subject, Canary's take on the character was not very much like Reinholt's, which added to the "too much time has passed/too much has happened" feeling. Original Steve Frame was seen as a unique character when he showed up on TV, but this Steve was sort of derivative of other anti-hero characters seen on other soaps. Blame that on the writing, I think--since Harding Lemay had such a firm vision of Steve when he created the character, but writers who 'inherit' characters others have created rarely do them justice.

Every successive writing regime during this period had that pressure being placed on them to recapture the era of AW's greatest success (which most people still remembered--it was only three or four years previously), but the network did not understand that they needed to build on their successes, not re-live them over and over. They were all in a panic, though, because General Hospital's very different take on daytime soaps during this period was sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

BTW, today (May 4) is AW's birthday/anniversary. AW premiered 55 years ago today!
    (May the Fourth Be With Bay City!)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +318
    David Canary made no sense as Steve. And it made no sense that he’d have any romantic interest in Rachel. He was DONE with her in the mid 70s, before he was “killed” in the plane crash. We knew this was just a desperate attempt to recapture the Alice/Steve/Rachel story magic, even though all the actors had changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    It's a shame the AOL episodes end literally on the episode everybody learns Steve is back because I want to see the aftermath of all of this. I'm going to start what 1982 episodes there are and see what I can still pick up. From the beginning though, I LOVE that Steve has come back practically obsessed with Alice and when he met her she didn't recognize him nor want anything to do with him. On the flip side, Rachel instantly recognized him on his voice alone and seems more interested in forgiving him. I thought that was a nice touch. I also feel like he has good chemistry with Victoria Wyndham. Granted I've only seen a handful of episodes with the original Steve, but I didn't find him to be a good actor so I don't really mind David Canary. I don't think the writing does him any favors though. He admits he had his memory back and he just decided to create a new life with a new family and abandon his son? That doesn't work for me.

4. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I finally finished the last of the AOL run from 1981 and have jumped to the 1982 playlist which unfortunately I think has like 20 episodes or less. I know many have said this year is one of the worst, but I would've much rather watched this than 1981 based on what I've seen so far. It did make me sad that the first two episodes available are Pat and then Marianne's exit, but I see they added some interesting black characters. I had no idea AW had so many black characters in the early 80s. If only to see their story I'd love to see this full year. Such a shame AOL didn't keep going with the episodes.

5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    Medals:
    They even had Morgan Freeman playing two roles. The last of that group of characters, Quinn Harding, ended up murdered by the town's serial killer in 1987, though the majority of the characters were simply written out due to lack of story. I always thought Petronia Paley (who played Quinn) got the shaft in that story, since they simply could not grasp the concept of a smart, competent businesswoman (she ultimately ended up owning Frame/Harding Construction) who wasn't all weepy/screechy and/or obsessed with men.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 8)