Classic Soaps (I'm Still) Watching Another World

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Canon, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Sorry if that's a spoiler, but it's difficult to remember the timeline of daytime soaps with eight stories going at once. :) So she HAS arrived, at least. Her initial storyline is definitely Jamie-centric, so there's plenty more to see.

Jamie Frame had more new and existing female characters thrown at him than just about any character I know of. Keep in mind that before he'd even met Vicky Hudson, he'd already been married and divorced twice. He also had about seven or eight broken engagements in addition to the one with Marley Hudson, most notably with Stacey Winthrop (back when she was played by another actress and thus not coma-inducing), Lisa Grady (Felicia's saccharine niece) and Nicole Love (Donna's younger sister who was unfortunately addicted to cocaine at the time).

Rachel absolutely detested her first two daughters-in-law (with good reason) and of course you see how Rachel arches her eyebrow every time Vicky walks into a room....but I think Rachel would have been thrilled to have Marley as her daughter-in-law. Who wouldn't? That pairing really should have worked out. Unfortunately Jamie dates (and dumps) the goody-goodies, but marries (and divorces) the conniving schemers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Hello
    AW150.jpg

Goodbye
    AW151.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Yes, but Allison Hossack returned to her native Canada to a very successful series of guest appearances and recurring roles on Canadian TV. Notable to this thread was her supporting role on a Canadian-produced series called Cobra. This series (syndicated in the US) had her playing a mysterious woman helping the lead character with his weekly crime-solving. In one episode, we found out one of the reasons she was so secretive about her personal life was because she had a secret child with a man named David Campbell. I don't think it was a coincidence that they wrote this into that series, since Olivia Matthews had left AW with her daughter Sarah and a man named David Campbell. AW was a very popular soap opera in Canada, so I'm guessing some clever writer decided to have a nice in-joke referring to Hossack's time on AW.

As for Carl....well, he's like a bad penny, but they will give Charles Keating a LOT of varying material to play other than one-note villain. He even gets a few more chances at fatherhood!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I was a bit disappointed that Olivia didn't get a final scene with Aunt Liz. Her exit felt rather abrupt.

It's very sad what happened to the actor who played David. It would sound unbelievable even for a soap plot...

https://bolstablog.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/farewell-jim/

Not Jenna! He may be responsible for some wicked deeds, but not even Carl deserves that!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Carl had one child you never met; two you will meet if you continue to watch long enough; and...one you've already met.

I shall not spoil it any more for you...except to hint that the offspring in question will be even more surprised than the father will be.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,244
    Anna Stuart is looking well, but I can't help but want to picture her with Kale Brown. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Ada gets a storyline (lovely)...

AW152.jpg

Sam has suddenly burst into song (I didn't see that one coming)...

AW153.jpg

Oh, and Rick Madison is dead. Ryan is in the frame for killing him and has gone on the run...

AW154.jpg

A master of disguise!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    I recall watching those Constance Ford scenes when they first aired. Man, how time flies. The show used that CF/VW scene ("That woman had a big mouth!") several more times over the years in various clip shows and anniversaries. And at that point, CF was the closest the show had to an original cast member.

I'm sure you figured it out, but the reason Sam Fowler suddenly has such a nice singing voice is because the show wanted to tailor the role to Brian L. Green's talents. It's an unfortunate tradition in soapland to give characters radical career changes when the plot suits them. I must admit I never really enjoyed this blonder version of Sam Fowler.

That's a....really unfortunate lumberjack beard, Ryan--all that's missing is an ax slung over your shoulder.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Exactly 25 years ago!

And isn't the character coming towards the end of her time on the show, not sure if they knew that at this stage but it gives a greater significance to Ada's current situation.

Yes, I could see him in a musical. I've said it before but Sam is now very removed from the brooding artist I met when I first started watching.

It switches from a lumberjack to a fisherman type look.

I was scanning the protest pictures, hoping to see Anna/Donna in the background getting dragged away in handcuffs.

AW88.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    I think (hope :bag:) she isn't going to these protests and such with him. The protest in the article mentions virtually everyone involved, and I think they would have added her in (if not just as "Cromwell's wife") if she'd been there. Barely a week after he got out of jail he was seen (filmed) leading a protest at Sea World, so maybe she's at home sitting by the phone, waiting for him to call for bail money.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    AW155.jpg

"Ryan, I am your father!"

AW156.jpg

Please don't let me fall to my death...

Haha! Looks like Another World is a small old world considering that the mysterious woman Carl had an affair with 20-something years ago just happened to be Justine Harrison, the wife and mother of Carl's adversaries in the present.

It's like the coincidence of how Carl found and groomed Lorna, who just happened to be daughter of Felicia, another former love of Carl's. Had Carl been involved with Felicia by the time he met Lorna? Surely it would be more interesting and scandalous if Carl had sought out Lorna knowing she was Felicia's daughter.

Anyhows, this latest twist is absolutely brilliant. After the confrontation with Ryan at the building site, an injured Carl wanders off and finds shelter in the Cory stables. Rachel finds him there, and in his confused state he mistakes her for Justine. This is a really well played scene between the two, Rachel almost seems to feel for Carl as he shares his excitement about having discovered he has a son. She's also very worried about what he'll do now that he knows.

AW157.jpg

David Hedison is also really good as Spencer, he tells Ryan that he always knew he wasn't his real father but didn't know who was until now. And I had to laugh at Ryan's realisation that he isn't actually Irish, which is why he was never any good at "the blarney" like Spencer and Grant.

AW158.jpg

AW159.jpg

Poor Ryan, he's just found out that his father is a supervillain, he's also in jail for a murder he didn't commit and has to deal with his girlfriend sleeping with his brother. It's all happening!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    You have no idea how hard it was to keep that a secret. I wasn't sure you'd get to the point where they revealed it. I'm glad it's finally out there!

And yes, Carl discovering Ryan (and vice versa) opens up so many avenues for the character of Carl. It's difficult to fully explain just how this rocks his World. A lot more than Ryan's, oddly enough. They just keep throwing crap at Ryan and he's able to roll with the punches!

Rachel, more than just about anybody in town, can identify with long-lost children popping up when you least expect it. Mac had a son, Sandy, pop up in the early 1980s (up-ending the household when he and Jamie became rivals), and of course you saw Paulina pop up and cause a World of hurt after Mac died. Luckily, Carl's pop-up kid isn't a troublemaker like Paulina was (or Lorna was for Felicia). Carl's other son Perry (who died in the mid-1980s on the show) was similarly sweet and heroic, not an evil bone in his body either. So maybe it's more nurture than nature?

And the idea that Carl sees long-dead Justine when he sees Rachel is also a major plot point to file away.

Timing of such things is so nebulous; any writer could have ret-conned that situation to go in either direction, depending on what they wanted to write. We are told that Felicia met Carl while in Europe, during a period of her life when she was this celebrated author who partied the night away (rather than the down-to-earth type we know now). It was hinted that he was using her from the beginning, that he only seduced her because it was well known that her books were published by Cory Publishing--and his whole existence back then revolved around revenge against Mac Cory for Carl's father's death (long story--just go with it). He wormed his way into her life as an excuse to get closer to his mortal enemy (early 1980s). Felicia had of course given Lorna up for adoption before her success as an author. While the back-story would suggest Carl could have cared less about Felicia back then (she was just a tool in his revenge plot), a soap writer could easily have twisted the back-story to say he found Lorna for (whatever reason) back then and just kept her identity secret because he was just a rotten person in general.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It was close, the well is starting to run dry. I have to admit that 1992 has been a bit of a drag at times so it's really frustrating that the show is getting exciting again just as I'm coming to the end of my stock of episodes. It's going to be a lot harder to say goodbye to Bay City than I thought!

Yeah, like Paulina WAS. Heaven forbid that the new saintly Paulina would ever cause a bit of mischief.

I'm surprised Felicia hasn't at least thought to question this or at least acknowledge the coincidence.

Well, Iris having seen a photo of Justine has confirmed a resemblance to Rachel. And Spencer has just erupted when Iris enquired about the circumstances of Justine's death...

Oh, and according to Frankie, someone is about to die! Damn her and her spoilers!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Saint Paulina indeed. Cry Me A River ought to be her character's theme song.

I'm guessing the slump in storytelling would be the transition period from Donna Swajeski as Head Writer to Peggy Sloane, who got promoted when DS didn't renew her contract. Over the years I've noticed a "cycle" where a Head Writer comes in with guns blazing, full of ideas and energy. Over time, the heavy work load wears them out. They start falling back on clichés and repeating themselves. By the time they decide to leave the Head Writing duties, their stuff is kind of...lackluster at best, and in many cases downright awful. They either leave on their own, or get fired by the network. The newly hired Head Writer then starts the cycle over again. In this case, Sloane was a "Breakdown Writer" already on staff rather than some stranger hired off the street. Breakdown Writers are tasked with taking all the ideas of the Head Writer and timing the revelations for maximum dramatic impact (keeping the show suspenseful, balanced, etc.) so Sloane was a good choice for a replacement...but it's hard to move into the boss's chair when the boss is still occupying it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    This Sharlene recast will take some getting used to...

AW160.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    Yeah, I've seen some radical recasts, but this one would take the cake!

I was never sure what they were trying to do with Lily Tran. Seriously, I'm still....puzzled. I can only guess David Forsyth (John) had a contractual guarantee of X number of appearances per week (as all actors had/have) and since they couldn't come up with a decent story to get him interacting with the main cast, they hired a supporting character just for him to have scenes with. Luckily, a couple of folks from John's more immediate past return eventually and give him more to do than this.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    And now....a word from our sponsors.

*Side effects may include ricotta cheese addiction, boring wardrobe, multiple personalities, and presumed death. Please consult a physician (unless the physician is a diminuative psycho stalker with Felicia Gallant-style hair, in which case RUN!!)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I quite like the idea that Sharlene got washed up somewhere as Sharly and is now pushing prescription drugs.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,244
    Several years ago while watching TV, I was delighted (?) when they aired Stephen Schnetzer's voiceover commercial for Advil back-to-back with Alice Barrett's commercial for whatever product she was hocking (a pharmaceutical of some note). I thought, "Oh, Cass and Frankie, together again." :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017