Classic Soaps (I'm Still) Watching Another World

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Canon, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    ...and there was that horrible (but mercifully brief) period when Schnetzer was doing a voice-over for Flonase (the nasal spray) as a cartoon bee with a cheesy French accent. I hope the awfulness was intentional, because I've never seen Schnetzer do a bad job at anything. Even that questionable plotline where he played Cass and his murderous lookalike Rex was tolerable because he (and his main scene partner, Anne Marie Howard) sold it despite the inherent soapiness of it all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    AW161.jpg

<< gasps >>
    He dead! He dead!

3. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    Lucas: "Lorna, you're....strangling...me...can't...breathe...."
    Jenna: "Oh no, Felicia's gonna start crying and the snot's gonna go everywhere."
    Felicia: "Oh, boy...Emmy, here I come!"

• Like Like x 2
  4. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Ha, Linda Dano is certainly embracing this opportunity!

Much praise to Alicia Coppola. I think you once made a comment about how she is the natural successor to Anne Heche. I didn't really get it then as at that time most of Lorna scenes were of her arguing endlessly with Matt and Dean about record contracts. However, she's really come into her own recently and you can see her becoming the center of everything. Little wonder why Coppola is one of those actors who has seemingly been in just about everything over the years.

AW161.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Wasn't that Antonio Banderas as the Nasonex bee? :D

6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    SS did it first (I thought it was Flonase, but obviously not), and then they transitioned to someone else (likely AB). I was relieved because the accent was awful and it was not normal to be repelled by anything done by Schnetzer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I was glad to see him show up on BLUE BLOODS last season, even if the role was rather, um, shocking.

CassFelicia.JPG

Felicia wasn't crazy about it, though :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    Ooh, did he have any scenes with Amy Carlson?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I wish! Unfortunately no; their stories didn't cross over. :( Much like when William R. Moses appeared on CASTLE, any reunion between former castmates would have occurred off-camera. My friend and I keep hoping (dreaming?) that Anna Holbrook and David Forsyth will show up someday as her character's parents :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Unfortunately any chances for what I suggested will never come to pass, for
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Yes, I read about that. I've never watched the show properly but wasn't it more of a supporting role as the wife of Donald Wahlberg's character? I'd imagine it would have been frustrating for an actress like her to be given little to do. Aren't actors still tied to 7 year contracts on network shows? Seems like she got out as soon as she could.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Though it was mainly a supporting role, she was still an essential member of the family who had appeared in every episode. There were definitely attempts to give her more story as the show progressed; she played a large role in the season five finale. So while she may have felt the need to depart as soon as the seven-year contract was up--we'll never know for sure what the circumstances were--to me she was the matriarch of the show.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    I said that because she left Third Watch for similar reasons, her character was a paramedic and a firefighter but the show had started to move its focus almost entirely on to the police department characters. She was given a very memorable on-screen exit from that show!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    When I read of her departure, it seemed as if there were more to it than just "my contract's up, so I'm outta here." She exited with a classy good-bye and all, but there just seemed like more going on. Shows get more expensive as they age (raises for the cast, crew, etc.) and cuts can be made very quietly...especially if the actors don't blab to the press. Whomever chose not to renew her contract, I think she won't have trouble finding work. She's got a couple of notable roles under her belt and comes across as a team player.

She's a long way from those first rocky months on Another World. She was new, very green...and it was probably six weeks or so before fans stopped remarking on how bad she was! Granted, they had her playing a popular, returning character and had that unfortunate returning storyline, surrounded by veterans of the soap. Eventually she became a fan favorite in her own right. It just takes some actors a bit longer to get used to the pace of a soap.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    AW00000000.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    This actually makes sense. Both actresses were on Guiding Light during a very good period--Judi being the newcomer, and Beverlee the seasoned veteran. You're likely aware that McKinsey became the daytime icon that she is by playing the absolute hell out of the role of Iris Cory Carrington, et. al, one of the best-written and acted roles in the history of daytime. On GL she played a matriarch-type role onscreen and off, since the show in that period (the early/mid 1980s) was full of young, talented actors being "discovered".
    Judi won an Emmy her very first year on the show, and hearing that she was taking tips and advice from Beverlee McKinsey tells me that she was smart even in that early period of her career.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    McKinsey was likely the best actress to ever grace daytime. It's criminal that she didn't have a mantel full of Emmy awards, but then again look how many years Jeanne Cooper had to wait for one...:re:

18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    The main reason Beverlee McKinsey didn't get an Emmy for "Iris" was the same reason Victoria Wyndham never got an Emmy for "Rachel"--their best work was with one another (and Douglass Watson), so when the Academy was voting for Best Actress Emmys, the vote was split. If VW and BMcK had agreed to "sit out" alternate years (that is, not submit work to be considered), they could have guaranteed themselves Emmys every other year! Instead, we had Irene Dailey (Aunt Liz) win one year over both of them, and not-exactly-household-name Laurie Heineman (who was the original Sharlene Frame) win over them the year before that. Not that they were not totally deserving, but it was a crime that neither McKinsey nor Wyndham got the Emmy love that Douglass Watson did (two, back-to-back Best Actor trophies).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1