Classic Soaps (I'm Still) Watching Another World

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Canon, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    I went down a nostalgic Another World Youtube wormhole today. I was watching episodes from 1993. Grant and Vicki are newlyweds. Alicia Coppola is still around as Lorna. Jake and Paulina are on the rocks thanks to Rachel. Amanda is unraveling the truth about Spencer's role in all the threats Grant and Vicki were facing leading up to their wedding and Vicki's kidnapping. Frankie is about to be arrested for allegedly helping Patti D'arbanville's husband kill himself. Ryan is being handsome and sexy and heroic and a good friend to Frankie.

I wish there were more episodes from this era.

Oh how I miss seeing Victoria Wyndham and Anna Stuart on my tv screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    Currently watching late March 1993 (and then there's no more episodes until summer 1993): I really like this era of the Ryan/Vicki/Grant stuff. Ryan and Grant don't hate each other yet. Vicki has some genuine feelings for Grant (though they're not as strong as her feelings for Ryan) and Spencer is more the villain at the moment than Grant.

Ryan's relationship with boring Brett is just starting to develop. I'm not a huge fan of Coleen Dion.

Rachel, Iris and Amanda interacting at Brava and referencing Mac!! I love that Brava is still involved at this point in the show and I love how they are working it into the Grant/Spencer stuff.

This is like comfort food.

3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    August 1993 and it's the Matthew with an icky ponytail and Christine Tucci as Amanda era. While I always had a soft spot for Sandi Ferguson's Amanda, I remember not minding Tucci's take on the character. I remember her being smarter and more sophisticated and a little more calculating than Ferguson's Amanda, but I could be remembering wrong. It's been 25+ years.

Rachel and Iris are fairly chummy at this point in the show and I don't love it.

Matt's dating Brett now and together they are creating a giant black hole of boringness.

Dean and Jenna: I wasn't ever a fan of those characters at any point in their runs and I still find them annoying and boring respectively.

Why wasn't Paul Michael Valley a bigger star? He's so sexy and he's a good actor.

4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    Medals:
    I recall the Head Writer going to the soap mags and humble-bragging about how she planned this big, intricate and suspenseful storyline for Cass and Frankie, predicting that it would be their "biggest challenge yet" and all that. Though the actors gave it their all, the story went down like a lead balloon. Soap Opera Weekly did a cover story on the plotline (with the three main actors on the cover), and it earned the dubious honor of being the worst-selling edition of the magazine's entire run. But I bought it anyway. :D
    The joke at the time was that when Christy Carson was committed to the institution for the criminally insane, her roommates ought to have been Nicole Love (fellow Cass 'devotee') and Taylor Benson (murderously obsessed with John Hudson). They'd sit around swooning over 'their men' and plotting to kill Frankie and/or Sharlene.

I think VW would have continued working in soaps (even if just in short-term/recurring gigs) if P&G had not treated her (and AW in general) so shabbily in the final two years of AW. Anna Stuart kept doing soap work in the 2000s but once she married James Cromwell, it seemed she pretty much retired. She still looks fabulous, though; I see pictures of them attending various fundraisers and award shows. Neither actress seems to like living in LA, and of course all the soaps tape there now.

Ditto...though I think Dion was a better 'fit' with Morgan later on.

That's exactly how I'd describe CT's Amanda, and at the time I welcomed the evolution of the character. They made her into "her mother's daughter" (even the resemblance) rather than the "daddy's princess" we saw with Sandi Ferguson (at least in her first run as Amanda). I would have been perfectly happy with CT and her version of Amanda moving onwards, but of course Jill the Pill had other ideas.

I often wondered the same. Conventional wisdom at the time said PMV was so angry at Jill Farren Phelps for firing Christine Tucci (PMV's fiancée at the time) that he wanted to quit but was held to his contract. He left when his contract ran out, while JFP used the opportunity to pair Vicky with Jake once Ryan was dead and buried. Maybe JFP soured him on soaps. He moved on to stage work (plays like 1776). And from the shallow end of the pool, PMV lost a lot of his boyish good looks (and that marvelous curly hair) once he hit his forties, which might have influenced his disappearance from soaps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    I remember when I originally watched being very intrigued and interested in the story when it first started out. There was something dark and gothic about it and I enjoyed D'Arbanville at first, partly I'm sure because she reminded me of my favorite, Cecile and partly because I always find D'Arbanville enjoyably eccentric. But I remember finding the story being a dull dud as it played it and being disappointed.

I bought it too. I subscribed to it back then and got it in the mail every week.

Oh that would have been fun! So, was this post Sharlene/Taylor then? I couldn't remember the time table. I noticed that Sharlene isn't in the opening, just John--so I assumed this was the time period where Sharlene was presumed dead--pre Kate Baker?

I actually watched a couple scenes with them the other day and they weren't bad. I was trying to find some episodes surrounding when Morgan first turned up and Lorna was raped. I remember finding that story entertaining and well acted. Grayson McCouch was so cute back then.

I googled him last night and shallow me agrees with you. One thing I don't remember appreciating back in the day was how sexy Mark Pinter was--at least that's how he came across to me when I was watching last night.

6. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    Every time I go through one of my Another World binging phases, I have to re-watch these scenes. They are some of my favorite soap scenes ever. I love how Rachel goes from quiet confusion and disbelief to full on raging fury. I also love the way Carmen plays Iris' rollercoaster of emotions.

"The truth! The truth will be gained! He'll know the truth before this whole darn town knows it!"

"I'll make you pay for this Rachel! I'll make you pay!" "I'm sure you will! And in the meantime, your father will know the truth!"

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    Medals:
    I'd love to know what Donna Swajeski (the Head Writer at the time) was planning for the period after Mac "returned from Maine". We only got a taste of Mac's fury when he basically disowned her and left town. Obviously no one could have predicted that Doug Watson would die while he was on vacation ("Mac" retreated to Maine onscreen as DW was only supposed to be gone a week or so), and though his absence from the big 25th anniversary episodes was glaring, no one ever discussed what the writers originally had in store for that latest stage of the ongoing Mac/Rachel/Iris saga. I have to believe that Mac would not have been able to totally disown Iris, but whatever the case, it would have given all three actors some Emmy-worthy stuff to play. VW never got the Emmy she deserved, and this hypothetical plot might have rectified that situation.

In my binging phases, I end up going back a bit further--the 1986-87 period when Reginald Love returned (with amnesiac Mary McKinnon in tow), when the Love family was at its dysfunctional finest. This is the episode where Reginald manages to drive Donna insane (the previous three episodes leading up to it are also out there), ushering Anna Stuart off the canvas with one hell of a plot point if you watch closely. Too bad later writers chose not to pick up on it. There was also major MacRac action with Mitch and Matthew, and a whole horde of mid-1980s hold-over characters.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,760
    Medals:
    Does that piano ever stop playing?:lol:

9. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    I'd really love to know what those plans were too. I hate that we lost Watson obviously, but Mac's death turned that story into quite the memorable tragedy. I remember not minding the Red Swan storyline at the time while not quite sure what was going on most of the time. I'm assuming that was what was rewritten after Watson's unexpected death. I have a feeling it wouldn't hold up as well for me these days, but at that time I used to love the storylines that revolved around a particular object--Days and Santa Barbara did it a few times and I remember catching bits of the cursed Egyptian treasure story on AW.

The 25th anniversary episodes are also ones that I like to rewatch frequently. So much going on there between Jamie and Vicki's marriage imploding, learning Nicole killed Jason Frame and learning Evan was Janice and Willis' son. Having it revolve around Brava's anniversary was clever and I love all the returns they managed to line up--in particular Pat, Alice and Steve. Pat is probably my favorite soap heroine that I never got to watch. She went through a ton during her time on the show from the first tv abortion, to just about everything else that could be thrown at her. I wish there was more stuff with her online. I know I would love Beverly Penberthy.

I watched a couple of episodes from that era earlier in the week (with gorgeous and sexy Hank Cheyenne). There seems to be quite a bit online from that time period so I was thinking I would binge some of that when I finish what I can find of 93/94. 85/86-- I think that's roughly when I became a regular viewer after dipping in and out since the early 80's whenever I was off school. Mary returning from the dead, MJ being a reformed hooker, MJ and Adam, Cecile kidnapping Cass away from Kathleen, Scott and Cheryl, MJ's pimp, and of course the Sin Stalker--that's what springs to mind from that time period. I always liked Nancy back then too but they never seemed to be able to find much that worked for her. Mainly I liked Rachel having a sister on the canvass.

Oh nice! I'm diving in right now! I don't think I've watched this since it originally aired. Thanks!

10. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    Now I'm second guessing myself - was Evan the child of someone else? Was he Janice's kid? That seems more like it. Gwen was his aunt--by marriage. And that gave Evan a vendetta against Rachel because she killed his mother. It's coming back to me now.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  11. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    Oh man, I had completed forgotten that plot point with Donna and the babies. Scott was going to be the third triplet with Vicki and Marley. I love how subtly that's slipped in there.

What a brilliantly dark performance by Stuart.

I remember watching Britanny and Peter's train wreck of a marriage and her trial for shooting him. There was some sort of publicity stunt around it--either they had a real jury or you could call in and vote for the verdict or something.

What an awful Vicki. I don't remember her at all.

Hank Cheyne really was gorgeous and was a good actor too.

How long was it between Stuart leaving and Sampler taking over? Did they choose Sampler because she was popular on Days?

Great episode! Thanks for posting it. Now I'm definitely going to do some more 1986 episodes.

I also watched this tonight. I watched it with my mom, who watched AW when it first started and was a big fan of Pat. (That's probably another reason why I am so fascinated by Pat.) It's pretty exciting (to me) that this exists on Youtube. Not only do you get some great moments with Pat and John, but you get Robin Strasser's Rachel (!!!), and you basically get to see the genesis of the Rachel/Steve/Alice triangle. You can literally see Rachel's boredom as Russ' wife and her wheels spinning as she meets Steve--it's all the foundation of one the hugest stories in the show's history. What I'm confused by is the fact that Rachel is pregnant in this clip. I thought that she slept with Steve, got pregnant with Jamie and passed him off as Russ'. I thought Russ spent a while thinking Jamie was his son. Was this a different pregnancy? Because it seems like she is meeting Steve for the first time in this clip.

The clip also features Audra Lindley's Aunt Liz, the show's first star crossed lovers, Bill and Missy; Ada; Walter and Lenore who drove a lot of story in the early days*, and Sam and Lahoma who, with Missy would spin off into Somerset. It's a virtual treasure trove of AW history.

I'm sure you've already seen it @Dalek Avery -- in fact I think it's been posted and discussed before but here it is again:

*I collected the Another World Soaps and Serials books back in the 80's/90's. I used to scour used books stores for them. I remember one of the books was about Lenore standing trial for a murder that Walter had committed and he was defending her as her lawyer (and hiding the fact that he was the actual killer). When the truth came out Lenore trashed their dream home and a distraught Walter ended up dying in a car accident. I wish I still had those books. I'd love to read them again.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    I just found these on a used bookstore site. They were a decent price for the set so I decided to get them. I'm pretty sure I've read all of them in the set. Apparently there were a total of 14. The set I ordered doesn't include the last three.

[​IMG]

13. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    Medals:
    He was Janice's child, though I'm not sure who his father was. His birth name was Earl Battis. Janice never mentioned the child when she was in town (translation: he's a ret-con). When Janice died in the pool in St. Croix, Willis and Gwen took "Earl" in, off-screen. They raised him to believe that Rachel had actually murdered his mother, thus the vendetta.

I think they intentionally did not write very 'deep' material for Rhonda Lewin. She lasted less than a year. Still, the main reason they decided not pursue the triplet story was Philece Sampler, not Rhonda Lewin. No amount of old-lady hairdos and huge fur coats would make her look old enough to be the mother of Hank Cheyne. The poor guy had to shave really, really close just to not look like a cradle robber in his scenes with "Cheryl". By the time Philece Sampler came along, they'd also struck gold by hiring Anne Heche, so they were once again able to have 'the girls' back together...which was a nice consolation prize, but I really would have loved to see the triplet angle played out. Without it, they had trouble finding a purpose for Scott to remain in town. By that time, however, it seemed the show had lost interest in the "Love family" as a unit, and instead morphed them into the Hudson family (since Peter and Reginald were gone, and the Love mansion had burned down).

I've actually not seen that older episode...I will definitely watch it!

From Harding Lemay's book, Eight Years in Another World, he apparently came on board around the time that the Walter Curtin/Lenore trial story was playing out onscreen. He wrote that Walter would occasionally open a safe, pull out a scarf and cry into it hysterically when the then-writers wanted to depict his guilt/remorse...and Lemay found it to be the most unintentionally funny thing he'd ever seen. He almost didn't take the job simply because he thought this was the kind of stuff they'd expect him to write. Lucky for the audience he came in and immediately put a stop to melodramatic stuff like that. If the actors didn't like his new and improved storytelling, then he didn't mind killing them off! He even toyed with the idea of killing off Rachel when her recast wasn't working out.:eek::eek: Luckily they hired this unknown actress away from Guiding Light named Victoria Wyndham and recast again....;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    Ah yes, that all rings a bell now.

I watched some of the anniversary party last night. I love Frankie wandering around looking at everyone's ears. It also reminded me that the only time I ever found Stacey Winthrop very interesting was when she was paired with Derek.

I can't remember ever watching her before as Vicki, but I guess I must have because I was watching at this time and before. Her acting was awful. I had vague memories of the version of Nicole seen in that video. I don't have much of an impression of her. I liked Anne Howard's take on the character at the time but I get annoyed every time I watch clips of her now because she dared to try and replace Patsy Pease as one of my favorite soap heroines, Kimberly, on Days.

Cool! Enjoy! I felt almost giddy at the chance to see Strasser's take on Rachel.

Out of curiosity, I wouldn't mind seeing a clip of Margie Impert's version of Rachel. I just googled to see what else she had done and was surprised to find she was in the excellent Knots Landing episode, The Lie.

16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    Medals:
    When Ellen Wheeler decided to leave AW, the show had Vicky leave town a few weeks before Marley's wedding to Jake, in order to stagger the "good-bye" scenes a bit (and to help in filming the wedding, since having EW play the bride AND a member of the wedding party is a tricky proposition). During the lead-up to the wedding, we saw Reginald talking with a mystery woman, encouraging her to crash the wedding he did not want to happen. In EW's final scene, she tossed the bouquet. In the next episode, we saw who caught it: Rhonda Lewin's Vicky. EW and RL were never on screen together, and thankfully there was no reason to have Lewin attempt to play Marley, since M&J immediately moved to California. I recall feeling cheated that we didn't get to have one of those uncomfortable, meta "You are no longer identical" scenes. We had to wait until 1998 for one of those.

So TWO versions of Rachel Davis Cory, et.al were on Knots? Cool!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    Now I'm imagining if the third Rachel had made it onto Knots. Can you imagine Victoria Wyndham vs. Michele Lee? :eck:

18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    Medals:
    Justine Duvalier kidnaps Karen a la Phil Harbert, intending to have Mack MacKenzie for herself. No piece of scenery would emerge un-nibbled.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Medals:
    My Another World books came today!

I'm about a third of the way through the first book, Let's Love Again, which is mainly about Aunt Liz's son Bill and his girlfriend Missy, whom Liz disapproves of and is on trial for murdering her husband. She's also just given birth to her murdered husband's child.

Liz initially breaks up Bill and Missy's relationship by revealing that she's learned Missy is illegitimate and Missy is too ashamed to continue her relationship with Bill. That feels like such a wonderfully "60's" plot twist.

I love the covers. They're such vintage romance novel covers--like something Felicia Gallant might have written.

20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    Medals:
    The 1860's. :D The early years of AW were still very much like Irna Phillips's other soaps with such issues. It really wasn't until Irna stopped supervising AW so closely and let Agnes Nixon do her things her own way that AW took off. I've seen the word "vile" used repeatedly to describe Audra Linley's version of Aunt Liz, and I guess it has more impact when the villain of the piece is someone in your own family, since you can't really get away from them.

Speaking of our Felicia....
    I went home to Georgia to visit my parents last weekend. My mom and I were watching what she wanted to watch on TV for a bit, at least until I announced we needed to watch something, anything other than endless reruns of Law and Order and various crime/murder procedurals she prefers. So I found some episodes of Friends On Demand and guess who popped up in the first episode we watched? Rachel was 'monkey-sitting' for Ross and they ended up watching a soap. We saw a clip from AW with Felicia in her feather boa, madly typing away on her typewriter. Rachel started explaining the show (with changed names/facts) to Marcel the monkey, and quipped "She used to be man!" I just about died.

• Funny Funny x 1