1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instead Of Pam Having The Accident And Leaving

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Dec 18, 2019.

?

Who Would Pam Have Been Better Off With - Bobby Or Mark?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2019.
  1. Bobby

50.0%
  2. Mark

50.0%
  1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Did you like the story of Pam having the car accident, getting badly burned, running away so nobody could see her scars, and then divorcing Bobby without ever appearing again? I always that was a very convoluted story.

Do you think that with VP leaving, it would have made more sense to keep Pam with Mark? They could have had him in remission and then when he starts to get sick again, they could have him go to a far away clinic to seek help for his illness. This time he allows Pam to go with him, not wanting to abandon her again. That would have made more sense because they would have Pam leave with Mark, and if VP came back, that leaves it open for Pam to return.

Mark being in remission was something they did in the dream season, but they didn't really wipe out every single thing from the dream season. They just repeated whatever they wanted to keep. JR and Mandy broke up again, so they "kept" that. Jamie died again, so they "kept" that. The big loser was John Beck, since they did not keep his resurrection and because of that, he didn't keep his job!

I think Mark and Pam made a good couple. I would have liked seeing them stay together, but I also liked seeing Bobby and Pam get back together. Either way would have been fine with me.

While I enjoyed seeing Pam with either Mark or Bobby, I think this would have been a more reasonable way to do things. I think it's a clever way to have Pam exit while leaving the door open for VP to return if she wanted to come back. They say they didn't have Pam die in the crash because that way VP could come back, but what would they really have done to explain the disappearance of all those scars? Maybe she'd come back with scars. They were the whole reason she left, so that's important that they acknowledge she really was badly scarred.

Still, even though VP could technically have come back, her romance with Bobby would have been dead. He'd be such a fool to remarry a woman who ran away from him 3 times and divorced him twice, that I don't see how they could have Bobby remarry Pam and not make him look like a fool. But if the reason Pam left was that she went with Mark to help him when he was possibly dying, then she never would have left Bobby and divorced Bobby that last time. So then, Pam and Bobby could have remarried if VP had come back.

• Like Like x 3
  2. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +875
    If Pam had to leave to support Mark, she also had to leave with Christopher. Something I'm not sure Bobby would agree. Especially in a long term departure. Imagine : Pam leaves to support a dying Mark. And then what? Does she stay with a dying Mark for... years? Imagine Mark has a new remission, does Pam stay away from Dallas, far from her son? Or does she take Christopher with her, and when when Mark is doing better, she doesn't come back to Dallas and take away Christopher from Bobby? This wouldn't be in character for Pam to be so cruel. And if Mark doesn't get better and dies, why would Pam stay away? Anyway, I don't see her leaving Bobby for a dying Mark, after all Bobby and her went through.

They should simply have Pam had a soap coma, after her soap car accident. No explosion. Pam being under bandages, but not burnt : just some heavy facial bones damages that surgery can fix with time and many interventions, and most importantly : having Pam in a coma. Doctors saying that she has 99% chances to never return, and yet Bobby insisting that he refuses to unplug her. This could bring back some history and debate on the table about life support and death (Lucy and Mickey)... We can have Bobby struggle as he needs to make peace with the idea that Pam is never coming back from her coma, to move on, dating other women, and yet, Bobby still refusing to unplug Pam. Writers can even keep comatose Pam pregnant (yes, it has happened in real life. There was a woman in a coma for a decade who gave birth after she was raped in a hospital). This would justify keeping Pam under life support. And this would be tragic : Pam having her own child, but yet, unable to see his birth and then growing... Some points that Bobby would bring up in tearful exchange with JR or other characters. And poor Bobby, having to take car of their child, who is both a gift and a reminder of what he has lost...

The character would still be "present" in their lives in the later seasons. We can have Cliff or Bobby visiting comatose Pam under bandages, once or two episodes/season... Or without bandages, with a lookalike, with heavy breathing support on her face, with specific camera angles, to not show her face. This way, the door would stay open for Victoria to return. If not, they could keep her in that coma state for years, or recast.

Anyway, they should have recasted, and keep Margarett Mitchell as "plastic surgery Pam" alive. Pam was essential to the show. Unfortunately the Donna Reed fiasco left the producers with cold feet about recasting. Now, all of this is past, and as Bobby needed to move on, I need to move on too. Pam & Bobby were my favorite in Dallas, but I have made piece that I will never have the story and the happy end I wanted for them. Press used to say they were the Romeo and Juliet of the show, and in some way, Pam's sad and tragic ending proved them right.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I didn't like the car crash and abandonment ending for Pam. I would have preferred that she die after finally giving birth to her and Bobby's baby. Something that would have given both Victoria and fans the closure they wanted for Pam and Bobby.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,551
    Yes, I would have preferred either Pam being back or being written out permanently. But clearly the only way of closure for Pam's character was had they ended the series then.

Swami

5. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    If VP had come back to the show, I wonder how they would have used her. Suppose Pam came back and Bobby was with April then, and even if he hadn't married April, Pam divorced Bobby twice, so who would they put Pam with? Probably not Jack. I think Mark was good for Pam. He could have come back in a way similar to how they did things in season 9- he was in remission.

I still think having Pam go away with Mark would have made a lot more sense than her surviving that crash and then running away. Also, that way, if VP comes back, Pam isn't disfigured from scars. She could have either come back alone (Mark didn't make it), or she and Mark come back because he finally found a cure and she wants to live near Christopher.

6. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +875
    Surviving the car crash and running away was absolutely dumb. But the producers couldn't let the idea go VP retuning go, so they came up with that plot that was never satisfying.
    Of course, in a perfect world, Pam would either be back, or dead. But keep in mind that the producers had very cold feet after the death/return of Bobby plot. And about recasting (Donna Reed)... So they didn't ant to kill or recast the character, and left Pam fans frustrated. Till TNT Dallas made official what we already knew : Pam had a terminal disease with only a few months to live.

I hated that, because I was insanely hoping that Pam would be alive, somewhere in Abu Dabi. But It wouldn't make sense that she'd stay there for years, ignoring Christopher.
    Even if I hated Cynthia Cidre Ramos fanfiction, at least, one of the very few things she did right, was the Pamela resolution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,964
    Whatever way they chose to write her out her death or disappearance should have been central to story lines the following season. I kind of like the idea of a scenario somewhat like what happened to Natalie Wood. Bobby and Pam set sail on a yacht (perhaps they decided to leave Southfork for good, yet again!) but Bobby wakes up in the morning and Pam is nowhere to be found. An investigation into her disappearance gets underway and (having left some little clues in the run up to the season that the two were having problems) suspicions begin to mount that Bobby may have had something to do with her disappearance. Of course we all know Bobby didn't, and would never, do such a thing but there is mounting circumstantial evidence that leads the police to think that he had. Inconsistencies and coincidences that make is seem like Bobby could have played some role in it. This leads to a trial where things look increasingly grim for Bobby.

Only problem is how to wrap up such a story line in a way that's satisfying. I haven't really got as far as how to finish it! Of course the ideal scenario would be Pam showing up at the courthouse on the day of sentencing, but if VP wasn't coming back that couldn't happen. But it would leave the door open for her to come back if she wanted to, and at least her exit would have had some ramifications and drama that would last well into the next season. It's not perfect but something along those lines would be better than what we got.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,551
    Pam was still always better off with Bobby rather than Moustache Mark.

Swami

9. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I’d have given VP a new show with PD to go off and create a second spin off. If she still insisted on leaving, I’d have had her just vanish, no explanation. No clue as to where she went, just gone.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I doubt she would have take a role in a spin-off because from what I remember at the time, she wanted to be in movies. I know that today there are a lot of movie stars, such as Kevin Costner, who are in TV shows, but back then, being in movies was considered more prestigious than being in a TV show.

If Pam vanished, I would think that Bobby would spend time trying to find her. If the audience knows the actress who plays Pam is making movies, then they know Bobby isn't going to find Pam. I've said how I think they could have had Pam leave that the audience would likely consider reasonable ( she doesn't want Mark to be fighting for his life and be all alone). The alternative is they could have just made a firm decision that if VP leaves, then Pam will be in a fatal car crash and that's it. They said they couldn't trust themselves to not want to bring her back if VP changed her mind, but I don't think a show should compromise its stories to accommodate the whims of an actor, so just in case they want to return, they can.

At some point I think they have to decide: If you leave, this is the story we want to tell, and we're not going to wipe out a whole season or do something else that hurts the credibility or quality of the show just to accommodate you if you happen to change your mind later. We can't put the interests of one actor ahead of the best interests of everyone else involved in the show.

That's why I don't believe in giving actors creative control over their characters. From everything I've read about giving Larry Hagman creative control over not just his character, but also making the show funnier, it was a big mistake. Larry Hagman was a tremendously talented actor and he could make minor revisions to his lines with add-libs very well, but acting was his area of expertise - not writing TV shows. I say let the actors do what they do best and let the writers and producers do what they do best. Especially when an actor is in a central role because then it's very likely that they're not going to be able to be objective enough to decide what is best for the show; they're going to do what they think is best for their character or do what they would enjoy doing most, instead of doing what is the best thing for the show overall.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  11. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    But Pam is alive.

She's my step Mother & lives with her husband Mark Graison & my half brother Christopher in Northern Ireland.

I asked her last night why she left the hospital & went away. She was never in Abu Dhabi & that wasn't her that Cliff met at the beginning of season eleven but a similar looking woman who Pam & Mark paid to throw the scent of her disappearance off the Ewings & the Barnes.

The real reason she left was that Mark Graison showed up at the hospital. He along with the Wentworth Industries helped to get her away but she also had help from an unexpected source. A source that can only be revealed now since he has now passed away. JR Ewing also help Mark to get Pam away. It was something he wasn't proud of doing if his brother had ever found out, the knowledge of it would probably have destroyed Bobby. :(

Pam's only regret was in leaving the love of her life however she couldn't face living with him any more after dreaming that Katherine had killed him for a year. That was a nightmare for her. She had to move on & leave Dallas. ;) :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    you better watch out - if Bobby reads this forum he might track you down and take you apart!

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Let him try it.

I have no love for him as he abandoned me as a child & had my Mother Jenna Wade & that asshole Ray Krebbs raise me.

My names Luke. Lucas Krebbs Ewing, I'm Bobby's real son. :(

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. MenaceTheDennis

MenaceTheDennis Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +63
    They wanted to get a good cliffhanger out of the crash and Katzman had initial plans to recast the role, thus the plastic surgery. But obviously they chickened out after Donna Reed. I’ve always said the most logical thing would’ve been to have Pam and Bobby divorce after Jennas pregnancy and the fallout from the BD Calhoun story and then Pam leaves Dallas. Keep it simple and clean.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,381
    That is a great idea. If they had taken VP at her word that she was not coming back and decided against the recast option, then this would definitely have been the way to go.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    If the writers/producers had stuck with Pam dying in the fireball I could have lived with that. But they chose to keep the character alive. Makes me wonder if some type of contract negotiations were still happening between seasons. But Victoria has been adamant she considered her fireball moment as the punctuation mark on her time with Dallas.

So we end up with the character still alive but mummified. Was there going to be a big reveal? Who knows. Katherine makes a surprising, brief, baffling return only to vanish and Pam along with her. Was Katherine responsible? I would have been happy if Pam just left and despite Bobby and Cliff's desperate attempts to locate her each lead arrives at a brick wall.

As each season passes her name is mentioned less frequently. Pam's fate is left in limbo...for each of us to ponder, "What happened to Pam?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    So Christopher’s death was also staged so he could be with his mom?

18. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    So Pam and and Mark took you from Jenna and Ray to raise? I thought your middle name was Wade btw.

19. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Isn’t this what essentially happened?

20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    For the most part yes. What I would have preferred was Pam dying when she crashed into the truck. The brutality of that final scene played well into our how we viewed Bobby and Pam, our Romero and Juliet. There was no happy-ever-after and besides this was Dallas, a series known for its high stakes drama and what better way to kick-start the following season.

When I look back at Dallas 3 things stand out how the writers and producers can stuff up a series of their own making; the recast of Miss Ellie. The Dream Season resolution and Pam.

But what those producers did with the character of Pam and to a lesser extent Katherine, frustrated the hell out of me. It wasn't until the creative genius of Cynthia Cidre did we finally receive closure on both those characters.

• Agree Agree x 1