International Women's Day - who inspires you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sarah, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,711
    Medals:
    Today, March 8, marks International Women's Day. So out of all the women you know, personally or by their celebrity status, who inspires you?

My mum is a huge inspiration to me and one of the strongest women I know having been through tremendous loss, and never once letting it beat her. This along with my best girlfriends for their work ethic, commitment to raising their children and their overall attitude to life.

From a celebrity point of view, the females who inspire me are those who aren't afraid to push themselves in what has been and in some ways can still be a male orientated work environment, those who speak out for the benefit of others and those who aren't afraid to be themselves. I have a huge amount of respect also for anyone, celeb or otherwise who fight for the rights of animals and for those who are far less fortunate than themselves.

Women like Helen Mirren, Angelina Jolie, Princess Diana, Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama, Meryl Streep, JK Rowling, Jennifer Aniston, amongst others. I am still trying to make my mind up on Meghan Markle, but she could make my list in a while.

Of course there is a special, rather big, place in my heart reserved for Linda Gray. From childhood, this woman has inspired not only my attitude to life (when at times it has been REALLY hard to be positive), but my desire to chase my dreams, my will to not give up in the worst circumstances and my attitude towards other people. I do find myself in times of trouble asking 'What would Linda do?' or slapping myself if I even dare to question myself because of my age or what I may feel is a lack of progress or failure. Women like her leave a mark on the world and I am so grateful for her.

Which women have inspired you?

[​IMG] *fake fur* :)

2. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Hedy Lamarr (Click here to find out why.)

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,651
    Medals:
    To name a few:
    Susan Flannery, actress
    Julia Louis Dreyfus, actress
    Amy Schumer, comedian
    The female royals of Sweden
    Lykke Li, singer/songwriter
    Laleh, singer/songwriter
    Malala Yousafzai, human rights activist
    Lana Del Rey, singer/songwriter
    Lisa Ekdahl, singer/songwriter
    Titiyo, singer
    Alicia Vikander, actress
    Suzanne Reuter, actress
    Greta Garbo, actress
    Roxy Shahidi, actress
    Audrey Tautou, actress
    Lena Heady, actress
    Jacqueline McInnes Wood, actress
    Jennie Abrahamson, singer/songwriter
    Emma Frans, science journalist
    Magda Gad, journalist
    Marie Curie, scientist
    Rosa Parks, seamstress
    Cleopatra, queen
    Annie Leibovitz, photographer
    etc

4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +796
    Medals:
    From a political point of view, I'm inspired by women like Jill Stein, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, Ilhan Omar, and Tulsi Gabbard. All of them have have the courage to go up against the corrupt political establishment and tell the truth about war and money in politics. The fact that Ocasio Cortez, Omar, and Gabbard are doing so from inside Congress is all the more impressive. As a result, they are smeared by the leadership of their own party. But as their names are dragged through the mud, they stand strong and keep fighting for a better world.

On a personal level, I'm inspired by my mom. We lived through some lean years, but she worked hard to keep a roof over our heads and food in our mouth.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,782
    Medals:
    First and foremost, my mother has been the woman who has inspired me the most. She was a Windrush immigrant from Jamaica who faced shocking racism when she arrived the the UK with my dad. She widowed at a young age and had to bring up her children single handedly because her extended family were back in Jamaica. Thanks to her, we are all now are successful in our own professional careers, inspired by her willingness to work hard, to be selfless and to trust in God. She is the reason why I'm a feminist.

My first idol outside of my family was the tennis player Billie Jean King. When I was six I watched her win Wimbledon and I loved her fearless style of play. I continued to follow her career and realised she was more than just a tennis player but also a woman's rights activist which even at a young age was something I strongly supported. When I was about 10, she was outed as a lesbian. I listened to the news report on the radio in which she acknowledged she had a relationship with a woman and thought it doesn't change who she is, her tennis is still the same and her views on human rights are still valid. That moment shaped my views on homosexuality at the age of 10, in what was quite a homophobic time, I became a supporter of gay rights.

My third inspiration is Nanny, also known as Queen Nanny. She was forcibly taken from Ghana the 1700s by UK slave owners to work as a slave in Jamaica. She escaped, lead a rebellion against the slave owners and ultimately lead to the freedom of 1000s of slaves. One woman took on the might and weapons of the British occupiers and won. She died as she was born, a free woman.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3