Irn Bru panic buying grips Scotland

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sarah, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Sarah
    Sad

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    Saw this and thought of you @Barbara Fan :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42565363

Fans of Irn Bru have started stockpiling the soft drink ahead of a planned change in recipe.

Makers of the fizzy favourite are changing the formula of the product to cut the sugar content by almost half.

It is part of a sugar-reduction programme by AG Barr before the government levy on sugary drinks comes into effect in 2018.

But fans have launched the "Hands off our Irn Bru" petition, attracting more than 6,000 signatures.

Irn Bru drinkers are angry after the manufacturer revealed the new flavour would appear in stores in January.

They have been taking to social media to vent their dismay, with stories of people buying up to 250 cans mentioned but not substantiated.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Barbara Fan
    Sweettooth

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,715
    Original Member Since:
    :hello: I hate any drink that is sugar free - but i dont drink half the Irn bru i used to and will avoid once they do change it - hate the saccharine taste of sugar free drinks

Now my love is Innocent Strawberry smoothies (when they are on offer) or Appletiser!

Its like Cadburys, not as good now since they were taken over by Kraft and definite change in taste (and size!!)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sarah
    Sad

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    I used to be like that with Diet Coke - hated it with a passion. Always drank full fat Coke. Then one day I just couldn't stomach it anymore and now I LOVE Diet Coke!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,265
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Are they going to add artificial sweeteners or simply reduce the sugar?

Reduced sugar content without synthetics can taste nice and natural, but I wouldn't put artificial sweeteners of any kind into my body.

Not that I drink Irn Bru anyway, but I'm curious if this is the way things are going. I thought the pendulum had swung back towards natural sweeteners in moderation rather than artificial sweeteners in abundance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)