Grey's Anatomy Is the cast too big?

Discussion in 'ShondaLand' started by Ome, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,672
    I know we're just four episodes into the new season, but I'm finding the very large cast a distraction.

I feel like there's something missing from the show and it's not for lack of characters. Suddenly everyone seems to have been paired off with another character.

Alex & Jo
    Miranda & Ben
    Richard & Catherine
    Jackson & April
    Owen & Amelia
    Meredith & Nathan (Maggie)

Leaving just Arizona, Andrew & Stephanie single.

Just lately, it seems the focus is on relationships and not so much about friendships and working colleagues.

With 15 main characters and therefore not much space for recurring of special guest characters.

According to Wiki, there's now only one recurring character in Catherine. Isaac Cross has been taken off that list

Does the show need another shooter ?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ms. Paige

Ms. Paige Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    I can't pinpoint it but the show sure does seem to have taken a different direction so far. It seems that Shonda is trying to inject more humor into the show?

The cast has always been quite big as you know Ome but your right...like I said I just can't pinpoint what it is exactly. Maybe it is all the pairings and I do agree I loved the guest stars and the medical drama as part of the show too. Seems they are getting away from that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    It doesn't bother me. I didn't watch a couple of seasons, and when I tuned back in last season to see what was going on, there were a number of newbies (Jo, Maggie, Stephanie, Amelia, Nathan & Andrew), but I quickly got a hang of it. A big cast doesn't bother me, as I am so used to daytime soaps and Game of Thrones etc. 15 characters is a piece of cake.

What I like about big casts is that if you dislike a couple of characters, then you don't have them forced upon you heavily. On daytime soaps, I hate it when certain characters are on 4-5 days a week. I can only tolerate my favorites being that heavily featured.

So that's why I prefer a big cast --- on some shows. With sit-coms, I often prefer smaller casts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    This is probably gonna sound racist, but I'll throw it out there anyway: I often confuse Maggie & Stephanie. They look so much alike! Must they have the exact same hair style? They're like Marge's sisters on The Simpsons. You have to spot the one thing that is different, in the Bouvier sister's case, it's the combing of the hair.

With Maggie and Stephanie, one has poutier lips, lighter skin tone and a fuller chin area. It's not always so easy to look for when only one of them is in a scene. That means I have to wait for a signal to know which one it is. Like the conversation.

[​IMG]

5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,672

I have had the same problem with these two and I did confuse Amelia & Jo a couple of times too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,566
    I have to admit I've found the same. :bag: