1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas News Is there 'an announcement' imminent..?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Feb 26, 2020.

1. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    I'm getting the feeling that some kind of announcement about Dallas is imminent.

First Ultimate Dallas tweeted that Warner Bros had posted a Dallas tweet after 4 years of silence, then Dallas Fanzine (on FB) posted the Dallas logo with a blurred image of Southfork behind but with no caption, comment or question.

New series...?

Reboot...?

Complete original/new Dallas DVD boxset...?

Blu Ray...?

Or am I just seeing things...?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Thanks x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +200
    New series or reboot, I'm hoping! I have so many ideas for both that I have posted in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    Well - it has been put out there (I heard via Josh, our American contact and social media guy) but I wasn't sure if we were revealing it yet. A picture of Josh Henderson and Jesse Metcalfe was posted, with the words The Ewings are Fighting Back (and the word is they might be) but I'm sure Colin will confirm in due course.

So you opened the conversation :D But let's not get too excited until we have a confirmation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. pete lashmar

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    WOW....I'm not sue whether I want a continuation or a complete reboot though. I feel torn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Why not both?

6. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    Like I say nothing at all is confirmed at this point.

I don't know either how I feel if it is true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +311
    A closure movie or miniserie would be perfect!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. B.J. Ewing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Whatever it is, I feel excited!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. B.J. Ewing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +311
    It's about a deleted scene of the Ewing boys playing ball... :-(

10. pete lashmar

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    Screenshot_2020-02-26 Ultimate Dallas ( UltimateDallas) Twitter.png Screenshot_2020-02-26 Dallas Fanzine - Home.png This all feels very surreal now :eek: I really didn't expect any more (TNT cast) Dallas...but am very happy to see what they do with anything new.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I don't know what the difference is - how is a reboot different from a continuation? Wasn't TNT Dallas called both?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    I think a complete (focus on complete) reboot would be almost starting again, which I wouldn't want as I for one did enjoy certain aspects of TNT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. pete lashmar

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    A complete reboot would be a whole new cast and start from scratch, something that I feel could work with Dallas. However, they need to cast actors and not models. The success of the original was the strong cast in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    I wouldn't be interested if Linda and Patrick weren't involved. And to recast Sue Ellen and Bobby?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

No.

(*massively putting the cart before the horse here!)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  15. pete lashmar

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    Sarah you know how much I adore the original show and it's cast - they were incredible and will always be the very heart of Dallas.

But...(and it's a big but) a complete reboot is the only logical way forward. But it has to have people who love the original to run/write it and it needs to cast actors who have a bit of grit to them and not cast for their modelling good looks.

I just can't see a continuation being an ongoing thing anymore.With Larry, Barbara, Ken, Jim gone and no hope ever of Victoria taking part, I just don't see the point.

I'd be very happy to see a mini series as @B.J. Ewing suggested to tie things up though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    I'm against casting non-actors - the whole glossy thing 'cos you look good' is a big no no from me too.

But I will not be excited about it in any way, if, it's (AND IT'S STILL AN IF!!) without Linda and Patrick and please no one even DARE to mention their ages because Miss Gray will not have any of it!!! ;) The woman still climbs mountains, literally! :)

Anything that would be Dallas as we know it would have to feature Sue Ellen and Bobby. It makes no sense whatsoever to me to have it without them. I doubt anyone would be interested unless they are a teenager growing up now with no knowledge of what Dallas really is.

How it was left was wrong - even the actors have said that so yes a little neat tying up would be great. OF COURSE I care about what happened to them if we are taking TNT as 'real world'. Especially Sue Ellen.

But having it without Gray and Duffy, no thanks. Count me out especially for anything long running- and I've been a fan for over 40 years and make no apology for how I feel about that. And any recasting would involve a protest - likely a dirty one.

But we are jumping wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead here so I'm not sure why I'm getting so invested!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I agree, if they start over from the beginning, the original actors would be too old for their roles, and there are only 2 originals left anyway which isn't nearly enough. I'd like to see a start over with a great new cast. Broadway has being doing this for hundreds of years- they didn't stop running Hamlet when the original guy who played Hamlet died and Broadway has amazing success because they cast quality new people in the roles. With Dallas being a classic now, that's the only way they can continue to tell the story. Besides in the case of Henderson and Metcalfe, new actors playing John Ross and Christopher would be a plus! I'sure there are plenty of tremendous young actors in Hollywood we haven't even heard of yet. It's impossible for me to believe that Henderson and Metcalfe played their roles better than anyone else could have.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pete lashmar

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    My problem is that although it was nice to see the characters in the TNT update, only Sue Ellen came across as the same character. Plus we had a Cliff Barnes that no one recognised and the women were nasty. I'm all for a femme fatal but all the new female characters were just totally unlikeable.

Dallas worked because all the characters were all portrayed as good people that nasty things happened to. Then with the nasty J.R thrown it it led to all added conflict.

TNT didn't see that, it wanted Dallas to be a show about beautiful looking people who were completely unlikable and nasty to each other and missed the point completely.

As much as I love Linda and Patrick I really can't see how they can be part of the show again without all those other unlikable elements coming back too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    Never ever ever say that Linda Gray is too old!!! She'd kill you!!!! She is beautiful and still a working actress - acting holds no age limits so she and Patrick are not too old - they are actually at the perfect age for real time.

But if you're referring to doing Dallas ALL OVER FROM THE BEGINNING, why would you want that?? I don't get it I'm sorry - Dallas was close to perfection up to a point for it's time. I am at a loss to understand why Hollywood keep having to do the same thing over and over.

I'm not interested in a new cast at all. And it actually literally melts my brain that any fan would be able to stomach anyone new in the roles of Sue Ellen and Bobby. No offence intended at all - I just don't get it!

I have to agree that I didn't really enjoy Josh and Jesse and much preferred Omri and Joshua.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,163
    All i can say is i hope not! TNT ruined the Dallas brand and i dont care for further dumbing down of the show. Also Im not a schoolgirl anymore and my viewing habits have changed in 40 years.

It was a (late 70s) mainly 80s show that worked in the 1980s - and had perfect casting and storylines from 1978 to 83, 85- 87 then it went a little downhill - It was the cast that made Dallas a success, the perfect ensemble casting, it wasnt down to 1 person it was all the Ewings, The Kreb's, the Barnes family. They got it so right back then.

Also dont let anyone called Cidre be in charge of ruining it even further and changing original Dallas history. TNT casting left me cold and even Pat D - the love of my life since i was 11 annoyed me intesnsely, dreams shattered!

Dallas is now RIP and there will be no more episodes, lets just stick to original Dallas and DVDs

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1