1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas News Is there 'an announcement' imminent..?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Feb 26, 2020.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,716
    Since there's a current threat of a writers strike, maybe they're seeing the opportunity to recycle Cidre's old scripts for season 4?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Oh my God, this is sooo exciting! I think everything is possible today thanks to Netflix and Co. I'd have 0 interest in a new reboot, I want to see a continuation of Dallas TNT! For some reason I can really see this happening...everything is different today in the world of TV.
    All they need is good writers....TNT Dallas was a mess but they could easily re-model the show. Get rid of stupid storylines, go with the good ones...for example....I'd go a different route with John Ross' sister....I would make her a daughter of Sue Ellen, not of JR. Sue Ellen got pregnant as a teenage girl... ;) I have tons of ideas how to continue Cynthia's mess in a good way.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    Let's think about this for a moment. Would The Turner Broadcasting Company have posted the image of Josh (John Ross) Henderson and Jesse (Christopher) Metcalfe if they didn't have thoughts of producing a Dallas continuation? If Warner Bros had thoughts of doing a reboot they would not have used that image. Just saying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    Netflix has been cancelling quite a number of those teen shows...and good riddance I'd say. There are notable exceptions; Stranger Things and The Politician. These are the exception because it's a strong blend of children/teen/adults.

5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    What can you say about Turner? One Dallas was a huge success and the other a failure. Turner posts the image of the one that failed. Good one!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  6. ThatOtherMJ

ThatOtherMJ Soap Chat Member EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    LTL Pricing Analyst
    Ratings:
    +14
    I need to clarify that these are RUMORS.

All anyone is hearing at this point---publicists included---are RUMORS. It's all speculation.

So....please don't go sliding into anyone's DMs on social media looking for an answer yet. We will know when and if anything happens.
    Now, I like the idea of the "middle years"....but I think it should be canon. Sue Ellen was a virgin when she married JR--they reference it enough on the original series.

If we wanted to forget about half of the stuff on the Cidre series...well, maybe Christopher survived the blast and he's in the hospital with a huge knot on his head. He imagined half of it. :think: Poor thing is confused.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +600
    My guess is that they’re going to announce that the original and revival series are going to be streamed on the new HBO Max service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Yes because it's probably a 18 year old intern. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    On the 23 February I created a new thread asking if Dallas will stream on HBO MAX. It appears a few people have viewed it but no one has responded :( I asked the question because one of my other favourite series The West Wing has already been penciled in for the streaming service. Do I receive a chocolate if my theory is proven to be correct? Perhaps the admin staff here on soapchat could introduce a trophy "like" icon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  10. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    That sounds rather icky and unwelcoming :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Seriously? Just because she said she was a virgin means she was telling the truth?

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Everything they wrote about Sue Ellen pre-JR was that she was a virgin when she married JR. They even had a scene with Clint and Sue Ellen discussing how they went to a motel and didn't have enough money to get a room, so their reunion 10 years later was the first time they'd been to bed together, that wasn't for JR's ears to hear and the benefit of carrying on a lie. To say Sue Ellen wasn't a virgin when she married JR would be to invent details that contradict the details given in the show. Remember when Cliff adopted an orphan boy in Islamabad in the original series? No? Yeah, because it didn't happen and it was an invented detail.

• Like Like x 4
  13. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    This is one of the reasons that I wouldn't like "The middle years". It would possibly work as a limited mini series but it couldn't work as a major series because it will alienate fans because it's 100% sure to step on and walk over what we already know about these characters. Unless the writers, producers and directors are die hard Dallas fans they are bound to change known history or ignore it.

And let's be honest here, if they did work within the boundaries that we know of these characters it really doesn't leave them much room to write new stories and plots for them.

There will be no "revelations", because we know they don't happen for another 30 odd years etc. It will limit what writers can do.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,862
    "Smallville" was a 10-year-running prequel which was even better than the original Superman story, because they grounded all the characters with lots of humanity (and wonderfully perfect bodies, I must say too). It wasn´t only one the biggest hits of its channel but also groundbreaking for paving the way for all the TV shows being aired today. It was full of winks at the audience and attracted actors of the Superman movies to do other roles. Even when it was bad (and its later years were bad enough), it was entertaining and fun. Why does this have to be so hard to achieve?

15. pete lashmar

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    Smallville was enjoyable and set a standard for the super hero TV shows which followed such as Arrow, The Flash etc.

But all these series played around with characters that are known to fans of the comics - characters would be twisted either from or into ones in order to fit with the show's directions.

You can't do that with Dallas - or if you do you can't expect fans to stick with it.

I suppose the first question any new writer/producer has must be...who are they making this version of Dallas for...?

16. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    As long as they've got imagination and a good understanding of Dallas it's very achievable.

For anyone who enjoys good stories. It helps if you already have a interest in the characters and want to see them in a different time period than we ever did, but the stories will appeal to anyone if they're good. It appeals to me more than a continuation because the first continuation was so bad and because by now, most of my favorite Dallas characters are dead.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    This added nonsense to TNT Dallas was one of the reasons for the failure of the continuation. If The Cidre House of Creative Writing wished to create a new character then they had plenty of room to work with after 1998, Dallas: War of the Ewings. Instead they chose to retcon Frank Ashkani into Lorimar Dallas. Over at Wikipedia (yes i know it's unreliable) someone has posted Frank, born Rahid Durani, was taken off the streets of Islamabad 30 years ago. Given Frank appeared in Season 1 of TNT Dallas (2012), Cliff would have had Frank hanging around the apartment in 1982.

It's these minor details which infuriate me no end.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    The writers were writing a show of their own and calling it Dallas. I'll never believe it was anything but that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. pete lashmar

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    I don't understand this logic though, if you are going to go back to the "middle years" you'll have to re-cast every single character. So why not just start over with a whole new reboot?

You can still set in when J.R & Bobby were young adults etc, it doesn't have to start at the same point that Dallas did.

That said, it could still be set present day and reflect how men and women now interact differently to what they did when the original show was on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    What concerns me most about this chatter regarding an impending announcement regarding Dallas is if Warner Bros announce a new continuation with Cynthia as showrunner :yikey:

• Agree Agree x 2