1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas News Is there 'an announcement' imminent..?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Feb 26, 2020.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I agree but there are people who liked them. So instead of ignore them like CC did some original cast members. So instead of getting rid of them, I create a new one, lock up Elena, and make reference to Carmen being Teresa’s sister.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    I could name one: CC. I cannot think of anyone on soapchat who had a hankering for the Ramos family.
    CC ignoring original characters was her decision which she can display proudly on her mantle. Ignoring or retconning characters from/into Lorimar Dallas was poorly received.

3. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I agree and I can’t think of one person, but I know I’ve read people in here while liked Drew and even some Elena fans. Still, unlike CC, I don’t believe it’s acceptable to alter what cane before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    It's because she had that mentality that makes what happened on her show something unworthy of the Dallas name. She didn't respect the original so why would someone who wants to do another Dallas show feel obligated to acknowledge her project? It's not authentic. A prequel would make the whole thing a non-issue anyway.

5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    If I'm completely 100% honest I didn't like any of the new TNT cast. None of them were even slightly likeable - Emma was just a nasty character without any likeability whatsoever. Ann was dull as dishwater and really not worthy og being a Ewing. Christopher had the personality of a wet mop, John Ross lacked the spark that his dad had so was just unlikable. Pamala was another, I hated her. The Ramos family...please, who were these non entities that got more airtime than the Ewings???

And then we have issues with the original cast...Bobby and Cliff were just completely different people. Only Sue Ellen felt like the same one we'd known for all those years. J.R had his moments but Larry really wasn't well, which is very sad, but at least we got to see ol' J.R one more time.

Reboot the show - start afresh, cast well and develop new plots and stories.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    Do have any ideas for who you'd want to see cast? Who would you cast as JR?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,148
    Totally agree with you on all scores and the biggest disappointment was the actor formerly known by me as Beloved Bobby, and his praising of CC, Some of his acting was pretty ropey and i thought the same of Linda G. The only one who stood out in S1 was Larry Hagman and i jumped ship from team Bobby to team JR. He lit up the screen and he really was the STAR of the show.

Id rather they didnt, and have a feeling they wont be either, so thats good for me.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  8. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    I've always considered Jon Hamm.

9. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    Good question, but not one I can easily answer. It would depend on what age we're looking at - for a "middle years" it wouldn't matter a huge amount because we'd see a young man taught by his dad to "take power", so anyone could play him I suppose. But TV execs would need to purge themselves of casting someone who looked or acted in an evil, slimey manner - J.R was loveable and that's what they got wrong his John Ross in TNT Dallas.

If it were a complete reboot from scratch then I'd rather see an unknown in all the roles - like the original, many should be cast from theatre, possibly with a couple of "names" in the background, but the main Ewing clan should be people that we don't really know.

BUT the most important thing is that they are good character actors, not cast because they look and sound great -we want these characters to have depth and realism, not gorgeous looking airheads who couldn't tell you the time of day let alone be multi billionaires in the business world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Honestly, I have no intel, but we will 100% be seeing Dallas again in the next 2-5 years. With Warner Brothers starting it's own streaming service, they will be exploring their library to expand their library. The only reason Dynasty has lasted as long as it has is so it can have a full run to put on that streaming service. Dallas has already been available on Amazon Prime for years and has a passionate fanbase to this day. Plus it's a soap which is one of the most popular genre's on the CW and also they binge well.

My personal HOPE is that it's a continuation, but this time Cynthia Cidre cannot be involved. They need to hire someone who LIKES and knows Dallas and who actually likes and knows how to write a soap. With that we end up with a more dynamic cast and an overall better product that is deserving of the name Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree, but it's not necessary to actively validate everything in Dallas TNT either. A new maid need not be related to either Carmen or Teresa and we don't need to see the family sitting around reminiscing about their former servants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,459
    NO ONE.

I really can't get behind this, or recasting JR - why would you want to? No one else could play that role the way Larry did, and no one should.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    Well if you don't want to watch it, I'm sure nobody will make you watch it, so that's easy. It might not even get made. Are you implying you hope it doesn't get made?

Maybe you're not so then this doesn't apply to you, but there are some people who are actually hoping no other Dallas show gets made, of any kind. Why? I'm not interested in Dynasty so a few years ago when there was talk that another Dynasty show was in the making, I knew I wouldn't be watching. Did I hope it wouldn't get made? No! Good for them! It doesn't affect my life one way or the other if it's on TV so why would I have hoped it never got made, just to deprive other people from their enjoyment in watching it? That would be petty.

A Dallas reboot might not even happen, but if it does happen, I'd be interested to see what actors people would want to see cast in various roles.

@Rove said he'd like to see Jon Hamm cast as J.R. I'm not familiar with that name, so I can't comment one way or the other on how I'd feel about that.

The one actor I'd like to see cast as J.R. Ewing is Paul Johansson. What a good actor!

This is Paul Johansson

Unknown-4.jpeg

He's the actor who did such a brilliant job of playing the character Dan Scott on One Tree Hill for ten years. I'd love to see what Paul Johansson would do with the role of J.R. Ewing! I think he'd do some tremendous things with it.

14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,459
    I would prefer nothing yes to seeing JR or Sue Ellen played by different people. The need to remake or reboot everything nowadays is going over board. It’s not being petty, it’s respecting the original great series for what it was. Remaking it in any form gives such a false perception of what Dallas was especially to a new audience.

Larry Hagman is JR Ewing. As a lifelong fan I wouldn’t want to see anyone else in the role. I have strong feelings because of what the original Dallas means to me - perhaps that is different for you and others. Dallas to me isn’t not just tv. It’s a show that is a huge part of my life, a show which I love deeply and have respect for. So no I’m not happy with it being remade with different actors. But everyone’s depth of feeling is different.

Just my opinion, I’m not depriving anyone of anything, will keep it to myself from now on. Good luck though with the ideas!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,862
    Getting rid of the Ramoses would be the easiest thing nowadays. Just mention them in a throwaway line related to the politics of that POTUS Tramp, I mean, Trump. Bye-bye and good riddance!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,862
    [​IMG]

Next iteration of "Dallas" will be made in 2070,
    and it will be interactive: viewers will decide
    what happens and what not. $iders
    won´t be needed any longer.​

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,822
    I'm in two minds about this Sarah. As good as Lorimar Dallas was in its heyday I've always been highly critical of it's later seasons. The same goes for the reunion movies and the TNT Dallas continuation.

But what if a new version was created using a top notch cast with Warner Bros supporting it with serious money. I'm talking solid scripts with high production values. What I wouldn't accept is a re-telling of stories from Lorimar Dallas. There might be a hint of something familiar about it but a new version would deliberately separate itself from its predecessor. No nudge, nudge, wink, wink to the audience...leave that to new Dynasty.

I see the following actors/actresses portraying the following roles;

Sam Elliot as Jock Ewing.
    Sissy Spacek as Miss Ellie.
    Jon Hamm as J.R.
    Rachel Griffiths as Sue Ellen
    Matt Bomer as Bobby
    Lesley-Ann Brandt as Pamela
    Michael Ealy as Cliff.

These are just a few names I've thought of of. Others can decide if I've made good or bad choices. Obviously chemistry between actors/actresses has to be right. But with a solid cast, solid writing, reflecting the challenges we face today anything is possible. Would this tarnish my memories of Lorimar Dallas? No. Would it alter my fondness for Jim, Barbara-Bel, Larry, Linda, Patrick, Victoria and others? No. Could a reboot be as good as the original? Not in my mind because of the fondness I had for Dallas at that particular time in my life. What I do miss is a good adult weekly drama. Commercial television here in Australia has given up on the format. Their obsession with any reality type show has lost this viewer.

A new vision of Dallas has to set itself apart from the former. I'd like to see a ruthless JR. Cruel, vindictive, vengeful. I don't wish to see a love to hate relationship with JR. I want to see a win at all costs attitude coursing through his veins. But hey...that's me.

In the end a reboot would have to stand on its own merits and be judged accordingly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    "Reflecting the challenges we face today" sounds like an idea for a remake. A reboot is a re-start - it gets back to 1978 and starts over.

19. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,349
    @Sarah, I think I understand the way you think about it. I see it a different way, but I like the enthusiasm you have for the show!

I also have a certain loyalty to the original and to the Dallas name and there are certain things I wouldn't want to see done with the Dallas name. I think if another Dallas show is going to be made it's got to be a top notch show being worthy of shown on any of the major networks with the very best actors they can get. I'd hate to see a show that was the most watched show in the country, maybe the whole world, relegated to a streaming site because it can't cut the mustard on the big networks.

I think it would be a terrible mistake to remake Dallas and set in the 21st century. Everything Dallas was and its characters were, was a product of the late 20th century and that is where those characters belong. To try to take characters who are the product of living in a specific time in specific circumstances, and try to put them in the present as young people, well that would be a train wreck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I also hope they hire some advisors, like fans here who know the show in extreme detail (not me before anyone asks) and a lawyer who understands estate planning and an oil industry executive. Let’s bring back some credibility to the story lines.

• Like Like x 2