1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are experiencing some issues and there may be some downtime to correct this. Apologies for any inconvenience

Dismiss Notice

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Elizabeth Ewins, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have to admit that I liked TNT Dallas camera work better. I liked the high definition better. I wonder if it is possible to redo the original Dallas into high definition. That would be fabulous if it were possible because it is the best of the old and the new. Does anybody know?

2. Via The Void
    Breezy

Via The Void Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    If the show was shot on film, then yes it's easy to bring the picture quality up to High Definition level.

If it's video, then it's not possible I'm afraid. Sorry. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Elizabeth Ewins

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I wonder if the show was shot on film then. Do you know. I wonder if Wilkipedia could tell me if it was shot in film.

4. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Original Member Since:
    All 14 seasons of original Dallas were shot on 35mm film. Seasons 10-13 were edited electronically on to a video master which reduced the cinematic look of the picture. It's possible to remaster the entire seasons on to High Definition but very time consuming for seasons 10-13 as they need to be edited together from the original film elements.

5. Matthew Blaisdel
    Spaced

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    Original Member Since:
    sometime 2005 (i guess)
    IMDB can, just look up any show there and then click on the full technical specs ;)
    Normally those shows were all shot on film, just some comedy shows like The Cosby Show or Married with children were shot directly on video in front of an audience. But not all comedies were, FRIENDS was shot on film too, and they got their HD release already.
    But i don't recall any 1 hour show to be shot on video instead of film.

As CBS did with Star Trek TNG, right?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,482
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I've heard the original film pieces were discarded in that process, with no film master or film negative left behind. They can work with the video copies, though, and may have (the S10 DVD, though flawed, looks 300% better than when it originally aired) they've got so many digital tricks available today.

You probably know this already, but I'll repeat: the networks had a rule that all night time dramas had to be shot on 35mm film, because of its superior look. But by the late-'80s, many shows -- like Lorimar's programs -- got around the traditional lab costs by using the cheapie video post-production technique @garry describes above, with the film pieces dubbed down to low grade video prior to editing, leaving a blurry low-resolution look that might as well have been shot in old style video. And that was the only version left in existence when all was said and done.

Ghastly. According to old soapchat alum @al paige , the old timers in the lab were shocked to see the episodes go out over the airwaves looking like that (as were the viewers) but the exec felt the devolution in visual quality was worth the expense saved.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matthew Blaisdel
    Spaced

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    Original Member Since:
    sometime 2005 (i guess)
    Yeah well, for a time they've said that about Star Trek TNG as well and that it would never be possible to create a better version, at most an upscale.
    And then in 2011 they suddenly came around the corner and said almost all film material still exists and now we have it in 1080p on Bluray, so who knows.
    Maybe all those Dallas film rolls do still rot in some producers basement or properly stored in some CBS salt mine right above MacGuyver. ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Well I never heard anything from Warner Bros. regarding my request for something special next year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Dallas. Shame really. I'd love to get my hands on a Blu-ray Box Set of Dallas. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Karin Schill
    Fine

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,442
    Original Member Since:
    September 2004
    Oh yeah I'd love a new release of Dallas too. Especially if it includes deleted scenes we've never seen before and gag reels and bloopers... ;)

Too bad they ruined season 10-13 of Dallas with the cheap video editing technique. :(
    You really can tell a difference when watching the image quality on the DVD's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Original Member Since:
    We enquired about this to WB last year and were told that all the original 35mm prints, including the Season 10-13 film stock still exist in the archives. It's pretty impossible to upscale seasons 10-13 in their current form, even with todays digital trickery. There simply isn't enough information in the picture signal to make an improvement. You'd just get a mountain of grain. They could be color corrected for a DVD release but that isn't going to happen.

It's ironic as it was an exec at Lorimar who was one of the pioneers of getting the studio to transfer and edit film stock to a video master. He rather foolishly thought it was the future and was quoted as saying the only high quality 35mm shows viewers would want to watch in future years would be sitcoms. NBC/Universal were never convinced of the film edited to video transfer process and ended up editing many of their shows on to laserdisc. This is why we now have pristine copies of shows such as Dynasty and Murder She Wrote in glorious HD.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Original Member Since:
    They did indeed and the results were impressive. However CBS lost money on it as the blu rays didn't sell as much as they'd hoped. Hence the planed Star Trek DS9 blu ray remaster never happened.

12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Crikey. Soapchat even teaches me something. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,482
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Are you sure about that? I've heard things like line doubling, edge enhancement, etc..., could indeed make a difference.

And why did the S10 DVDs look so much better than when that year first aired back in 1986/87?

14. tommie
    Brooding

tommie Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,245
    Original Member Since:
    I dunno
    Don't waste time writing to CBS - it's Warner Bros who "owns" Dallas.

Ironically, I live close to one of their warehouses. I might pass on their wall on a daily basis until they release Dallas in proper quality. Ha! That'll show them.

15. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Original Member Since:
    That would make the picture worse for a HD transfer. It could work for a SD DVD version I guess.

The quality of US broadcasts varied a lot in the 1980's so you probably see an improvement on the DVD. But many episodes on that set are badly interlaced with a variable colour palette as a result of the video transfer. 10 is the one season I'd love to see get the 35mm treatment so it can look like the images below.
    17202715_1478110828887204_3246841395485207118_n.jpg 16832306_1460583367306617_9092454592954544460_n.jpg 16938823_1464225143609106_4218935488735001195_n.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Elizabeth Ewins

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I wonder how many people it would take to show Lorimar that there is a market for the original Dallas in hi definition. If a 1000 people showed an interest would that do it. I also wonder if a petition could be made for the original dallas in Hi def.