It’s unmistakeable. Emmy voters replaced Dallas with Dynasty in 1982

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Majorfanofshow, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Why?

Hill Street Blues : Bochco Kozoll, executive producers; Gregory Hoblit, producer NBC

Dallas (Season 4) Philip Capice executive producer; Leonard Katzman, producer CBS

Lou Grant(Season 4) Gene Reynolds, executive producer; Seth Freeman, producer

Quincy, M.E. (Season 6) David Moessinger, executive producer; Sam Egan, producer; Lester William Berke and William O. Cairncross, supervising producers NBC

The White Shadow (Season 3) Bruce Paltrow, executive producer; Mark Tinker, producer; John Masius, coordinating producer CBS

(34th)
    [35]
    Hill Street Blues (Season 2) Steven Bochco, executive producer; David Anspaugh and Anthony Yerkovich, producers ;Gregory Hoblit, supervising producer NBC

Dynasty (Season 2) Douglas S. Cramer and Aaron Spelling, executive producers; Edward Ledding and Elaine Rich, producers; E. Duke Vincent, supervising producer ABC

Fame (Season 1) William Blinn and Gerald I. Isenberg, executive producers; Stan Rogow and Mel Swope, producers NBC

Lou Grant(Season 5) Gene Reynolds, executive producer; Seth Freeman, producer CBS

Magnum, P.I. (Season 2) Donald P. Bellisario, executive producer; Douglas Green, Andrew Schneider and Rick Weaver, producers CBS

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    1981 was the end of the season which opened with 'Who Shot JR?", a global event.

1982 was the end of the second season of DYNASTY which would be its defining year.

So it kind of makes some sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Indeed. Ironically, the 80-81 series of Dallas was largely a borefest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Actually, the second season cliffhanger of Dynasty was BORING!

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    If you count Blake and Krystle as the cliffhanger (which I don't) it was. But how can you say that about Alexis slapping Cecil to kingdom come in the middle of sex and screaming like a Maenad, "don't you dare die on me?"

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    To me, only the Blake & Krystle resolution was boring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    To me, the most interesting part of the cliffhanger was actually creepy Claudia and what she might have done with the baby. LOVED Bellwoods' performance in this episode!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    In fact season 3 premiere of dynasty was an amazing episode and would have been an even better cliffhanger to season 2. Season 3 premiere of dynasty one of few shows ever to begin with an episode more suited to be season finale episode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    Just … no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,374
    It brought huge excitement because of Adam, and the past of Alexis and Blake brought back to the forefront, so I enjoyed the episode very much, but I think cliffhangers have to bring to a climax developments that are already underway, not suddenly take new directions--which Adam was. In that sense, much as I have serious issues with Marchetta and her Diana turn of DYNASTY, Moldavia could be said to be the perfect cliffhanger: it was a series of dominoes falling one after the other at least as far back as Amanda and Prince Michael met in Acapulco.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,506
    We often associate Best Cliffhangers with death and violence, but really the only question after that is: dead or alive? You already know that that is the question that needs to be answered.
    These scenes are very thrilling, of course, but my favourite cliffhangers are the ones that make me think: OMG, what does this mean? What's going to happen next?
    And that's why the courtroom drama from season 1 is my all-time favourite cliffhanger.
    Apparently, something very important and unpleasant is going to happen, but we don't know how.
    upload_2018-7-1_3-59-56.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Majorfanofshow

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Very true. Most times finales are culmination of events or bring back old characters to shake things up! I remember when the Chinese villains of season 4 of 24 appear at the end of season 5! Another strategy can be the game of thrones norm of having penultimate episodes be finale like and last episodes be fallout

13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    That's actually what I had in mind for all the cliffhangers for how I'd do a new "Peyton Place" (yes, I'm still on that idea; whenever I like something, my brain tends to latch on and obsess over it).