EastEnders It Always Rains On Sunday: "This is where EastEnders begins..."

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by Mel O'Drama, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,844
    Medals:
    Twice, now, I've watched this cracking Ealing noir drama. If anyone hasn't yet seen it I would highly recommend it. It's a beautiful film in its own right. I do find it impossible to view it without thinking of EastEnders.

During a bit of random YouTubing I found this little piece from the BFI, discussing the film in general and covering the role of It Always Rains... in paving the way for the soaps we know today, so I thought it worth posting here (naturally the film's plot is discussed, so if you're planning to watch there may be spoilers).

"This is the starting point for soap opera..."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,844
    Medals:
    Another with a similar appeal, This Is My Street has just moved onto my viewing bucket list:

Carry On fans may recognise some of the music in the last video. Eric Rogers also composed for that series and seems to have tweaked some of this score for it. If you've seen Carry On Loving you'll recognise the music that starts at the 40 second mark. The main theme for This Is My Street is actually played during a dance sequence in Carry On Again Doctor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    Medals:
    I've seen IT ALWAYS RAIN'S ON SUNDAY, brilliant film.

I saw a film recently called the 14, made in 1971, starring June Brown and Anne Wing, 14 years before EASTENDERS started, it was like watching Dot and Lou in the early 1970s

• Like Like x 1