Melrose Place It was stupid not to include Patrick Muldoon and Rena Sofer in the Opening

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by MarkSinacori, May 27, 2018.

1. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Patrick showed up in the season 3 finale, and stayed every episode of season 4. He even was in the first 3 of season 5. He was a big part of the show during that time. It's weird they didn't put him in the opening credits. He even appeared in photo shoots with the cast in season 4. Probably from day 1 of them. For them to do that and leave him out of the opening credits was stupid. They put him in all the photo shoots, so he should have been in the intro. Also, he didn't miss one episode from the time he showed up until season 4 ended. He was always there.

The same goes for Rena Sofer. They featured her in cast photos as well. She didn't miss one episode after she showed up and was a big part of the final season but didn't get in the opening.

A lot of fans even thought they should have been in the intro.

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    It was the same thing for Marcia Cross during season 3 - she appeared in all cast pictures and all (?) episodes, but wasn't in the opening credits until season 4.

It's down to what their contract is though; I imagine that they didn't know they were going to use Marcia/Patrick/Rena in almost every episode so they just put them on a recurring contract where they would just have to pay them for the episodes they appeared in. Contract players usually have a fixed pay and get paid even if they decide not to use them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +188
    That's the same for Leann Hunley in "Dynasty", she was supposed to do a limited number of episodes but she made such an impression on the producers that they eventually gave her a contract for several seasons and thus her name was in the opening credits in the last episodes of season 7.

4. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Same for Laura Leighton in season 2: She was also included in the official cast photo.

Both Leighton and Cross received special billing in season 2 and season 3, respectively. They were listed last in the guest starring credits at the beginning of each episode ("and Laura Leighton as Sydney Andrews"/"and Marcia Cross as Dr. Kimberly Shaw"). For Leighton, this happened around mid-season. Before that, she was listed in alphabetical order among the other guest stars.

[​IMG]

On BH90210, Jamie Walters and Kathleen Robertson also appeared in some versions of the season 5 cast photo even though they were recurring at that time. After some weeks, they were credited as "Also Starring" at the beginning of each episode. In season 6, both Walters and Robertson were promoted to series regulars and appeared in the cast picture. However, there were again versions of the cast picture without them in it.

In the 2nd half of Season 6, both Emma Caulfield (Susan) and Jason Wiles (Colin) also received an "Also Starring" credit at the beginning of each episode. They were however never featured in any cast photo.

On "Models Inc.", they never added James Wilder (Adam Wilder) to the opening even though he was the only male cast member who drove some kind of story. Everyone else was just filler material.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I really want to say that Muldoon did appear in at least some episodes of the season four opening credits, if not the entire season.

6. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    No, he didn't. He was always listed as a "Special Guest Star" at the beginning of the guest cast listing, from his first appearance to his last (Special Guest Star / Patrick Muldoon as Richard Hart).

Rena Sofer on the other hand was always listed in alphabetical order among the other guest stars. Kind of strange considering that a lot of people , even less known actors, were credited as "Special Guest Star" of "Special Appearance by". Muldoon for example had only played one major role before he cast on Melrose (he was on Days ouf or Lives), but Sofer had appeared on 3 soaps before her stint on Melrose.

7. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123

Yes, so true about Laura in season 2 and Marcia in 3. But eventually they got on the cast in a later season. Yes, James Wilder had a big story in Models Inc. and he wasn't in the opening either!

8. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Yeah, I had no idea who they were. I was just a kid of 10-16 when Melrose Place was on the air. When they had Loni Anderson on the show or Donna Mills, I understood though that they were big celebs. But most of them I had no idea who they were...

9. MarkSinacori

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I had no idea who John Enos III was. I didn't know who Ann Marie Johnson were...They both were "Special Appearance". Same with Perry King. I had no idea who he was because I was not around when he was on TV in the early 1980s.