It's Official: Brexit Will Make Britain Poorer

Discussion in 'UK Politics' started by Angela Christmas, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,799
    Theresa May's government's own analysis has concluded that Brexit will make Britain poorer. While Brexiteers told us during the referendum campaign it was all "Project Fear" the evidence highlights the damage this foolhardy policy will have on our economy.

Official figures say the UK economy could be up to 3.9% smaller after 15 years under Theresa May's Brexit plan, compared with staying in the EU. This equates to a loss of £100 billion from our economy every year. If we have a no deal Brexit things could be about 3 times worse.

On Theresa May's Brexit plans, that's the equivalent of everyone who voted for Brexit in the referendum paying more than £50,000 more each year in tax. I think they should be made to pay up. They wanted this catastrophic policy so why should those of us who voted and campaign against Brexit suffer because of their desire to leave the EU?

Brexit will make UK worse off, government forecasts warn

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,073
    I thought Brexit was a terrible idea, though as a non-Briton I don't have a say. But for those who voted for Brexit, an argument could be made that they are willing to forego that 3.9% growth for more sovereignty or whatever it is the Brexiteers claimed they were getting.

3. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    Very few who voted Leave gave any consideration to the financial devastation for most of the country that would come from their choice. They just wanted to stop people who weren't exactly like them from being allowed to live and work here.

A very nice idea, and I'd certainly be up for it. Sadly, though, it will never happen. They get to screw us over with impunity.

4. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,799
    I think you're right but people make out that sovereignty is like something that's in a box that can be passed from one nation to another to use. We live in global times and the idea that the UK can act independently is laughable. As part of the EU we had influence on what the EU does as a whole, after Brexit we will be a lone, insignificant voice with less international influence and thanks to Theresa May's deal, the EU will have more say over what we can do than they do now.

Yes, xenophobia was a significant contributing factor in why many people voted for Brexit. People who don't want foreign workers in the UK need to explain how we will support our aging population without the taxes that foreign working pay in the UK. The consequence of fewer EU migrants will be more migrants from more non-EU countries because there won't be enough people of working age in the country to support our economy.

• Agree Agree x 1