I've been let go from my job

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,529
    With less pupils at our school, there was no room for me at work after this coming summer. I've been almost in a state of apathy since my boss told me this today. I really thought things would get solved, but it appears grim.

It sucks, cause I really love this job! The people that I work with especially. I hope that I will be able to keep full focus & motivation for the last two months. They will be very busy. I will need energy, motivation and focus. National exams, lots of feedback to write & grades to set.

Have you guys been let go from a job you liked, or even fired?

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 5
  2. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    I'm very sorry to hear this, Emelee.... :( Such matters can be a major hit to your confidence and very frustrating after all the hard work you've clearly put into this teaching role.
    May I advise (after being here on this earth a tad longer than your good self...o_O ) it's best to treat these circumstances as mere fate. For I can promise you, that another post will appear at just the right time for you. Honestly..... it will ;)

In fact.... when we recently moved home to a new area, I'd thought to myself that I'd quite simply sail into a new tutoring position, similar to that which I'd worked in for the past 10 years. This wasn't the case at all. That particular department of education down here was fully staffed and indeed had just been assigned cut-backs to which redundancies were on the cards.... i.e. No Job for me. :confused:

After a good few weeks of worry and a growing concern that I'd end up taking in laundry to make ends meet..... the teaching job I secured 6 months ago, was advertised.

So.... my little Swedish Butterkaka, fear not...? for you're meant to move on to something brighter and better. After all, any professional Educator needs to continually grow in order to have something fresh, relevant, and worthwhile to offer their students. :)

Fight the good fight, Miss.

K. :hugs:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,529
    Thank you for the very uplifting words!

I have been going through a quick grieving process this weekend. First shock, apathy and emptiness. Then sorrow and tears. Then feeling quite normal again. And since last night, feeling fine. Things will work out.

Maybe they will need me again in the fall? Or maybe I get another job in town or maybe I end up moving to another, but near-by, city. Either way, I am not really worried. I'm educated, I'm skilled, I'm flexible.

My anxiety issues aren't loving the uncertainty, but I think I can handle it.

:kiss:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
  4. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    No problem, Chuck.... We're all here to support each other, particularly at times such as these. :)

Perfectly understandable....... if it's any consolation, I've been going through the last of an Easter Egg...?? :eek: Not such a good idea, I guess.... :confused: :D

They may well do, Emelee... but then, it's probably best to only accept such an offert as a last resort. I've got a good feeling that something better and more secure is just around the corner.... o_O I can feel it in my left wheel-rim.... (Kev's left wheel-rim is seldom wrong... ) :rolleyes:

..... and Swedish. An added bonus, I feel o_O

Please keep us posted as to how things are going... :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,350
    I'm sorry to hear your news @Emelee and although it might not seem like it now, look at it as a opportunity to go on to something even more fabulous.

I was made redundant from my job, which I loved, after working there for 15 years and it felt like a slap in my face after giving most of my career to my then employer. However, after taking a break from working, I got a job in a completely different field which me paid more, was a lot less stressful and was much more fun.

Sadly after 3 years I was made redundant again and this time I decided to take more control over my working life and decided to become self-employed. Now I earn a lot less money but I have a much better work-life balance. I only work when I want to, I can turn down jobs I don't want to do and I've come to learn that having freedom over what I do with my time is worth so much more to me than earning a high wage. As long as I earn enough to cover my bills and everyday expenses, I'm happy

So my point is, no matter how bad losing your job is, and from my personal experience it's devastating, ultimately it could lead to going on to do better things, so stay positive, something better could be around the corner.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,529
    Good for you! That story was inspiring. Chin up!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,925
    Im a great believer in "Whats for you, wont go by you" and that there is something there with your name on it.

I also agree with @Angela Channing - money isnt everything and a work life balance is important

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,529
    *update*

I get to keep my job until December. A colleague is taking a leave of absence, and I will fill in for her.

:heels:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    I'm really sorry to hear this @Emelee, it is always hard to leave somewhere where you have worked with so much joy and pleasure, I hope you will soon find same kind of a sequal job to another school again.

I wish you good luck finding another job. ;)

10. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,529
    I updated this thread 3 days ago. I get to keep on working there until December. As with all schools, anything can happen. One month they have one teacher too many, next month they need extras to fill in for someone. My colleagues kept telling me: "we'll see you again this fall". My manicurist told me things will work out. My cousin told me the same. My BFF too. They were all correct. Even my boss revealed this week that she had a feeling that they would need me again, and that she was happy that I hadn't started looking for another job. :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    Hihi i just read the post above mine, that's great news @Emelee, well at least you can look things in life positive again with this wonderful news. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,529
    I needed this. Losing a job I absolutely love and dad having cancer, going through surgery, radiation & chemo, I needed a "win". The clouds on the sky are no longer all that dark.

But I am only hired until December. So I may only have won 4 months.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Payton Cross

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    I's sorry to hear this about your father, I hope he is okay. I hope you can stay after does 4 months, let's hope for the best.

14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,093
    *shrugs*

Teachers are always needed and I dunno. You'll be needed. Enjoy your time off.