J.R. & Gary

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Justine, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Yes, Gary finally bested J.R. in that episode, with the help of Valene and Karen, as J.R. was forced to abandon an offshore drill for a more expensive onshore drill. But J.R. turned it into his own positive by posing as some sort of "environmentally friendly" oilman in order to cut his financial losses.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    And this is the forum for...Dallas - The Original Series. Do I go to the Knots Landing forum and write about things that never happened on Knots Landing? No.

That's because you don't understand what an anti-hero is.

3. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    JR helped split Gary and Valene up. As acknowledged by Bobby Ewing in the first episode of Knots Landing (also written by Knots Landing creator and Executive Producer David Jacobs, who had created Dallas)

And you have JR grabbing baby Lucy from Valene. This vid is posted by someone called Ome. That name rings a bell. It will come to me. From the Knots Landing episode, Will The Circle Be Unbroken. Which was also written by David Jacobs.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,223
    Medals:
    Or because you don't understand what a villain is. You seem to be the only person on the board who doesn't agree that JR was a villain. But I guess you're right and we've all got it wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    Who is this "we"? Are you under the impression that you've been elected by everyone else on the board to act as their spokesman? You're convinced JR is a villain, right? OK, then tell me, on behalf of all the other posters here, who is the hero, or who are the heroes on Dallas?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,223
    Medals:
    I'm not speaking on behalf of the other posters, it's just based on my observations on what seems to be the general consensus around here. As I said on another thread when we voted for our favorite villain on the Soapland battles thread JR won with a landslide victory. So yes, that does lead me to believe that the majority of members see him as a villain. Especially as you're the only one I ever hear saying that he's not.

As for your question about who are the heroes on Dallas, again it all boils down to this black and white view you have that everyone has to be either a hero or a villain and the audience roots for the heroes and are against the villain. That may be true of cowboys and Indians in Western movies, which you seem to think Dallas is, but (thankfully) Dallas is an ensemble of complex, multilayered characters, each with their own flaws and motivations. And the audience is free to root for whomever they choose. But clearly JR is your hero, and that's ok.

7. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    Untrue. I, and according to you, only I, subscribe to the view that JR was neither a hero nor a villain. He was an antihero. If having to define JR as either a hero or a villain constitutes black and white thinking, you've just demonstrated that "black and white view" is yours and not mine. You've placed JR into that very rigidly defined role of villain - I haven't.

You're not very consistent are you? You were replying in response to my statement that JR is an antihero.

8. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,223
    Medals:
    As usual you'd rather sidestep the valid points I'm making by quibbling over semantics. Well, whatever it takes to be right I guess.

9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    You think I'm sidestepping the "valid points" you're making? How did you refute the idea that JR is an antihero? Upon what evidence did you (or would you) base your argument?

Were these what you consider "valid points"?

Those are based on nothing but mere opinion.

Maybe this was what you consider a valid point:

The funny thing is, you describe Dallas as being made up of complex. multilayered characters, each of whom the audience may be pulling for or against, yet you insist that JR must be pigeonholed into the very rigid, easily definable role of villain! Don't you see how you're contradicting yourself?

10. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,223
    Medals:
    JR was a complex, multilayered villain, as the best villains usually are. And because he was also a very charming and likeable villain most of the fans, including me, were rooting for him. There's no contradiction there. The issue is that you can't get your head round the idea that a villain is someone fans, including you, could or should be rooting for, which requires you to label him as something else and go out of your way to justify many of his actions. Anyway, I'll leave you to it!

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,084
    Medals:
    JR's reaction at 1:55

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +797
    Medals:
    I feel Jock used JR and spoiling of Bobby was because Bobby never had to work to get what he wanted - he could make deals but the real work of getting down and dirty as Jock demanded wasn’t required. Jock pushed and pushed and pushed JR, then when it required something like mortgaging Southfork to accomplish JR gets slammed. He can do no right yet Bobby can do no wrong. Bobby can demand power and everyone gives it to him (even Jock despite his posturing in front of his friends). JR has to work for it against all odds.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +797
    Medals:
    Not to chime into someone else conversation, but myself and many others agree that it’s too simplistic to call JR a villain. For instance, JR goes against a clearly illegal cartel and sells cut rate gas to the public - the show shows him as the bad guy, and yes a lot to it. But the Cartel certainly weren’t good guys. What was wrong with mortgaging Southfork? I could make an argument that Miss Ellie was truly evil was refusing to drill for oil on Southfork. Our economy needs oil to function. The amount of oil under Southfork was considerable. There are many technologies even in her day to get at the oil and not destroy the land. Yet by not getting it companies like Ewing Oil have to engage in far risky off shore ventures. Furthermore, even if pumping that oil up was seen as greedy she could have set up a foundation and literally given billions to help people in need. There’s sort of an evil in her demand to horde the oil because of one man long since dead. It’s not so easy as to say JR is a villain despite what Bobby and Pam night tell you.

• Like Like x 2
  14. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +797
    Medals:
    Contrary to Val’s belief, it wasn’t just JR ruining her romances. Lucy screwed them up pretty much of her own doing and part of it was probably the life style she was accustom to that none of her beaus lived up to. JR could be a bastard, no doubt, and certainly was a snob, but the truth is Val didn’t do very much to influence her daughter even in the moments where she did have a chance, despite her grand pronouncement here and her later considerable financial success of her own.

Btw way, Gary was right. Why should Val rise to JR’s bait. Let him talk. You only give him power when you feed into his taunting. A true evil villain doesn’t earn you what they’re going to do - they just do it. Gary knee just how to handle his brother. Wait him out until he’s burned himself out.

15. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    Well, JR is deliberately saying that stuff to test how true is Abby’s claim (a fib) that Valene is thinking of moving back to Dallas with Gary. Which JR doesn’t want. JR is also trying to find out if Sid is aware of Gary’s illegal business dealings in stolen auto parts being moved through Knots Landing Motors. Sid clearly doesn’t know. JR is in town for an oil convention and Abby has asked him to loan Gary $50000, using the excuse that without the money, Gary and Valene might move back to Dallas. Gary is aware that Abby was intending to go to JR for the money. Gary needs the money urgently to pay off Roy and Frank, who will come for him otherwise. At the same time, apart from wanting something for himself if he makes it easy for Gary to borrow the money, JR is getting interested in Sid’s engine, which forms the basis of JR’s next appearance. Also, Gary was then having an affair with the wife of the man he was sponsoring at Alcoholics Anonymous. Lucy got married on Dallas the following night.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,084
    Medals:
    I didn't mean his reaction to what was going on or what was being said. I just thought it was a priceless, funny JR moment. He was overreacting, but Larry Hagman wasn't overacting.
    It makes him look like the stereotypical filthy-rich-but-unsophisticated-American-tycoon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +797
    Medals:
    So Gary had other reasons for not jumping to JR’s Nate other than it just no good.

18. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +797
    Medals:
    Very much. He was so second generation new money. Lol. Either a failure or killing it - JR was a bit of both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,838
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    JR became a true nymphomaniac (is this right for a man?) after he was shot: in that same season, JR didn´t only slept with Abby (and Sue Ellen, because they were at good terms...), but also with good old Louella, Sally Bullock, Afton (of the "Steal Me Away" fame...), and still had time to go after the old blonde librarian called Leslie Stewart. Those were good old times for him, that´s for sure...

[​IMG]

"Oh JR, there are 5 things I can do well, and one of them
    is identify that nasty perfume "Secretoire"..."​

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    Jock was really weird in that he got some odd thrills in making his children fight.

• Agree Agree x 1