J.R. & Gary

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Justine, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    Medals:
    And got a Time magazine cover out of it, foreshadowing the real-life Larry as JR cover later in the year.
    The male equivalent is satyr.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    Yes, also referred to as a satyromaniac. Having sex with 5 women in a year besides his wife doesn't make a man a satyromaniac, though. JFK supposedly had sex with a different woman almost every night and I don't know that even he was commonly referred to as a satyromaniac. It's a very extreme condition. JR would much more likely be classified as a womanizer, a ladies' man or a playboy. Since JR was married, he was a cheater as well. Of course, JFK was also a cheater, it was known, and he was still one of the most beloved Presidents we've had.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    He came from a different era, where "masculinity" was determined by your aggression and a sort of survival-of-the-fittest attitude, where fighting (be it in your personal life or your professional life) was the way to prove your worth. This is exemplified by his infamous "real power is something you TAKE!" motto. So it's no surprise that he would think that the best way to make his boys strong is to have them fight each other, to see who wants "it" more. In his mind, this should bring out the best in both of them. And it's why he ultimately rejected Gary, as he didn't have those aggressive tendencies, and Jock saw that as "weak".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429

It's not the era; life has always been about the survival of the fittest. Darwin discovered that. Survival of the fittest was a scientific finding he made and science is not ruled by societal trends.

Jock's idea that "Nobody gives you power" is correct because that what is given can be taken away.

Then Jock said "Real power is something you take." If one acquires power, or success, by his own merits rather than through a favor, he has earned that power. Nobody can ask him to give that power back because that power or that success is that man's own. Nobody has a claim to it but the man who has acquired it through his own work.

5. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    JR once told Valene that she was holding Gary back

6. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You're being overly literal. I'm not discussing human evoluation, but replying to a comment made in observance of Jock's parenting style, and why he apparently got "thrills" from making his sons fight, as opposed to, say, teaching them to work together as partners (like he always claimed he wanted).

7. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    Gary once told a story about when he used to be into the rodeo and he used to practice on a mean horse on the ranch. It would throw him and he would get back up again. When he was fifteen, he figured he was ready for the rodeo but Jock figured otherwise. So Gary sneaked into the rodeo with his friends and got drunk and rode the meanest horse he could find. He stayed on it for eight seconds but when it threw him, he broke his back. Afterwards, Jock came to see him and it was like he was proud of Gary for having the guts to do it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  8. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    I wasn't referring to jus evolution. Business is a lot like that. The less "fit" businesses get run out of business by their competition. Jock was just toughening them up so they'd be ready for a very competitive world.

9. Jabari Lamar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Well I'm not going to get into an argument about the effectiveness or not of Jock's parenting style right now.

10. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    Well, no arguing but Gary does stop a couple of times when telling that story, in a scene making it clear that he didn’t see eye to eye with his father/Jock’s way of looking at things.

In the aftermath of the reading of Jock’s Will, Gary does spend a lot of time thinking about his father’s opinions about him and JR too. He eventually comes to discover that he is sad about Jock’s death but it doesn’t mean that Jock was right about him. And he stands up to JR again, as he previously did when JR was planning to drill near Gary’s home.
    https://dallasdecoder.com/2012/06/05/scene-of-the-day-j-r-it-never-rains-in-southern-california/

Well, JR did seem pleased about the prospect of Gary getting together with Abby. And he added that Abby should keep Gary out of his showroom (Dallas). When Abby asked him what would she get in return for keeping Gary out of Dallas, JR replied, “My blessing”. And JR had sex with Abby before Gary did.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    But JR called Gary’s wife Valene his favourite sister-in-law! Compared to Pam, obviously. JR enjoyed popping over to see Valene.And he liked her book so much, he bought the publishing company! And requested that she signed his copy, “To my favourite brother-in-law in the whole wide world”.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?r=9&v=eETRg-qigr4

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    Well...erm...
    PDVD_656.JPG
    PDVD_650.JPG

"Well, I was in L.A. for a couple of days, takin' care of a little unfinished business and uh, I couldn't very well leave town without droppin' in to say hello to my little brother, could I?"
    -JR to Gary in A Family Matter

PDVD_628.JPG
    PDVD_630.JPG
    PDVD_599.JPG

“When I get back, I’ll give everybody a kiss for you”
    -JR to Gary, after loaning Gary $100000 in A Family Matter (written by David Paulsen).
    PDVD_643.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Medals:
    I wish Gary would have punched Jock’s ass out.....

14. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    Who wants to see a son punch his father? That's sickening!

15. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    A39D7116-2289-4ADB-8711-A88C08A77CDA.jpeg

16. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
  17. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    12.5 years have popped by since I first blackmailed my way into one of the soapchats, popping in and out without comeuppance. In those early times, I used to search up just about every old thread that I could find that discussed JR and Gary’s relationship. Since it was a relationship which spanned both Dallas and Knots Landing, there was never any trouble about people discussing that material on each forum when relevant. Especially with most of JR’s longer dialogue exchanges with Gary actually taking place on Knots Landing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I would love to see JR and Bobby make a life for themselves, away from Southfork, Ewing Oil and all that money and power, like the "weaker" Gary managed to do before he had even heard of Knots Landing. They would have gone running home to Daddy inside a month.

19. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    Was it ever explained where Gary was and what he was doing when Lucy was taken from Valene?

When Gary found out Lucy had been taken to Southfork, what did he do to get Lucy back?

20. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Medals:
    Lucy was on Southfork when Gary left. Gary didn’t know that JR was going to drive Valene away and to order her to never return to Texas. It was explained that Gary had left because of pressures from Jock and JR. Gary said that all his life, Jock made him feel worthless. JR claimed to have broken Gary and threatened to do it again. Gary said that every time he had tangled with JR, he had lost. JR claimed to always have come out on top when he dealt with Gary. It isn’t clear if and when Gary found out pre-1978. It isn’t even totally clear if he never ever visited Southfork in the intervening years. A comment from Valene to Lucy suggests that he may have made a couple of fleeting visits. Yet he may have been absent for sixteen years. Valene tried to get Lucy back, physically and legally. Being around Jock and JR had made Gary feel he wasn’t good for anything. Fortunately in the aftermath of the reading of Jock’s Will, Gary begins to find out that Jock was wrong in his opinions about him and that JR is actually afraid of him.