Jacqueline Bisset as Frankie?

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Snarky's Ghost, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    But it's kind of Krystle and Alexis reversed. For me at least.
    I see Sable as more Krystle-like even thought she isn't meant to be. Everything she's doing is for the good of her family, the love of her husband. She's Krystle with added bite, Krystle with some Alexis qualities. Frankie is Alexis, Alexis with added horribleness. A certain added victimy-ness that Alexis would never stoop to. Even at her most demented Alexis would never have played that weak victim card.

2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,178
    Medals:
    Oh please. She blamed Krystle for everything that went wrong, mostly (if not always) things she did herself.
    How many times did she say 'but what about meeee?"
    Never stoop to. Give me a break.

It was Sable who turned the Colby House into a warzone with her ongoing quest to get Jeff out of her life. Jason warned her over and over again, "please, stop this!"
    "He wants Fallon so he can have the Carrington fortune too!" See, that's what Sable was all about.
    I'm not saying that she didn't love her husband and children, but she was willing to lose everything in order to secure the *entire* Colby fortune.

This is how it happened in the episodes, it's not my opinion or anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    I think I worded my post wrong. It's hard to describe Frankie's actual brand of horribleness. She had a very passive aggressive/manipulative way of doing things that Alexis didn't have. Alexis would stomp and bawl and yell and all of that. She did blame others for things that went wrong but she was just so ballsy in doing so. Frankie played that mousy weak victim schtick to a TEE!
    Wasn't it Connie? In bringing Jeff there in the first place? And even if it was Sable wasn't she right? It was her damn house! She was protecting her damn son! Why should she have listened to Jason's pleadings for her to stop anything? Why would he be a voice of reason in any of this? He was in bed with her damn sister.

4. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +436
    In the pilot, it also said that Jeff's mother just got remarried. Maybe Jeff thought he did not belong to his mother's life anymore ? What is sure is that Jeff did not seem very happy to have seen his mother.

Yes, and in the bible for the 1st season of "The Colbys", it is said that Frankie was married to Peter Hamilton for 20 years, so from 1964 to 1984. So that does not work with the version given in the pilot of "Dynasty" (unless Frankie and Peter renewed their vows in 1980).

That said, the longevity of that second marriage explains (partly) why Frankie was not there for Jeff : she travelled from capital to capital with her husband (a diplomat, like Roger Langdon). At the beginning of "The Colbys" she have become a widow so she suddenly have more time for her son (and for Jason and Roger...)

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,178
    Medals:
    He was also looking for Fallon. But Constance thought Jason was going to die, and she thought Miles wasn't ready to take over (and he wasn't).
    No she wasn't.
    And it wasn't her house.
    And Jeff was Andrew Colby's grandson too.

It's nothing but ordinary greed, and she wasn't just protecting Miles. She was very much thinking about herself too.
    However, I do understand her frustration. People aren't always reasonable and I also know how greed "feels".
    But that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with it so she can have it her way.

But all of this is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. It's what made The Colbys such a compelling story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    Debatable
    Maybe not in deed. But that was Sable Colby's home. The place she had called home all her married life, and it was her children's home too.
    Yes, no matter which of the two Colby brothers fathered him. Tramp.
    Not at all true. If greed was her motivation Sable could have just walked away with probably the biggest divorce settlement that America would have seen. Greed wasn't her motivation.

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,178
    Medals:
    And it could have been Jeff's home too, if he hadn't moved to Denver. But that was not his decision.
    Greed isn't always about $$$$. It's usually about not wanting to share. Wanting it all. A divorce settlement would be a part of it, it wouldn't be *all* of it.

And there were other things she did, trying to keep Miles and Fallon (or Randall, whatever would work best!) together - at all costs.
    Who cares about amnesia, and that she was supposed to (re)marry Jeff and who cares about LB?
    Again, I understand Sable and Miles' frustration, it was a very unfortunate situation for everyone involved. But a fact is a fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    I guess we could go on like this all day... all year... but we wont.

We just see it different.

9. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +436
    I see both Sable and Francesca as insecure people but their insecurity comes out very differently. Sable can't move on on her life (even though it is obvious that nothing can be saved anymore) while Frankie is unable to live her life fully (as she can't make some choices on her own).

In the 9th season of "Dynasty", Sable have managed to start a new life. I wonder if in the Paulsenian's version of "Dynasty" Francesca could have found the strength to fulfill her life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    Medals:
    So she claimed. I'm not saying it wasn't true, just that we only have Alexis' word on that. Was that ever even brought up in the show again? I know she talked about being exiled, and in Season 7 there was that flashback where Blake said he was going to pay Alexis to stay away.

Now there you got me. That's very plausible, yes.

Holy CRAP, didn't I say in my last message that she could have met with Fallon and Steven OUTSIDE of Denver? The kids went off to boarding school, college, New York and other places overseas.

Funny how Blake didn't cut her off when she returned to Denver in Season 2... unless he did, and I just don't remember? Had Alexis been saving up all that time and didn't need the allowance anymore? Was it ever clarified?

And that's why she didn't become Empress of Denver for most of the series... then again, we're talking '60s values vs. '80s values, so maybe the changing times are at fault here. :lol:

That was a big plot hole. If Cecil was so crazy about Alexis, he surely would have at least kept in contact with her, just to secretly spite Blake. Except when the series first started out, Blake and Cecil were on better terms. Season 2 sort've retconned them into mortal enemies.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,178
    Medals:
    I think of Sable as a lovely villain, and Francesca as a weak heroine. It wasn't as black & white as Krystle vs. Alexis, but I liked that too, of course. I rooted for Krystle (always! although I didn't like her when she lived in La Mirage, quelle surprise) and I loved to hate Alexis. Really hated that woman, and I loved her for it. And I had posters on the wall to prove it.

But there were definitely moments when I felt sorry for Sable (and Miles too).
    For example, when Jason accused her of infidelity (Connie's tape) when that was exactly what she didn't do.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    Yes I'm sure it was brought up again, even in season 9.
    I'm sure she was cut off the moment she set foot in that witness box.
    By the time they had went to college or moved to New York or wherever ten years or more had passed. It wasn't like she could just pop in and say Hi! The damage had been done, she was a ghost.
    Until Alexis married Cecil and inherited his fortune and the majority share in Colby Co she was ruined in Denver. However once you inherit billions, then of course, you become everyone's darling, regardless of prior scandals.

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,178
    Medals:
    Did she volunteer or was she summoned to appear in court? Then she wouldn't have a choice and wouldn't break the contract.
    Well I guess it didn't help when she moved into the studio:lol:.
    Precisely,a ghost - not a monster. Blake wouldn't do that because he wouldn't allow anyone to mention her name.
    I guess the children grieved, grew up and then moved on.
    It's not like they ever tried to find their mother.

14. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    Come on, season 1 Blake would have certainly bad mouthed Alexis to his children.

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,178
    Medals:
    I think the subject "mother" was verboten. He wanted her out of his life, completely, that's the whole point of banishment.

16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    Children miss their mothers, and Alexis wasn't dead. He had to shut them up somehow and he couldn't say I paid her to stay away. What did he tell them?

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,178
    Medals:
    "Your mother is gone and she won't come back. But it's going to be just fine".
    Well, Fallon loved her father so much, she simply assumed it was all her mother's fault.
    Steven was too afraid to say or ask anything.

I guess Andrew Laird and Joseph were the only other ones who really knew what happened, but they wouldn't tell without Blake's permission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,849
    Medals:
    I guess he figured she still hadn't found that special rainbow.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,228
    Medals:
    No, but Steven certainly did.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Oh, I’ve forgotten what he said in the pilot regarding her. If he had just seen her, this would be the adult Jeff then.

It’s hazy, but I seem to remember Jeff saying something like he’d attended his mother’s second wedding as a boy, and he’d disliked his step-father; had wanted to push his face into the punch bowl. That he was a boy when the wedding took place must be a false memory appearing real to me.

On The Colbys, Jeff said Constance sent him a wedding photo of his mother (when he was a boy, I think) – it left me with the impression that he’d never attended Frankie’s wedding to Peter Hamilton.

• Like Like x 1