Jacqueline Bisset as Frankie?

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Snarky's Ghost, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I would have much preferred that Jeff was not related to the family Fallon had married into.

I suspect Bast’s & Huson’s hands were tied. Dynasty was writing it that amnesia-bound Fallon would see Miles in the newspaper, learn his family name was Colby and be triggered by it. They wanted that story happen on their show and gave Miles a reason to be in Denver – joining his family at a party at the Carringtons after playing polo someplace. He'd met Fallon first (she’d sought him out), invited her to tag along to the party, she took one look at the house and screamed to get out of there.

It was also Dynasty who wanted moody Jeff to be obsessed with the notion that buried Fallon was now alive, rather than wanting to put her death behind him and start afresh someplace out of town. Of course, he had to be the one to catch a glimpse of Fallon as Miles drove away from the Carrington mansion. What were the Pollocks thinking? Female fantasy?

Not nearly as implausible as Dynasty rewriting its Colby story in S6 so that the tale is now that Jeff had known all along that he had an uncle and aunt and cousins; had even visited them, had also had his uncle Cecil tell him that his uncle Jason was the type not to listen to anything Jeff (others, too?) might have to say. Dynasty also had Blake suddenly having known Jason & siblings from when they were much younger, and bearing a grudge against Jason for 20 years for something he and Ben had done. And, even while the showrunners were rewriting chapter and verse of the Dynasty Colby history they chose to keep the story that Philip was buried at home; except they now included the tidbit that Jason had never once visited his grave. What were the Pollocks thinking? Female fantasy?

Given that Dynasty suddenly wanted more Colbys on its show before The Colbys could launch, how would you have Jason Colbys’ family return from Denver as another family for the TC series launch?

2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I don’t know if you’re quoting early Dynasty or not (along with some of the rest, including the 3-year stay with parents) as I don’t recall that being the story on TC. Perhaps, my memory fails me. I do recall that on TC, Jeff was hurt she didn’t come to get him from Cecil when his father died.

The above is part of the Dynasty Colby story, per S6.

On TC, Philip wasn’t getting an inheritance, as Andrew had disinherited him (before Phil signed up for military service).

According to Connie on TC, Frankie had no idea that Philip had been disinherited.

We have no idea if Cecil had been in the know about Phil’s disinheritance from the beginning, but he certainly would have been when Connie wrote to him – to say she planned to someday give Jeff what would have been Philip’s share had he not been disinherited/died; I forget which circumstance. (Andrew was alive when he disinherited Phil. Perhaps, Connie had it in mind to give part of her holdings to Phil after their father died, but never got the chance so then decided to give it to Jeff when he was older.)

Yikes! That proves how bad my hearing is. I always thought Jason had said that Sable loved surprises. And, Zack managing to entice Sable to have dinner with him with a surprise he thought she’d enjoy (after their one-night stand & break-up) simply reinforced that thought.

Kinda like how it goes in the Ricardo Montalbán movie The Saracean Blade, with the wife and love interest. (There is also the mistress from a far off land.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,364
    Medals:
    No, these things were mentioned in TC episode 1.5

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,561
    Krystle wasn't a saint, original Krystle anyway. Cardboard Krystle was. Cardboard Frankie was a bad copy of a the martyr (and you yourself have mentioned many times how she supposedly sacrificed her own happiness, like leaving for London for 2.3 episodes).
    As for a different story, of two women fighting over a man....hmm, why aren't I convinced? Maybe because one was even the cousin of Alexis? Or because someone says it is yet another story with one woman the villain and one woman the heroine?

Originally these two weren't black and white. Krystle slept with a mentally ill woman's husband. Alexis was blackmailed into exile from her children by a violent first husband and she did take the blame for Jeff's poisoning to protect her son. Both characters turned to cliches later. But Frankie was the cliche of the scooby doo adulteress right away.

I keep trying not to bring up that laughable storyline so people won't think I always bring up THE COLBYS most ridiculous moments. I bet you Adam also had a life changing experience once when he slipped on the bath mat, and that is how he turned nice there for some seasons.

As for Sable, she did start out more evil and greedy, though Connie giving Jeff half of the Colbyco fortune was ridiculous--it would have been different if she gave him a bigger share and the other kids a smaller share. But suddenly this guy who already had a fortune in Denver also gets half of the family company. It was like watching the Brady Bunch kids and Jeff being another bimbo Marcia. But with the help of Beecham, they modulated Sable quickly, so that she was flawed but had redeeming qualities. It was one of the things I liked when Paulsen brought her on DYNASTY for season 9, that she again was someone who had secrets and her own self-promoting agenda but also cared for a select few.

5. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Actually, Jeff lost most of his money at the end of season 4 when Denver Carrington filled for bankruptcy.

6. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,561
    Well, a company filing for bankruptcy does not mean someone who owns almost 50% of it loses their money. Often quite the opposite--it protects their assets from creditors. One of the wonderful perks of being super rich.

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,364
    Medals:
    You know what I mean. Some fans don't like Frankie but everyone liked Krystle and everyone understood that Alexis was the villain. That's what I meant with Sable-Frankie being "less obvious than the Krystle-Alexis" feud.
    But you already know that, you're just playing with words here.
    I'm not trying to convince you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Medals:
    But Connie didn't give Jeff the ColbyCo fortune. ColbyCo belonged to Cecil, and he divided it up between Alexis and Jeff. As for Constance, she gave Jeff her *share* of ColbyEntreprises, which is the same share that Philip, Jeff's "father", would have inherited, but didn't. Miles, Monica and Bliss were set to inherit from their own father, while Jeff was going to inherit from his own father through his aunt.

9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,561
    I am embarrassed to say that in haste I performed the REUNION faux pas in reverse. I meant Colby Enterprises.
    Now, regardless of what would have happened if Philip were alive, and not impotent, and Frankie was not a slut, and Connie was not having her geriatric affair with Hutch making me puke, the reality is that before her move, Sable and the kids would have assumed the three kid were getting the 50% from Jason and also the 50% of Connie since she had no offspring. But suddenly the three have to share Jason's only, while Jeff gets Connie's share, and each kid is left with almost 17% and Jeff gets 50%--a seismic shift of power.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Medals:
    Yes. Hence why Sable took great offense at the whole thing, and understandably so. But it was still Connie's money, and she could do with it what she pleased. Although maybe if she had done it the way you suggested earlier: giving Jeff the lion's share (no pun intended) while the other three got smaller shares, then maybe Sable would have left the matter alone... or would she? Sable proved herself to be quite greedy on TC (though she seemed less so on DYNASTY), she still probably would have tried to get all the money for her kids, leaving Jeff completely out.

11. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    If Philip had been "alive" when Andrew died, he would have had 33% of the company. So it is what Jeff should have had plus 25% of Connie's 33%, that is to say approximately 8%. So Jeff should have had 41% instead of 50%.

But remember that Connie thought that Jason was about to die and that Jason's kids were not ready to replace him. So she wanted Jeff to take the lead of the Colby Entreprises, something he would have not been able to do with "only" 41%.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  12. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,561
    Well, at that time the writers only cared to drive a wedge between Sable and Jason for Frankie to come between them, so it served their purpose.
    But while Sable was too dismissive of how Connie would leave her money, as you said, there was an issue of why give it to Jeff and why all of it? It's not like he wasn't already rich in Denver. And you can't just walk into a family business after never having been around the family or the business--plus a ton of money does not make up for them neglecting him for decades so that was utter nonsense also.
    If the writers had thought to make Connie come late in season 5 and say she had heard of Fallon and him being without a mother for his child and deciding she wanted to show him he has a family in California, that would be different, percentages aside. But no, they had to make it so that it was born out of her reaction to the stupid "Jason is dying" gimmick. Once he got the revised diagnosis, Connie should have said "oops, nothing to see here, go back to Denver and take your wife with you."

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,364
    Medals:
    But since he turned out to be Jason's son he may inherit from Jason as well, so he'd still end up being the major shareholder. King Jeff rocks!:D
    Ah, not to mention Satan's power that he would inherit from his mother.
    [​IMG]
    It's called destiny.
    I assume there would be shares and money and property.
    But it seems fair to give all grandchildren an equal share. However, what would Bliss do with her voting power? And how about Monica, Miles' twin sister?
    It would be Jeff against Sable's children, they're not too bad, but when push comes to shove I think they would side with Miles.
    And if they would side with Jeff during a voting round, well that would be even more dramatic - especially if Sable would still be around.
    And Sable had plans, she wanted Miles on the throne, not Miles and Monica and Bliss, and Jeff wasn't welcome at all.
    None of them would ever have to worry about money, I'm sure of that.

Jason's terminal disease proved to be false alarm and Connie could have revoked her gift, but Sable (not exactly Connie's favourite) had already started to move heaven and earth to undermine her sister-in-law, had tried to bonjour Jeff out of the Colby House and away from his wife, who now happened to be Miles' wife because of her amnesia.
    I could imagine she would stick with her decision just to spite Sable.

What a bunch! It's almost like a soap that was written to please and entertain me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. GillesDenver

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    In this case, it should have been mentioned at some point. Bu the way, I think that Connie should have been much more machiavellian. For instance, we could have found at some point that she wanted Francesca back in Jeff's life not for him but in order to destroy Jason's marriage to Sable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Medals:
    Meh, I've heard too many people accuse Constance of just that, and I'm kind've sick of it. Instead, I'd have it so that Connie did bring Frankie back for sincere reasons... but after Sable pulled her stunt of trying to institutionalize Connie, then the latter would have worked overtime in getting her revenge by pushing Frankie and Jason together.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,364
    Medals:
    Oh yes, she could have been the baddest bitch in Colby Land.
    But I would make her Jason's enemy, not Sable (although she wouldn't like Sable anyway) and she would never show her true colours.
    I'm thinking about a teenage pregnancy (she had a one-night stand with the old King of Moldavia, Galen's father) and Connie's parents decided to raise her child as their own - thus Philip becoming her brother.
    Philip went off the rails because he knew he could never be as perfect as his older brother, eventhough Jason tried to help him time after time.
    And eventually Jason stopped helping him and we know what happened after that, and Connie blamed him for everything - albeit not openly.

When Jason was going to die she saw the perfect opportunity to bring back her (presumed!) grandson and make him the #1 of Colby Enterprises, and I'm sure she had planned a deathbed confession for dear brother Jason. "No-one can protect Miles when you're gone, and I'm going to make sure that Philip's son, my grandson, is going to get everything. Now die and rot in hell".
    Unexpected twist: the diagnose was incorrect due to a database mix-up.
    Time for Plan B: create havoc, ruin his marriage and his relationship with Miles.

And then when Jason turned out to be Jeff's father she hated him even more because he "robbed" her of her grandson. And that's when she turns to Zach Powers: they ALL have to destroyed!
    upload_2018-7-20_1-54-11.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,667
    Medals:
    And, of course, it turns out she was involved in funding the coup d'état in Moldavia...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,364
    Medals:
    ^
    That was nothing compared to the humiliation after she was dismissed by the Royal Family!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,561
    That makes one of us. :D
    You see Frankie as a carefully constructed mess by a team who knew what it was doing. I see her problems as emblematic of a show that in terms of story, character and casting was half-baked, was put on the air with a weak foundation (amnesia, the fake terminal illness, out of the blue family connections) and where Frankie's aimlessness is just a compass for all that. I think the show tried to fix a lot of its errors in the second year, but by then the ratings die was cast.

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,364
    Medals:
    And to think how good it was despite all this...you could say that The Colbys did the impossible.
    Now I love it even more! Thank you Michael Torrance:pals:

• Funny Funny x 1