1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

James Dean

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Jan 27, 2020.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Why hasn't James Dean gotten his own thread? Has it gotten one somewhere and I haven't found it?

Either way, I've started one here.

James Dean was one of the earliest drawing cards that got me glued to classic Hollywood. I remember watching the Forever Young documentary on him I got from Big Lots several years ago for like three dollars, and since then, my admiration has grown.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    James Dean getting tested for his climatic oil scene in Giant, a movie he didn't quite finish before his death.

[​IMG]

3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,607
    He was great. It's a tragedy that he died so young.

Oh and I hope you'll enjoy this fan music video tribute that I've made to him several years ago:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. ClassyCo

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I remember reading somewhere that during the filming of Giant that Liz Taylor and Rock Hudson made a bet as to who could bed Dean the quickest. Apparently, Rock Hudson won.

That's the way the story I heard goes, any way.

More than likely, it is all just hearsay or straight out lies. It's quite well-known, however, than James Dean struggled, or experimented, with his sexuality. I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon of calling him gay, but I certainly think he might have been bisexual, bi-curious, or willing to engage in same-sex intercourse to further his career. A lot of good-looking guys back then traveled the casting couches just like the ladies did, most of the time under the supervision of talent scout Henry Willson.

[​IMG]

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,209
    Well, Elizabeth publicly referred to both Rock and Jimmy as "gay" some 30+ years later, the wench.

Rock admitted that he and Jimmy didn't like each other. Dean fans, of course, insist the enmity between the two actors was due to "jealousy" (on Rock's part, of course) but James Dean alienated a number of his co-stars. A method actor, he seemed to try and manufacture animosity with the actors with whom he wasn't supposed to get along on screen -- Raymond Massey hated him, but his female co-stars (eg, Julia Harris, Carol Baker, Natalie Wood, Elizabeth Taylor) generally had a better experience with him because his character was supposed to get along with them on-screen.

Baker has also said that while Dean was somewhat "shy" that he could come out of his shell to manipulate and "compete" for someone's off-camera attention (like befriending Taylor to "take her away from" Rock).

I'm sure he was a little exhausting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,149
    A lot of the great actors have been gay or bisexual. Do you think this is more likely because becoming a professional actor especially appeals to gay people (even more than it does to straight people in general) and that makes a particularly high percentage of gay people pursue an acting career, or because gay people maybe tend to have more innate talent for acting (on average) than the rest of the populace?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,209
    A lot of it has to do without an openness (behind the camera) in Hollywood where people tended to be out-of-the-closet or "known about" just so long as they didn't identify as "gay" publicly. So in later decades, when the gay issue is less damning (although leading men still can't be "out" even today) we find out how many of the old, masculine stars were indeed of the homo or bi variety.

In the real world, most gay people still don't self-identify as such, although obviously there's more acceptance than there once was. In the current era, about 5% publicly identify as gay/bi, while CDC still insists it's a miniscule 1 to 2% (which is ridiculous). Kinsey said in the 1940s that it was 10% (although there have been efforts to question that science and lower the number). Scientific observers of wildlife were pressured for eons to not acknowledge the existence of homosexuality in nature (for fear humans might think it was "normal") but their research seemed to turn out the 15% statistic for many species.

With people, in or out of show business, it's hard to say because social pressure keeps most people -- even today -- disinclined to communicate their lusts, and for many it's easy to hide or even suppress.

I recall Rock Hudson doing an interview only weeks before he died just prior to turning 60 in the fall of 1985 where he answered a reporter's question about how many male stars in Hollywood were gay. That answer was "probably most," and he added, "believe me, America does not want to know"'

The "bi" thing -- which is shockingly real -- can likely never be tabulated, human sexuality (and the culture) being what it is.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1