Dallas Character Jock Ewing - A Great Man!

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Pammy P, Sep 17, 2016.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    A lot of people seem to want to sanctify Jock because of Jim Davis, but as a character I always found Jock a way more villainous character and in all honesty, if Jim hadn't died he might have gone in that direction. JR had to have learnt his craft somewhere; Gary on the other hand was too weak and - dare I say it - too much like miss Ellie. Bobby might have been the only one with some sort of balance between Jock and Ellie.

Of course, when Jock died he was on the series portrayed as a Saint - which is very true to what often happens in real life. It does not mean he was one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +730
    I believe that because Jim Davis died, Jock was remembered as a saint. The war hero story of saving the Jews comes to mind. Although I didn't see him as a saint, I saw him as an excellent man. I'm curious, what where the things that made him "villainous" to you?

JR did learn from his father but not the shitty stuff he did - not the compulsive cheating and emotional abuse of his wife. Also, remember JR told Jock that he offered Pam money to have her marriage annulled in the very first episode? If Jock had been as you described him, he would have approved! However, his reaction was "You jackass"! He told JR that he had to learn the art of subtlety. JR actually then asked "Why"? He really didn't know what the use of subtlety was! That's a tremendous testament to the difference between Jock and JR and how JR's worst deeds were precisely from the lack of learning everything Jock taught him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    So, Jock's criticism of JR in the first episode was that he essentially didn't have the proper tact to buy Pamela Barnes off?

That's not a nice guy move - that's someone who knows how to handle business and telling his jack-ass son that he did a no-no.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +730
    No. It sounds like you might enjoy watching that episode again. It seems you'd be surprised at how different Jock is from what you're imagining. I don't have an especially good memory but I saw this episode just a few weeks ago. Jock went on to say about Bobby and Pam marrying "I'm not sure it's a bad thing anyway." Then in the 5th and final episode of the miniseries Jock says to Pamela as she's lying in bed recovering from her fall some comforting words that show he has grown to care for her. He goes on to say "You've found out that we Ewings aren't the easiest family to live with. Maybe we Ewings have gotten our way for so long that it's gotten in our way of just being people. I don't expect you to have any reason to really care, but I don't want you to leave. I want to keep my family together." Not the "vllainous" guy, you thought he was, huh?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I believe JR and Jock were more alike than you want to admit. He did cheat on Miss Ellie and fathered Ray. Remember the storyline when Jock was running around with a much younger woman? I still remember a scene where Miss Ellie tells JR something to the effect “Your daddy wouldn’t have did that”. JR’s response “You don’t know half the things daddy did.”

You have to remember that we see an older Jock that probably wasn’t quite as ruthless as he was in his younger days. And all that “shitty” stuff JR did, Jock turned the other cheek to just about all of it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +730
    JR was a grown man. What would you have Jock do? Ground him?

7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,400
    Jock, a great man- let me think...…………….

Committed 1st wife to sanitorium - TICK
    Lied to second wife and not told about 1st wife - Tick
    Unfaithful and had a mistress in the war - TICK
    fathered a child out of wedlock - TICK
    Used 3bs to blackmail, bribe, collude and trap any rival - TICK
    Drove no 2 son away as he was seen as weak- TICK
    Caused Jonus Culver to commit suicide as he got him committed to sanitorium to steal land - TICK
    Rode roughshod over Tom Owens - TICK
    Pitted sons against each other - TICK
    male chauvinist - a womans place is in the bedroom not the board room - TICK
    Your're over stepping your place Miss Ellie - WTF!! - TICK

and then there was Digger who Jock wasn't all to blame for his issues in life but certainly helped.

that's not a great man in my book - a chauvinist, a bully and used to getting his own way and would fight anyone who stood in his way by buying off, setting up, corrupting and deceiving. I was never really sure why Miss Ellie married him - yes to save the ranch - and stuck with him. Id take Clayton any day of the week.

JR was his fathers son without a doubt and learnt at the feet of the master!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    To be honest, I found Jock harder to take than J.R. At least J.R. was always trying to cover his tracks knowing he had done terrible things but believing anything is permissible as long as it benefits him. Jock was self-righteous enough to insist that everything he did, he did for the good of others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +730
    The impression I got was that although Miss Ellie initially married Jock for his money so she could keep Southfork, she grew to love him deeply after they were married. They both looked at the world in a similar way and had similar values. They were both very capable of doing what was necessary, whatever was necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1