1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dallas Character John Ross Ewing IV

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Justine, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +785
    So, one aspect that the TNT series sadly were never able to tackle was the idea of John Ross Ewing IV and how he would fit into the lives of those at Southfork.

Who would you have liked to see be the mother of John Ross' son - Pamela, Emma, Elena or a completely new character introduced to the show?

Do you think we should have been introduced to him from birth, or that maybe he was somewhere out there already from John Ross' initial playboy days (which definitely continued in the series)?

How do you think J.R. and Sue Ellen would have fit into the role of "Granddaddy and Grandma"?

2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,745
    It's a real shame JR never met a John Ross Ewing IV. A grandson by John Ross could have connected JR and Sue Ellen even more as they were now older.

I would have liked to have seen another woman be the mother to JR4. It should have been someone he married as JR disliked bastards and half-breeds. Having a son from some fling as a playboy seems like how we got James Beaumont in 1989. Not a bad idea and maybe it could have worked better but not too original.

I did like the brief exchanges in the final episodes of the original series between JR and James Beaumont's son Jimmy so I think JR would have been a splendid grandfather.

No doubt JR and Sue Ellen would have been very protective of JR4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I also would have loved to have seen a John Ross Ewing, IV as well. The mother would have been good as well. Shame the writers were not too interested in the Ewing Family.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    I don't have much to add since @Michelle Stevens said pretty much what I would have but briefly...

Someone else because I didn't care for their personalities. If it had to be one of them though, Emma, since Pam is a Branes and JR IV cannot have Barnes blood in him and Elena was just so irritating.

From birth would be better. Just like JR III. Hopefully JR IV's mother wouldn't drink alcohol while pregnant.

I think they would both be very affectionate towards their grandson!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +971
    TNT did miss an opportunity. I would have liked to have meet a JR4. Maybe hanging over our heads as to who the mother is for a future story. I like the idea of Sue Ellen and JR as grandparents. Maybe a teenager, John Ross got a girl pregnant in college thing. TNT tried all this teenage stuff between John Ross and Chris, a real teenager would have made more sense.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Justine

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Lucy 2.0 hits Southfork, except more entitled :NI:

7. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +971
    I was thinking more like Lance from FC but I get ya.

8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,689
    TNT Dallas may have stood a chance if John Ross Ewing III was treated as a respectable young man rather than a teenager still grappling with puberty blues. Dallas worked well when using the multi-generational angle. When we left the Ewing family in 1998 John Ross was 19. When TNT Dallas began in 2012 we could easily have been introduced to John Ross Ewing IV, otherwise known as "Jock." If we take the time frame into consideration "Jock" could fall into the age bracket of 12-14 years old. A perfect age for brat behaviour.

Watching a relationship between a grandfather, grandmother, son and grandson would have been interesting. TNT Dallas however started on the wrong foot. A pubescent John Ross carrying on like a pork chop. A family (Ramos) which no one cared for or about. Why did the creators of the continuation not feel what the rest of us cared about...

The Ewing family. ​

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    On the other hand, wasn't JR quite late in development? He was running around on Swellin' and had his first (known) kid in his 40s. It's not exactly unbelievable for John Ross not being able settle down in a relationship (and maybe even a bit wary of them) due to his parents messy relationship. As kids we might look up to our parents for what we want to achieve... and what we don't. JR being a permanent cheater, Swellin' going after his swimming teacher (someone he trusted and liked!) and her of course being drunk, JR double-crossing and stabbing everyone in the back, endless step-mommas etc etc. would've put a lot of... let's say mental issues in anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,689
    I saw early JR as a ruthless businessman, determined to be the man Jock wished him to be...running Ewing Oil and turning it into the richest independent oil company in Texas. JR didn't care for scruples. He would bed women at whim. I never however saw JR as coming late to the party. To me tone is everything. JR came across as a man's man. John Ross came across as a man's boy.

When Dallas began in 1978 JR was 39. When TNT Dallas began in 2012 John Ross was 33. The way the characters were portrayed was different. But clearly that's what the writers were going for in their respective era's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +971
    HS teenager with JR as his grandpa. The kid would be a pimp. Lol.

12. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +971
    I agree it was reasonable but not a good story. I would have him with John Ross IV’s mother as in happily married. And John Ross’s overall behavior was more immature than anything we saw from JR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,612
    Perhaps - you can have him go either way - wanting to establish a good family for his kid since he never got one or not being able to grow up since he's so screwed up.

Or perhaps a mixture; wanting to give a stable home for John Ross Ewing IV but being eternally unable to because he just doesn't know how.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Justine

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +785
    I think it would have been fun to see John Ross on the Cliff Barnes end of the ‘Paternity Suit’ with his own son.

With his playboy ways, it wouldn’t have been entirely unlikely that he’d bed a married woman - say someone married into another prominent Texas family (Ryland-esque) - and it would have been fun to see J.R. and John Ross determined to bring John Ross IV home to Southfork.

Then you’d have the whole drama of how to co-parent because J.R. would definitely want the heir to be on Southfork and probably John Ross married to the mother of his child.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 5:09 PM
  15. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,689
    Grand parents treat their grandchildren differently. I see it in my own father. His demeanor changes whenever "Poppy" is said. Having a 12-14 year old John Ross Ewing IV on Southfork and watching how JR would interact with him would have been interesting. The reactions from John Ross witnessing how his father treats his son could have generated tension/drama...depending on what the writer wished to create.

• Agree Agree x 2