Dallas Couples JR & Sue Ellen - Dallas Dynamic Duo: Swoonalicious Pictures and more

Discussion in 'The Dallas Art Gallery' started by Sarah, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Since this is a Sue Ellen and JR thread, it seems a bit odd to me to be giving my response to Karin's general question here. I apologize ahead of time to those of you who think that the discussion belongs elsewhere! :embarrass:

My first episode was "Digger's Daughter" way back when! I loved Bobby and Pam's drive towards Dallas and their arrival at Southfork. I loved watching them being newly weds and making out all the time! :)

Ray and Lucy in the barn was funny! Even more so later on, when I was able to put all the "pieces" together! :lolo:

My first impression of Miss Ellie wasn't very good (sorry). She didn't welcome her favorite son's new wife in a way that was appropriate (even though Pam was Digger's daughter). IMO, the Miss Ellie that we saw in this episode was quite different that the Miss Ellie we saw in the other pilot episodes and all the other episodes that followed! Anyway, I grew to LOVE and appreciate Miss Ellie! Dallas was never the same when she wasn't around! And it was all Barbara's doing, I think! :kiss:

Miss Ellie and Jock's marriage was rock-solid, and I came to appreciate their relationship a whole lot! However, in "Digger's Daughter", I somehow got the feeling that it was Jock who was "calling the shots", and Miss Ellie looked to him for "approval". Thank goodness, my first impression of their marriage quickly changed, because Miss Ellie was in many ways the one who had "the pants on" in their relationship! She really knew how to put Jock in his "place" - almost without saying anything at all! :D

JR and Sue Ellen didn't interest me much at first in "Digger's Daughter"! Their relationship seemed completely loveless, and Sue Ellen came across as a "desperate housewife", whose only purpose was to look good and be JR's wife. She seemed so snobby to me in "Digger's Daughter"! Often, Sue Ellen was downright rude, and she didn't come across as someone that I would want for a friend! (My first impression changed later on, though!). Even though Sue Ellen enjoyed the "status" that came with being Mrs. JR Ewing, it didn't take me long to notice how unhappy she really was underneath the surface. Sue Ellen was so jealous of Pam and treated her like crap! I loved when Jock advised his eldest son to "go see his wife" (after they'd listened to all the giggling coming from the newly weds' bedroom). :giggle:

I loved Lucy from the very beginning! She was a sweet yet rebellious teenager who was looking for love in all the wrong places! I felt bad for her not having her parents around most of her childhood! Also, Lucy was feisty and spunky and very enjoyable to watch. Not your all typical American girl, that's for sure! ;)

The character of Ray took me a bit to figure out! I didn't like his relationship with Lucy ... he should have put his foot down, even if she was gorgeous and willing! If I put that aside, Ray was likeable and handsome! Ray grew on me episode by episode! He loved cattle and horses and was a great foreman of Southfork! :)

Anyway, this was my first impression of Dallas! :spinning:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    But Gary is Ellie's favorite not Bobby :)

I love your post above Miss S :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    What episode are these taken from? I have no recollection of that scene!! Please help?:(

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    It's after Sue Ellen saves JR from Nicholas Pearces father. She goes to SF to see John Ross when JR arrives home and thanks her. He invites her to dinner and Cally is watching from the balcony.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    I found it! It season 12 episode 14! Thank you Sarah!!:thank:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    Okay I figured I'd bump up this thread with some screencaps. Has anyone else also thought about how many of JR & Sue Ellen's early scenes took place in the nursery or with John Ross present?

It seems to me like John Ross played an important part in the storyline from the moment he was born. :)

Anyway here's some baby John Ross caps:

uvs170318-016.jpg
    First time the family were together.

uvs170318-017.jpg
    When neither of the parents wanted to pick up the baby.

uvs170318-021.jpg
    In the middle of the custody fight with Cliff.

I've captured some more but again photobucket is so slow that I'm giving up on it for tonight. :(

Thank you Ms Southworth, I loved how detailed your post about this topic was. I wish more people would have responded to this question. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  7. i love jr ewing

i love jr ewing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Great pictures.

8. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    Love the pictures!!!!:hat:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Thanks for the wonderful photos of John Ross as a young child! :)

I remember feeling so sorry for John Ross, because neither of his parents spent any time with him! He was lucky to have Pam and Miss Ellie close by! Otherwise, one can only guess what kind of mental issues he would have had to deal with later on, including the (dis)abily to bond! :(

:yw:

I do believe that more people would have responded, if your question had been posted in a separate thread! ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    Pam does nothing for me. What was the question?? If it was about Sue Ellen I will answer and I was 2 when Dallas started with my earliest memory being aged 4 :)

11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    This was the question Sarah. :)

Which is the first episode you can remember watching and what's your first impression of the show?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    Excellent. My first memory is seeing Sue Ellen in the fire and being very upset :( Even then I loved her so much. Pam didn't interest me - all that stuff about her being perfect and all, ugh - where's the fun in that? Newsflash but not all of us think Pam is the prettiest and not all of us are besotted by her. Sue Ellen is ten times more interesting, sexy and fun. There does seem to be a need to prove Pam's popularity but it isn't necessary with Sue Ellen. She speaks for herself. My first impression was I love this programme. I loved it then and have loved it ever since and always will. :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    I can see why the fire scene would upset you Sarah. I remember some of the show's more dramatic moments upset me too when I first watched the show. For instance I thought all the murders of Clayton's friends were very scary and I was so angry when they killed off April. I loved April and didn't want anything bad to happen to her so her kidnapping plot had me sitting on tenterhooks while my parents were sure that Bobby would rescue her in the end. I never was. :(

I think I'll always love Dallas too. It's been my favorite show since my childhood. :kiss:

Also I thought I'd give it a new try to post the rest of the John Ross caps:

uvs170318-025.jpg
    Precious grandchild.

uvs170318-026.jpg
    After Sue Ellen has gotten past her post natal depression.

uvs170318-027.jpg

uvs170318-028.jpg

uvs170318-029.jpg

uvs170318-031.jpg
    The family moment is interrupted when Sue Ellen announces that she wants a divorce.

uvs170318-030.jpg
    JR doesn't take the news well. He reminds her that he won't let her leave with his son, which she hadn't thought about.

uvs170318-032.jpg

Then finally I also want to mention that I've updated my music video thread/youtube with a brand new JR/SE video this weekend. So I hope you'll check it out if you haven't already. :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Beautiful screen caps! :spinning:

I remember rooting for Sue Ellen to find her inner strength and fight JR for custody of John Ross! :girl:
    I didn't want to believe that any court would grant custody to JR (in spite of his wealth). :( I felt quite certain that Sue Ellen could win (in spite of her "flaws")! :dance:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Karin! :best:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,263
    Medals:
    See she is flawed, but that is what makes her so interesting and beautiful. And sexy. I don't find perfection sexy - her flaws are part of what make her so special.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Doesn't everyone on Dallas have flaws? :giggle:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +565
    :kiss:
    Karin Schill!! Those pictures are perfection!!!!!:kiss: I adore Season 3, even though I hated JR's affair with Kristin!:frustration:
    :bowing:best:

• Like Like x 1
  18. i love jr ewing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Great pictures.

19. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,732
    Medals:
    Today it's Dallas birthday so I figured it would be a good idea to post some really early caps from the first JR/SE scene in episode three:

uvs170402-007.JPG
    Sue Ellen has bought new lingerie. JR comes home from work

uvs170402-010.JPG

He seems to like what she's bought. But then he tells her it's not appropriate for his wife.

uvs170402-022.JPG
    He goes to hit the showers and she calls him back.

uvs170402-028.JPG
    He pushes her aside and heads for the shower. But she calls him back again.

uvs170402-030.JPG
    "We are married," she reminds him.

uvs170402-031.JPG
    He tells her the lingerie she bought was cheap.

uvs170402-036.JPG
    They argue.

uvs170402-039.JPG
    "But JR we never make love anymore!" She pleads with him.

uvs170402-040.JPG
    "That tears it." He still brushes her off and leaves her crying.

uvs170402-042.JPG

I don't know why but somehow the complex relationship between JR & Sue Ellen and that wonderful chemistry that Larry & Linda had is all there to see in this scene. Somehow they can convey so much with just their facial expressions and there are so many layers already in their characters. It shifts from something that looks almost tender and loving to rejection and anger.

There is something sexy about this scene and the fact that JR has a wife at home that throws himself at him and yet he is not interested in her speaks volumes about his character. He is patronizing, insulting and tries to control the situation. She is vulnerable, insecure and desperate for his love.

The scene is also a nice contrast if you compare them to Bobby and Pam who are the happily newlywed couple at this time period. JR and Sue Ellen has already been married for I guess 8 years or something like that when the show begins and it's obvious that their marriage is already in trouble. Sue Ellen is not happy. She is more or less trapped in what might appear as a loveless marriage and yet there is something there. In some of the caps you can see that JR looks at her with interest, almost like he is conflicted between what he wants in a woman and what he thinks is appropriate behavior for a wife.

So well that's my interpretation of this scene. What is yours?

• Like Like x 2
  20. i love jr ewing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Great pictures.