Dallas Couples JR & Sue Ellen - Dallas Dynamic Duo: Swoonalicious Pictures and more

Discussion in 'The Dallas Art Gallery' started by Sarah, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    I'm sorry @Sarah but I didn't bring that tramp up and what I said was that I didn't think Mandy and Sue Ellen looked much alike. I don't see how you can disagree with that. :confuse:

My comment to @Rove about being right was about how it was enough of Mandy already in this thread and that you wouldn't be happy about her being discussed.

Oh well have some theraphy. Here's some nice JR/SE photos for you! :pals:

87d 1.png

tumblr_mvddhbs9qs1qbsg6ao1_500.png

tumblr_msv3afdWgm1rjzta0o1_1280.jpg

5b.jpg
    All forgiven?

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    I tried to make my thread light hearted and funny. I’m your friend.

I can’t do anything right today. I probably shouldn’t have come back :confused: stupid.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    No I am glad that you are back @Sarah . I've missed you around here. Of course we are friends and I do get your sense of humour. ;)

tumblr_mrdf6ntLj51r6js0mo2_250.png

tumblr_mehp8sVT0F1rj78r9o3_500.jpg

dallas-honorjr-gallery-09-925x591.jpg
    Oh and here's a quote to cheer you up. "Don't worry, Be happy, feel good!" :D

4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,046
    Careful JR. That Koala, unlike your femme fatale conspirators on Dallas has real claws...which can do untold damage. I suspect that photo was taken in 1985 when Larry and Linda were special guests at the Logie Awards.

TV Week Cover.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    That's cool. I never knew which year that photo was from before. I bet you are right that it was taken during their trip to Australia.

So who is the Australian actress who won a Logie Award?
    I mean the one posing with them on the cover of the TV magazine. :)

79.jpg

Anyone seen the Family Feud episode?

I have and it was worth a watch. I love the chemistry between the cast. They have such a fun and friendly vibe to them. It was hilarious how they dropped Larry in that clip when they introduced themselves at the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if that was Larry's idea since he knew how to stand out from the crowd and make an impression. :)

6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,046
    That would be Rowena Wallace. She played a character named Patricia on an Australian series called Sons & Daughters. She became known to all as Pat the Rat. One of the most despised characters ever to grace the small screen. Unfortunately Rowena left the series (I think) prior to winning this award because she was mentally exhausted. Patricia really understood how to toy and manipulate people's emotions. And Pat the Rat wasn't some 1 dimensional character. There were so many layers to her. Such a shame we don't' see characters like her anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

To the best couple ever, whose other wedding anniversary would be tomorrow - Happy Valentines Day!!! :l9:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  8. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    I found these on my computer. I didn't make them though. My guess is that someone on this board did.

Wedding1.jpg

39.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    Larry once compared them to Hepburn and Tracey (Katharine and Spencer) :love5:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    I'd like to open up a discussion. Cos I'm just in that kinda place!

I've been watching a lot on their reconciliation after BD Calhoun. I love that period of time but the one thing that really bothers me is what The Evil One said to Sue Ellen before she left to make trashy movies in Hollywood about 'if it had of been anyone it would have been me'.

Sue Ellen later brings this up with JR and he tells her 'but it wasn't' (referring to The Tramp) and then says 'Sue Ellen I'm with you because I wanna be...it's always been you...always'.

So why did he say that to The Evil One? :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    Good idea Sarah. I love some more discussion in this thread. :gotcha:

I think that JR told Mandy that to soften the blow of their breakup. It just shows that JR is a nicer guy than we sometimes gives him credit for. :)
    At least that's my interpreation of the scenes, what is yours?

uvs190301-006.JPG

It did seem like Sue Ellen was a bit insecure about their relationship even after that though. Not that she should have been as I think his expression in this scene speaks volumes.

uvs190301-001.JPG

uvs190301-002.JPG

uvs190301-005.JPG

Also I loved it at the end when he told he that he was not afraid of ghosts! :kiss:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,046
    It's that kind of vibe I have whenever I watch Dallas, especially those early seasons. It's also not a vibe I get with Jock/Miss Ellie, Bobby/Pam or Ray/Donna. Those couples had something different but with JR and Sue Ellen there was something extra special about their relationship. Credit must go to the writers and producers for seeing that spark between Larry and Linda and decided to peer into their lives. JR and Sue Ellen's relationship had moments of violence, depression, love...all of it.

They were great together but bad for each other.

Just awesome.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    So nice to have your input @Rove - I agree. Pam and Bobby were cute, Miss Ellie and Jock strong but JR and Sue Ellen had ALL the elements plus their own ingredient - magic. They were ten times more passionate than Pam and Bobby and I’m sorry but I don’t feel that Pam has ANY sex appeal. Sue Ellen is sexy. JR is sexy. Hot. Phew.....

@Karin Schill - when Sue Ellen hurts I hurt and that really bothers me. I guess I feel it was JR not so much being nice but yes softening the blow? He would never have stayed with The Evil One. I guess he wanted to leave her with something other than herpes...

I love her but Sue Ellen’s naivety meant I could slap her (I can, no one else is allowed). She should have realised sooner what The Evil Ones plan was. But when she did, look out Trampoid!!!

At the end of the day, from beginning to end Sue Ellen was The One.

What do you think @Rove ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,046
    I've always considered Jock and Miss Ellie had that deep-seated connection, being married for that long cements that feeling. They both remind me of my own sets of grandparents, each obtaining that magic 50 years of marriage prior to my grandfathers passing away first. Unlike Miss Ellie finding love again with Clayton - and I liked him by the way - neither of my grandmothers sought another relationship. By this stage they felt their job was done and were surrounded by an extensive family. They cherished their time with grandchildren, great grandchildren and great great grandchildren. One of my grandmothers was quite excited to appear in the local media having become a great great grandmother.

With Bobby and Pam I felt their connection. But as everyone knows they were the Romeo and Juliet of this story. They deeply loved each other and when I re-watch Dallas I'm surprised how comfortable Patrick and Victoria are with each other in most of their scenes. They are very touchy/feely. People today are talking about the chemistry on display during the recent Oscars performance of Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. Yeah right...not. What Bobby and Pam had was genuine.

Ray and Donna had something different again. On paper this relationship shouldn't work. The cowboy and a woman with deep thoughts on politics. But it did.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    @Sarah I know that you hurt when Sue Ellen hurts. I guess that's testimony to that the characters on Dallas are multilayered and the actors are doing a great job of making them come to life. They seem realistic. They become like real people who we can relate to or care about. :clap:

I agree with a lot of what you said @Rove. I think there's something very special about a couple who has shared more than 50 years together. My maternal grandparents were married 65 years and they did have a remarkable connection. My paternal grandparents were together for about 40 years before my grandpa died early, leaving my grandma a widow at 56, yet she never remarried. He was simply the love of her life.

I think in some ways it is unrealistic for a woman like Miss Ellie to remarry, yet I can see why she did considering that it's a soap opera it made for good drama to bring in a new partner for her and in some ways I liked Clayton more than Jock, even though their connection was never really the same.

Anyway if it's one thing I love about Dallas it's the fact that they have many great couples to root for that are all different from each other. :kiss:

uvs190303-001.JPG
    There's Jock and Miss Ellie who had that special connection that comes from spending many years together and watching their family grow and expand. They have shared a life with all the trials and tribulations. He has been to war, she has raised the kids. They have worked the ranch and he has built a business empire. She has stood by him through all the years and even forgiven his infidelity during the war. Their love is strong and it's solid.

uvs190303-002.JPG
    Then at the beginning Bobby and Pam were the young newlyweds that were so much in love and yet they constantly had to fight for their love. The threat against them was always from the outside. Their families who didn't want them to be together. Over time they became more and more tortured and more and more star-crossed lovers.

uvs190303-003.JPG
    JR & Sue Ellen had something else, it was dysfunctional, it was complicated and fascinating. There was this love-hate relationship. It was passionate. It was the can't live with or without each other. No matter what happened they always gravitated back to each other. Having John Ross also bonded them stronger together and it seemed like they became happier after having produced an heir to the Ewing empire. There were moments of great happiness but also of great dispair. It was like a constant roller coaster with highs and lows. It was like the threat against their relationship came from the inside, it was their own destructive behavior pattern that caused them to break up. Not other people interferring.

uvs190303-004.JPG
    Donna & Ray were a classic case of opposite attracts and yet if you scratch underneath the surface they have more in common than you think. Both of them lost their parents at a young age. They are both committed to making their relationship work, but Ray is more conflicted than Donna and sometimes he set out on a self-destructive path. Donna has the patient to stand by him and wait for him to get better. She can sense when he is hurting. She makes Ray feel more secure about himself and happy. But at the same time he is always in her shadow as she is a born leader and someone who is used to succeed in whatever she does.

At least that's my interpreation of the different couples. What is yours?

Also I agree that the Dallas cast had more chemistry than a lot of couples who are celebrated today for their remarkable chemistry!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    If you look at the past history of both JR and Sue Ellen from they were very young, they were both raised by very tough parents in one way or another. JR trying to live up to Jock's expectations and Sue Ellen being moulded by Patricia. Neither of them were free for a long time to be who they actually were. And although Sue Ellen did break free from Patricia to be herself, and in some ways broke free of worrying about what JR thought, JR was never really able to release the ghost of Jock and the need he had to please him, even after Jock died and for many years afterwards. So in many ways they were alike, but Sue Ellen emerged stronger because unlike JR, she learned to deal with her ghosts.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    I cannot cope with this level of beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    If the MORON!!!! would just admit 'I made a mistake Sue Ellen!!!!' :scream:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    @Karin Schill is there anyway you could post the caps from the scene where he brings the photos to her of the Calhoun kidnap? Would really appreciate it when you have time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sarah

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Medals:
    And don't ever try to tell me he doesn't care about her. Look at the look on his face here when he wonders if Calhoun could have harmed her:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)