Just finished re-watching Dallas TNT

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by jeffewing, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,560
    Switching them around is only marginally less so, IMO, but I agree they should have made a choice and stuck with it.
    I still think the most natural and potentially most interesting conflict would be between Christopher and Lucas with Bobby torn between them. First play out the rivalry between Christopher and John Ross them have them forced to join forces against someone they would both see as an interloper. Or would Lucas divide and conquer?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    I like the idea. Given that we left the family back in 1998 Lucas was 11 years of age. Anything could have happened between then and 2012 and Lucas would have been 25 years of age when the Ewing family return to our small screens. Perhaps Lucas had returned to Southfork as a teenage tearaway. Made an attempt to understand why his father just casually gave up on him. Perhaps it got to the point where Bobby had to make a decision and sent Lucas back to Europe and Ray and Jenna.

In TNT Dallas I wanted more Ewings, not less.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    To be fair - he wasn't. He was obviously conflicted about his identity, which is what JR also was in regards to Jock on the original Dallas. They could've done a better job portraying it, but it was there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,285
    Yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I actually think Jesse could have pulled off the self absorbed, womanizing, frat boy very well. He wouldn’t have been JR but he could have been very evil in his own way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Recently someone I know who stopped midway in season 1 said they should have turned it off when they saw what had happened to the house. But that aside, they agreed when I told them Jacobs wanted Christoper as the bad guy out to prove himself and John Ross more like Bobby or more like Jock. In discussing it here’s what we came up with:

Background, before we start, between the movies (no reason to discard) and Dallas TNT:

JR merged Ewing Oil and West Star and remarried Sue Ellen. Ewing Oil becomes a public company and JR a multi billionaire with Bobby and Sue Ellen as minor share holders. They went off and traveled the world.

Bobby stayed back and ran the ranch, but as it turns out Miss Ellie only gave him the business and the land, the house she left to John Ross on her death (the mineral rights remain in question). The rest of her estate was divided evenly between her (recognized) grandchildren.

Clayton’s estate (including West Starvshares which are now Ewing Oil shares) was left to create the Ewing Farlow Foundation, overseen by Sue Ellen.

John Ross also inherited CyberByte without having to wait for JR’s death, through a court order and used it to create an investment company, Ewing Industries, which bought 1/2 of the cattle business from Bobby with the option to buy the other half when Bobby dies. John Ross and Bobby run Southfork together.

John Ross married Pamela Barnes which pissed off JR and Cliff but thrilled Bobby. Bobby and his new wife moved into the cottage on the property and John Ross and Pamela moved into the big house to raise a family.

Pamela runs Ewing Industries. She also is at odds with her father and his business, BarnesWentworth, a conglomerate of Rebecca Wentworth, one of many company’s she owned and all that is left. Cliff believes the Ewing’s are conning his daughter when the truth is she’s conning them. Though she falls in love with John Ross and gets pregnant, and he agrees to stay with her but their problems have already ended their marriage, or has it?

Christopher gets the court to agree Southfork’s mineral rights were left to Miss Ellie’s Grandchildren with everything else and were not part of the land as Bobby contested. Christopher gets Cally’s son and Besty and Bobby II to agree with him to drill. Bobby and John Ross are furious.

Scene one: Christopher and Elena drill for oil. Elena is Teresa’s niece. Bobby and John Ross confront them.

Scene two: JR and Sue Ellen move into Southfork in expectation of the birth of their first grandson.

Scene three: Christopher is in cahoots with Ryland and Cliff to form a new energy company, the BER Corporation. With Ryland Shipping, Wentworth Tool and Die and Southfork’s oil they are in business.

Scene four: Chris and JR conspire to sell Ryland Shipping, Wentworth Tool and Die and Southfork’s oil to Ewing Oil and put Chris on the board of Ewing Oil.

Scene five: Christopher and Pamela are in cahoots also to get Ewing Industries a piece of Ewing Oil by selling it HarwoodLee, a company Pamela bought. Both of these deals will give Pamela and Chris enough shares, along with blackmailed board members to take control of Ewing Oil.

Anyway - just some ideas we messed with. Of course if John Ross brings Lucas to Dallas as one of Miss Ellie’s Grandchildren they could stop the drilling on Southfork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    Are we talking about the interior of TNT Southfork? It did divide a lot of viewers. I personally didn't like - at all. Like the series the interior of Southfork was disjointed. I found myself confused. The set designers couln't help themselves and gutted the interior of Southfork and remodeled it, throwing the balance off. Why couldn't they just leave the floor plan as it was but with modern finishes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Exactly what my friend said. If they wanted a bigger kitchen, than make it look like they opened a wall to the back room, or other such changes - but make it make sense with the original. My friend called it a big bright sign that said “This is NOT Dallas.”

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JRandSueEllenForever

JRandSueEllenForever Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I never understood some of the interior changes they made from the old Dallas to the new.

Bobby’s Office was the old dining room, near as I could figure. The old dining room had a large window opposite the entrance to the dining room off the foyer. There is no such window in Bobby’s office now, plus the room seems much smaller now.

The old living room in the old Dallas seems to be the new dining room in the new Dallas. That room seeems to have shrunk in size as well, plus the large fireplace is now gone.

The entire back of the house was never seen on the original Dallas, so I always thought there wasn’t much there other than Jock’s old study. Yet in the new Dallas it becomes the largest part of the house with an open kitchen/great room and a bedroom where JR stayed.

The staircase changed dramatically. The original was much more of a spiral with the landing in a totally different spot. Plus it looks like the ceiling had to have been vaulted in the foyer, taking out a lot of space from the original upstairs. I guess that makes sense since the upstairs changed from a huge, long, wide hallway with tons of bedrooms (at least 5) to just Bobby and Anne’s tiny bedroom.

The exterior of the house would have had to have changed dramatically to accommodate all these changes, yet it miraculously remained the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Actually, from what I remember the set designer actually attempted to match the inside with the outside. The original Dallas' set never made sense in regards with the exterior.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Was a bad idea. Should have matched it to the viewers expectations.

Personally as a tourist destination, if I owned it I’d remodel the interior to the sets, at least the main front rooms on the 1st floor.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    It didn't need to because that's what we grew up with, we were none the wiser like we are today. In any case the original floor plan starting from the dining room, to the foyer (including staircase) and onto the living room appeared to fit with the ground floor of Southfork Ranch. I'll agree the upstairs must have been cramped to accommodate all those Ewings but that was the magic of television. All these years later and I'm still trying to figure out where the gym was.

If the set designer for TNT Dallas changed the interior to match the exterior of Southfork that was a bad error on their part, and it didn't need to be. But like most things TNT Dallas I was left scratching my head.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    If I remember it right they considered changing house all together as a photo of a bigger white mansion was posted here with the question how "the forkies" liked the new remodeled Southfork. Nobody liked the idea. So they went back to using the original house. But my guess is that they kept the interior from their "new" house!

Also I agree since Southfork is a tourist destination and a museum they really should remodel the downstairs to make it fit with the interior we saw on the show. It would make more sense.

14. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Thank you and it could be done without a problem. It’s not like it’s a real house that needs plumbing and bathrooms and the like. Even if they left off the den and upstairs, just walking into the house’s main rooms and it feeling like Dallas would be terrific.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    I mentioned this on another thread. I've seen the interior of Southfork on youtube videos and it looks rather ordinary. I mean, if given the opportunity to visit Southfork I'd probably walk inside just to say I walked through the same patio door as the Ewing family but I know the interior will look nothing like Lorimar Dallas. I'd prefer to walk the grounds just to soak it all in. I'd imagine many people would be disappointed with the interior and given how easy it is to see this on the internet I wonder if affects people visiting the famous ranch.

Imagine experiencing exactly what the Ewings did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Right. And it wouldn’t be all that difficult. Even high ceilings could be achieved if they didn’t worry about the up stairs. What people really want to see is the living room, entry and dinning room.

17. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    What a load of rubbish!

He's my half brother & I love him, & despite me being an insomniac he loves to read to me The Lord of the Rings at night before we go to sleep.

I always fall asleep within five minutes!! :innocent:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    Considering TNT Dallas was only 10 or 15 episodes per season I'd imagine that Bible was written on a post-it note.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,127
    I think I was wrong about the size of the bible/season of the original Dallas. I rewatched the French documentary "Faire Dallas" (1983) today and I think they said in it that the bible was actually on 60 pages/season. Still that is a lot of planning that went into it. Like 2 pages/episode.

Also I wish CC and her team could have watched that before they began working on Dallas since Katzman, Lewis and Paulsen told us what Dallas was all about and why they thought it had become successful.

Here's a few pointers:

- The characters were well defined and there were certain things they wouldn't do. They needed to stay true to themselves and there was a logic behind the way they acted.

- It was a show about a family that always sat down for dinner together even if they were at each other's throats.

- People could relate to the characters.

- The who Shot JR mystery was dragged out for four episodes.

- You do the show for the audience not for yourself. The audience need to accept the plots.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,838
    And that's why it was so fascinating to watch them doing it now. JR manipulated Bobby from the grave but that doesn't mean Bobby wasn't accountable at all.
    But he didn't frame Cliff just because he could, there was a reason.
    But they were living separately now.
    I found these new characters very relatable too, especially the Ramoses, Pamela, Bobby, Sue Ellen and John Ross.
    I don't know what you mean by that.
    Hmm, tricky. I think creators should have control over their own creations, and it's often a good thing if they enjoy creating them (a feeling I often experienced when I watched Knots Landing).
    It's not like the world was waiting for original DALLAS to be created. They just did it, and the people loved it.
    Nevertheless, if the fans of original DALLAS was their target audience then they should have anticipated that too many alterations could be off-putting. I guess it's a very difficult choice.

I think it was a great "John Ross & Christopher" DALLAS. This wasn't JR's DALLAS anymore and I don't understand why the fans find that so hard to accept.
    Next generation usually means the next generation.

• Agree Agree x 3

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)