Just finished re-watching Dallas TNT

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by jeffewing, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,445
    I tried to watch TNT Dallas with fresh eyes Willie and could easily accept THIS WAS about the next generation but the story the writers created by screwing around with Lorimar Dallas was inept. I'd personally like to know the justification behind their thinking on this. Surely the producers/writers must have had some concept this would not sit well with original fans. You don't alienate that fan base straight out of the gate. It would explain why so many viewers (U.S.A.) deserted the series after the first episode screened. Then we had the ripple effect as that same reaction was felt around the globe. You cannot deny this.

Some will argue (possibly yourself) that we got 3 seasons of Dallas. Sorry not good enough in my view. I didn't wish for Dallas to go out with a whimper again after experiencing that the first time around with Lorimar Dallas. I longed for strong story-telling., that connection I felt with Dallas up until "Swan Song." If the responsibility of a re-imagined Dallas was to fall on the shoulders of John Ross and Christopher that is fine but we cannot ignore the fact JR, Bobby, Sue Ellen, Ray, Jenna and others were just as relevant, if more so. I'd bet my house that most of those viewers that initially tuned in were itching to see those characters previously mentioned. Not that _______ Ramos family.

The writers/producers/showrunner clearly had an agenda from the get go regarding their version of Dallas. Their agenda failed, spectacularly. They and others stand behind that failure. I appreciate your defense of TNT Dallas, clearly you enjoyed it and that is to be commended. There were some elements I liked, for example; the kitchen scene between mother (Sue Ellen) and son (John Ross). It reminded me what could have been.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,984
    Well, they hadn't seen the older John Ross and Christopher yet so they couldn't remember them.
    And we know what it looks like when they don't have a plan at all. I'm thinking of certain seasons of Dynasty and Falcon Crest. It's not pretty.
    I'm not suggesting that everyone else should like it too, I merely question the validity of certain specific complaints.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,879
    Well turning Cliff into a baby killing monster without explaining why he's turned out that way was unforgiveable IMHO.

Also when fans who have loved Bobby since 1978 suddenly stops liking him that's a problem too.

True but having them all in that house, as unrealistic as it may be, was a part of the Dallas magic. I think that's why CC had JR move back in and then John Ross move back in. Because they needed to have more people living at Southfork than Bobby and Ann.

I'm sorry but as much as I tried I found it hard to relate to them. I think the one I did relate to the most was probably Elena.

Yeah changing the show so much that it alienated the original Dallas fans was a really bad move on their part. :(

I didn't mind the show focusing on the next generation. I liked most of the new characters and I think they were perfectly cast. :)

I wish they had skipped the love switch though and built up stronger love couples from season one with John Ross and PamBecca getting married instead of Chris and PamBecca. It would have made it easier to root for them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,472
    The only real issue I had and have with TNT Dallas is the blatant contradictions of established history. I had no problem with the new characters or the direction the story took.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Yeah there was never enough character scenes. The old show was very good at building character.

The writers of the old show clearly knew what they were doing. The writers on the TNT show were clearly just winging it!

The Ewing family was ill served, there were far too many extraneous characters taking the storyline off the core family. I don't think Cidre wanted to use any more characters from the old show & preferred to make up her own. She didn't get what Dallas was about, which is the Ewing family.

A shame, she just wasn't the right person to show run Dallas. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JR's Son

JR's Son Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I wonder if Killing off the Dallas Characters,

allows for fresh faces in the next Return series [​IMG]

bit like forward planning. :hat:

7. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Any showrunner who wants to cast Dolly Parton as JR's daughter & who has Daffy Duck as an Executive Story Consultant is quite obviously cuckoo not to mention quackers!

Showrunners need to be sane, talented & with drive & passion for the show they produce. Cynthia Cidre was a complete loop the looper, talentless, who drove the Dallas fans up the wall with her mess of storylines & the passion she had for drug cartels!

Let us hope if Dallas is ever to come back that somebody who is familiar with the first Lorimar produced series is chosen to helm it. Just keep Cidre away from Dallas. I hear she's interested in reviving a show called Falcon Colgate! Daft bitch, it's Falcon Crest! ;) :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,445
    This is clearly evident in Season 5 (per DVD release), the season I'm watching now. Last night I watched "Waterloo at Southfork." Miss Ellie calls a family meeting to oust JR as President of Ewing Oil. Which she fails. This episode however illustrates why Dallas was so damn good. The Ewing family did not hesitate to turn on each other when needed. By next morning JR joins Miss Ellie beside the pool for breakfast. Despite the turmoil the previous evening, peace was on the table the following day.

Miss Ellie was sensational in this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Miss Ellie was terrific in season five, however this is a direct result of the departure of Jim Davis who had passed away after the last season.

It's very clear, writing wise that Miss Ellie's character was beefed up in season five to give her more of a presence toward's JR's antics. Jock wasn't there anymore & as JR's Mother, Miss Ellie obviously felt it was her duty to keep more of an eye on JR in case he got out of hand.

The loss of Jim Davis as Jock certainly altered the dynamic of the show slightly. However the show was still very well written. The rot only set in writing wise after the departures of Susan Howard & Victoria Principal at the end of season ten, when Leonard Katzman got total authority as showrunner. :(

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 10:12 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2