Just finished re-watching Dallas TNT

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by jeffewing, Sep 11, 2017.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +770
    Medals:
    I agree - from season 1 when she saw all the people who turned out to watch then disappeared she should have had people mining sites like this one to see what they’re saying:

1) set change didn’t work - easy fix, though expensive, and how do you get the word out you fixed it to those who left

2) more about the Ewing family than these others she created - somewhat easy fix, though JR wasn’t going to be easy with Larry Hagman’s health and she wanted to get paid for her characters, maybe create Cally’s son, reveal Ryland’s dad was Jeremy Wendell, Carmen was Teresa’s sister, things like that.

3) original characters aren’t making sense - explain Cliff is mentally ill, along with Pamela and we already know Katherine is; have Bobby be more like Bobby, have him say to Chris, “I’m sorry, I just can’t accept Elena here, with you. She was engaged to your cousin. This ain’t right and you know it,” and “Your grandmother wanted me to teach you to love the land like she did, like a Southworth. That’s why she left you half. You know how much you meant to her and your Grandpa Clayton.”

Things like that for “fixes,” but over all I think her concept was wrong. 1) she didn’t understand the original show and 2) she didn’t know what current audiences wanted (more original Dallas than the later melodrama crap it became I’m guessing).

2. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +707
    You've just reminded me of another thing in the DVD special features. I'm pretty sure it was on the pilot commentary but there was an entire spiel about how they'd spent time studying the old home layout and the real interior and imagined that for the present since Ann was the new mistress of Southfork and since she and Bobby had been married a while she had taken it upon herself to redecorate and knock a few walls down. Sure, sure, that's fine I guess, but switching the entire layout of the house was beyond bizarre and sort of makes me think they didn't actually look too closely at the original show even if they said they did. Why would anyone put Bobby's office open to the foyer where the dining room used to be? Then the opposite room that used to be the living room became the kitchen/dining room (I think, do I have that right?). Or having all the bedrooms appearing to be on the ground floor by the windows but in other scenes seeming to be upstairs.

I haven't yet rewatched season 2 or 3 and the original show was by no means consistent with reality or even consistent in it's own universe at times, but I find the TNT show much harder to wrap my head around the layout than the original because it's firstly not that easy to follow the characters from one set to another (the beauty of the living room--->foyer--->dining room walk was lost) but also because it was different to what had already been established years ago and therefore what your brain expects when watching a scene taking place in whatever room at Southfork.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,002
    There is something to be said for keeping the familiar. As if TNT Dallas wasn't jarring enough with retconned characters we also had to deal with the new interior of Southfork. It was sensory overload.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. xab

xab Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I only rewatched some episodes from season 2. I liked the JR/ John Ross relationship and father and son double crossing each other in season 1. But like everybody here Rebecca was no jaw dropping twist to me, it was obvious she was Cliff's daughter ( Rebecca... seriously...?) Others plots were so déjà vu that I didn't care... Let alone the lack of Sue Ellen screen time and the endless collection of continuity inconsistencies... And on top of the cake: the good old Ramos family... A :censer: RAMOS FAMILY from nowhere!! for God's sake!!

Season 2 tasted Dallas a bit more. A Canada Dry taste I would say... Thanks to the cameos, the Pam resolution and JR's masterpiece ( Larry saved the day once again, for the last time... ) Afton was Sue Ellen's nemesis again ( like season 5, 6, 7, 8 never happened...) Valene and Sue Ellen rewrited version of a JR / Valene confrotation felt forced... I mean how many episodes did the ladies share in the original? 2? 3? Maybe 4?
    Season 3 is no Dallas. Period. And a second SF fire and a drunk Sue Ellen can't change that.
    About the characters: sorry but Bobby's always been a jerk... Ageing just does not help...
    As for this Cliff B. straight from Arkham asylum... Well... Between 1991 and 2012 there's a big plot hole... A lot can happen within 21 years... Look how many things occured between 1978 and 1991... Sue Ellen changed from A to Z during the original run... And honestly so did Cliff... I just wish we had had something to fill the void...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I liked Larry Hagman's response to being asked about the new set.. He didn't regard the changes to the set as even being an issue. He said: "I don't think there was ever a time when the set stole the show."

He was a jerk at times to some people. There were some times when he got pretty high handed about his place in Ewing Oil. I loved Jock's reaction to him in the "Real power is something you take" speech. Bobby also was a very good son and brother at other times. He treated Pam like gold. In TNT he seemed to have lost a lot of his good qualities, while amplifying the aspects of the self-righteous, high handed, bully. I didn't like that. Then to really cap it off they had Bobby cave in to Elena's extortion. If they had wanted Bobby to turn into someone as aggressive and vindictive as they did, why not have him be that way to Elena too? I'd have had him tell her that her problem wasn't any of his doing; her problem was with JR. She wanted revenge on a dead man. Well, a lot of people did. Stand in line.

It just added insult to injury when after Elena extorted money and land from Bobby, Christopher decided Elena was his ideal woman and fell in love with her. What?!?! She was an extortionist and had also been cooperating with the man who killed his wife's babies! Bobby needed to give Christopher a serious reality check then but didn't.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,002
    That might be but the interior layout of Lorimar Southfork created the best drama. Whether the characters were drifting from the living room, through to the foyer, ascending/descending the infamous staircase or onto the dining room, this was a perfect blend of used space. This of course was all founded on 4800 Park Lane, Dallas.

Dallas.jpg
    My only wish was the TNT mob stuck with this layout with an updated look reflecting the Ewing millions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +707
    I actually think as far as the foyer and staircase goes they did reasonably well, but the flow was ruined by the switching around of rooms. I just quickly pulled these pics off the internet so I'm sure there are better ones, but now I'm even more confused about whether Bobby's office is opposite the new living room because it looks to be a door to the outside here in the pilot but surely that's not the front door as the front door would be to the right of the picture, at the foot of the stairs. I think I've confused myself as much as the pictures confuse me lol

There's an informative article on UD about the set, it says a lot of what was said in the commentary about the changes etc. http://www.ultimatedallas.com/dallasnews/2012/04/19/forkies-tnt-dallas-set-visit/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,002
    The image showing the open fire looks so sterile...as if no one lives there. It reminds of exhibition homes. And please don't remind me of that horrid paint by numbers orchestrating as modern art of Jock and Miss Ellie. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +770
    Medals:
    I think if they had just put the dinning room where it was originally and put back the living room they could have gone with a more open back room. Though the fire place should have been in middle of two glass doors to fit the outside. It would have felt more like home to me. And while the set isn’t the most important thing it does establish the feeling of being home. There also needed to be a home office of some sort, just no where it was so I guess one could say Bobby replaced the dinning room with his study and they no longer used a formal dinning room or place the study somewhere else. I was also ok with JR’s down stairs bedroom. Another problem is Bobby becomes more a hypocrite in his call to keep things the same at Southfork (i.e. no drilling and John Ross wanting a grand addition) while he totally changed what ever he wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I don't know where you got that picture. Is that a picture of the actual ranch in Texas as it appears now? I never saw it look that way in Dallas.

I liked the way their wealth was understated, especially in the early seasons. They were family that didn't feel the need to show off how rich they were, and for Jock and Ellie, who had started off in life poor with strong blue collar work ethic values it fit perfectly. I liked the look of Southfork and especially the overall look of the show in the first full season. It was all filmed in Texas then and it showed. That was the most authentic look the show ever had. They went on to make the show look more glossy and more slick and it took away from the unique, rugged Texan look they used to have.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 6:08 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,002
    This is 4800 Park Lane, Dallas as it stands today after major renovations in 2003. The home was originally used to film the interior shots for the mini series and Dallas: War of the Ewings.

• Informative Informative x 2