Just for the record, I am usually not bitchy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,724
    Medals:
    I realize that I must come off as a major bitch these days, supporting the metoo campaign and feminism the way I do. So I wanna take this opportunity to say that I am usually not bitchy. I just get bitchy and frustrated that equality is taking forever to achieve. I am impatient, and I want things to happen fast. And when there is a problem, one that even I have experienced, I want to dig in and fix it. Preferably my way, as I am stubborn too. I get that from my parents; Mr and Ms Stubborn. Not that they are stubborn about the same things that I am stubborn about. They are more selfish-stubborn. Yet, I love them dearly. :D

PS: I am also a very honest person, as in I say what I think. A quality often ascribed to "bitches". I grew up lying my butt off to please people and to make me part of the gang. I eventually got so depressed that I promised myself to be me, not pretend-me. Therefore, I am open and honest with my opinions -- which of course has it's fair share of negative consequences as well.

Me and a collaegue who feels the same way joked that we sometimes wish we were slightly dumb bimbos, as life would probably be easier, living in a rose-colored world.

So yes, I am very aware that I am certainly not the most popular SC member and never will be. And that my popularity rating has probably sunk below 0 now. I think that's a bit sad (no one likes to be unpopular), but at least I won't get depressed for pretending to be someone I'm not.

And normally, I am an easy-going person who laughs a whole lot, sings and dances along to music in the living room when no one is watching and have great fun.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. Jean-Crème De La Crème

Jean-Crème De La Crème Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I love you, bitchy or not![​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    Late third wave has nothing to do with equality. The movement is now about different, more disingenuous things than it once was.

4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,724
    Medals:
    No one agrees on every single thing. But gender studies tells us all what patterns there are in society. Good or bad patterns. And by making the patterns visible and debating them both teaches us about how patterns form us and provides us with tools on how to improve patterns that aren't working. And since we have inequality in every country on the planet (a fact that cannot be denied), the question is: how do we improve things? The only way of improving things is by changing patterns and attitudes.
    But then there are people who (like climate change deniers) refuses to believe that we have inequality - and those who feel that a bit of inequality isn't too bad, and nothing to bother about. There are also some feminists who feel that we have to do everything, and those feminists who feel that we should at least do some things.

I feel that Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones said it best:

"I got asked in one of my first interviews: 'Is Arya a feminist?' I didn’t even know what a feminist was. And then someone explained it to me. And I remember thinking, 'Isn’t that just like everyone?' And then I realized everyone is not a feminist, unfortunately. But I also feel like we should stop calling feminists 'feminists' and just start calling people who aren’t feminist 'sexist' — and then everyone else is just a human. You are either a normal person or a sexist."

Kinda like you are either a normal person or you're a racist (when one feels that one "race" is a little bit better than another).

But hey, at least in the western countries, we are on the way! Gender equality is even on the UN's Sustainable Developement Goals. We'll get there sooner or later. It's the other countries I worry about more - countries where women aren't worth shit other than baby-making machines. :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    Nobody takes "gender studies" seriously except those who matriculate them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I think we're all guilty of that as we step through the minefield that is school. It's a survival instant, safety in numbers. I still recall leaving Primary School and attending High School and sticking with the same bunch of friends I grew up with. Thankfully I had an elder brother just a few years older attending the same High School and he explained how the quadrangle was separated by what suburb you lived in, as the high school was sourcing kids mainly from 4 suburbs. It was interesting to navigate this huge expanse as sometimes fights would break out between rival gangs. Not with me. I began crossing boundaries. How? I was damn good at hand-ball and no sooner had I arrived for lunch break I'd have opposing gangs asking to join them for a game.

Something else I noticed. As this was a co-ed High School often when two guys blokes would get into a fist fight the very next day they were the best of mates again. The girls were different. It was physiological warfare that would drag on for months with name calling, spreading rumors etc. I mean this was nasty stuff. I never understood it.

As for feminism? Is it a collective word that women use when attending protest marches fighting for equality or something they adhere to during their day-to-day existence? Can you proclaim yourself a feminist if you don't know how to change a Tyre on a car?

• Agree Agree x 1