1. Time for parties and celebration

People dancing all night long

Time for presents and exchanging kisses

Time for singing Christmas songs

Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O’Kalikimaka, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    Oh rats. Well, we can be sure it will turn up on there again eventually.

Also, I meant to add--throw in a dash of Last Think On My Mind, with them riding around in that car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    Oh, wow! September Sun is Paradise Lost, the sequel. Actually it's like Summer of Love and Paradise Lost and September Sun are a trilogy. I love it.

The Happy remix is awesome and the I Will Love Again remix is pretty great too. I'd really love full club mixes of both.

And as expected, I really love the 7th Heaven megamix. 7 minutes of happiness.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Mel O’Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Great news!! I'm looking forward to hearing the new tracks.

I'll have to wait a bit longer - I've had an email to say my download is available, but the link hasn't appeared in my Music Glue account. :(

• Like Like x 2
  4. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Merry Alexmas Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    Have you been able to access your downloads yet I got mine tonight after work and I am in love.

Beautiful Battlefield is probably my favourite of the new tracks and Dear Santa is absolutely gorgeous. September Sun is as @Jason73 says the perfect companion to Paradise Lost and Summer of Love. I can see that being a whole section of the tour. The Summer Sadness section.

The original album release was a fantastic slick streamlined pop album and I cant fault it really. However it just felt too short to me. These new tracks make it feel like a proper Steps album, like Steptacular and Buzz with added bonus tracks and B-sides.
    Very pleased with everything so far, off to listen to the new remixes now.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Yes indeed. Music Glue were very helpful. I had a response to my email within five minutes and they were live by lunchtime.

Have your physical copies arrived yet? Mine was dispatched on Wednesday but hasn't landed so far.

Mine too. It sounds very epic and the even vocals really work for this track.

It's pleasantly surprised me as I haven't been able to shake the "Bring Me A Man" association. I like the Christmassy chimes. This has to be festive double-A side with an uptempo track. Then I'll really know Steps are back.

It's gorgeous. The arrangement with those stabbing synths is very Eighties. It's reminiscent of a Bucks Fizz song.

I wasn't sure about the Dancing With A Broken Heart intro at first, but after a few re-listens I've decided it reminds me of Movin' On. Spurred on by the album's arrival I finally got round to watching the video, which I love.

Have you listened to the remixes yet? Any favourites?!

One big surprise with the downloads was how huge the file sizes were compared with the standard album. Turns out the cover is a whopping 5.7 MB. I removed it and changed it for one I found online (one with the standard, non-lightbulb Steps logo, which I prefer) and the file sizes shot down in size for each track.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    Yes I got back from having my hair cut today and they had arrived. I love them, and better still Lee and Faye signed them more than just their name. I got Love Lee, and Love from Faye, with a heart instead of the word love. I am very pleased! I also love the new album tracklist... It feels like a proper Steps album now.
    I really love the remixes of Happy and Glitter and Gold. They sound fantastic and I like the mix of I Will Love Again too. And the medley is great too.

I have decided to try and get more tickets for the second Belfast date come pay day if they are still available. I am in love with this whole era.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Yay for you. This happened with the last album, didn't it? Yours arrived a day or two before mine. Although with the amount you've spent on them you deserve preferential treatment.

Fantastic! I hope you have somewhere to display them. ;)

The G&G remix is very Nineties. The piano in the chorus reminds me so much of a specific dance track from the Eighties or Nineties. I know which one but I can't quite get the thought to formulate. It's going to drive me mad.

Wow. Hardcore Steps fandom.

I did get some info the other day about a concert in Kew Gardens next summer and feel a little tempted. I do like my outdoor picnic concerts. But I'll probably hold off and hope they come back to the same venue I saw them last time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    Also I only opened the H copy of the album. LOL, I kept the others for best. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    Yea I think I did get mine first. Well I have spent a fair penny. More than any amount I have ever spent on any artist for one campaign. I did spend a fortune going to see Celine this summer but that's different. There wasn't anything physical to show for that even though it was amazing. I just really really love Steps and they have done this all so right. It's like a dream scenario. Nobody is even doing the style of pop that I like right now except for Steps. They stayed so true to themselves and to the fans. I think Fascination management have been fantastic really. I know they have kind of fleeced us but I don't care they knew what would sell and they were right about it. At the end of the day it's business and Steps are working as pop band they need to make money from it and I am happy to support them. They don't do physical singles now, and I would have bought them all if they were there. So all these remixes, bonus tracks and signed copies hike up revenue for the band and that's fine by me. I have the money now, I didn't back when they were around the first time. I relied on pocket money and birthday/Christmas presents to get the albums and anything else Steps related.
    Still working on that. :)
    They are really euphoric mixes I think. They really do the job of elevating the song to something a but harder and make you want to go out and dance. I wonder will they make it to the gay clubs? Seeing as they aren't official singles.
    My new job has a weird payment date. It's not around the end of the month, I now get paid on the 10th of each month which I don't love. I just hope there are two tickets left by then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    I totally agree with this. Not only have they managed to stay true to themselves and their style of pop (which I think is the biggest disappointment about the Light Up the World album), but they've also managed to keep their style without sounding dated or retro or redundant. Tears On a Dancefloor is a true and logical evolution from Buzz--in spite of the fact that so many years have passed.

It has been a very carefully planned and strategized campaign from the beginning with those New Years Eve reunion teasers to the latest album release. It's night and day different from the Light Up the World campaign, which I think they mostly had to do themselves. It shows what a major difference having good representation and good advice and guidance can make.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    Speaking of Light Up The World it's that time of year again where I break out my Steps Winter playlist and the Light Up The World album. Now that we have Dear Santa I can also "fix" Light Up The World too. I can ditch a few songs and replace them with ones that make it more a Christmas album. I think I will remove When She Loved Me, One Less Bell To Answer and A House Is Not A Home and replace them with Dear Santa, Heartbeat and Merry Christmas Everybody.

12. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    My new Light Up The World now goes like this.

1. Merry Xmas Everybody
    2. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
    3. It May Be Winter Outside
    4. Dear Santa
    5. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    6. Heartbeat
    7. Light Up The World
    8. Overjoyed
    9. Please Come Home For Christmas
    10. History Is Made At Night

It's not perfect but a bit more Christmassy I think.

What is it about Heartbeat specifically that makes it sound so Christmassy? Do we associate it more with that time because that's when it was around in the charts? Is it the snow queen video? Or does it genuinely sound wintery and Christmassy?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wonder how much that plays into it. Music can be so effective at conjuring up those types of memory sensations. Heartbeat has never really struck me as Christmas-y and I wonder if that is because I wasn't a Steps fan at the time it was originally released. It does conjure up for me wintery images of Lee and H embracing on a sleigh and the gang in winter coats, whenever I listen.

Light Up the World (the single) feels very wintery and Christmas-y to me, in spite of there never being a music video and I think that is mostly because of the time of year it was released. Plus, there was the group constantly reminding us, at the time, that it was a "winter warmer." And then, of course, the album cover is super winter-y.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Well, it's 10pm on a Saturday night. Give it three hours and I guarantee some of the new mixes will be playing.

That's so true. The magic is still there.

Isn't it just!

I'd forgotten this until I read these comments, but there was a brief window when I didn't have the association of Heartbeat as being particularly Christmassy. The first time I heard it was when Step One was released in September. The weather was still quite fine and I had that initial impact of hearing it for the first time while driving with some friends on a warm, light evening. And it all fitted.

Ever since the single I think of Heartbeat as one of their most Christmassy songs and I think it's definitely the association of that December/January time when it was all over the charts. I'd say the video played a part, too, because Tragedy doesn't feel quite as Christmassy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Is anyone chart watching?

Looks like the DE is #9 on Amazon and #14 on iTunes. Not bad really.

Steps albums have usually charted well, so I won't be surprised if it ends up higher. Especially if they're counting sales of multiple copies. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,460
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Steps performed on Strictly Come Dancing last night.

I'm not sure if its a show you watch but I can't find anything on YT apart from this.

Maybe later in the week, the performance will be up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Thanks Ome. I didn't watch it and have been looking for a video of the performance. Seems they're quite hot at taking them down though, more's the pity. Maybe it'll show up soon on the official SCD channel, which I'm sure they must have.

All the buzz about Steps giving a Hallowe'en performance takes me back to 1999 when there was a live pay per view transmission of The Next Step Tour on 31st October - complete with their one-off rendition of Ghostbusters. It seemed like a big deal at the time. It kept me off the streets for that evening, at least.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    The Strictly Results show is on the iPlayer now and Steps nailed it! Amazing performance, totally live vocal and great routine. Amazing. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Agreed. I just watched it and they're on good form. About the only thing that would have improved it was if H had put his chest away. But you can't have it all, I suppose.

Anyway - looks like you're in for a great show, Alexis.

20. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,460
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    They are also back in the Official Charts with mid-week sales taking them to number 6.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 2)