1. Time for parties and celebration

People dancing all night long

Time for presents and exchanging kisses

Time for singing Christmas songs

Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O’Kalikimaka, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Mel O’Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Great.

Are they likely to be in an even higher position after they've had a full week's worth, I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,461
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Ah well...

Often artists with a dedicated fanbase do well in the first days of a release and they drop down after a full week. I've seen most 80s bands appear in the mid-week chart pretty high, and then lose a few places. It's not just 80s, The Killers have a strong fan-base which has taken every one of their albums (as well as two solo albums from Brandon Flowers) to the number one spot and the following week they start a downward spiral.

Because I'm more about the 80s bands, I always wish the mid-week chart would be recorded as the main chart, but alas it's just a pipe dream.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Ah - so probably (as Brucie would say) lower than a six then.

Whatever it turns out to be, they've obviously done fairly well out of repackaging an existing album.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,461
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    It's a great achievement and who knows, last night's Strictly may help to keep them close to that position.

They are up against some great albums too.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart-update/

According to Wiki this album has sold 80,000 copies, that's 60,000 more than the LUTW album

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I was thinking the same thing. It's probably as high profile an appearance as they've made in recent years.

And Alexis is responsible for almost half of those sales. :lol:

Wow. That really puts it into perspective. I can believe it though. Nobody seemed to notice LUTW.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,461
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005

I remember when The Killers released their greatest hits a few years back. It went in at number 9 and then dropped out of the top 30 in the following three weeks. Then they appeared on The X Factor Final and their album shot up to number 6, that was higher than the original placing.

It makes me yearn for Top of the Pops to return, just think how differently things could go if we had that back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    There's a huge audience out there, and these Saturday night shows seem tailor made for it. But yes - TOTP would be great. It's strange to think that there's no longer really one show that acts as a showcase for chart music. CD:UK premiered so many great Steps routines - now it takes some work to find out where it's going to happen.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,461
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    They're certainly making the rounds this week.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Thanks for this. I was sure I'd read they were on some daytime show this week but couldn't find out any more about it.

Great to see the full routine and FINALLY they have a routine for the verse. It's a naff one, but that's part of the fun.

Lisa gives it her all, doesn't she? She's really on fire in the live performances. I thought the same with the Strictly SOTD performance. I love how much energy she brings to it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Merry Alexmas Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    So the album is number 8 now and is set to surpass 100, 000 sales and go gold. That's an amazing result I think. Now if only they would do a little limited edition boxset of the singles on CD then I could die and finally reach my limit for Steps purchases this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Yes please. I'd be happy to pay good money to own a physical Steps single in all its uncompressed glory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Wow. Is this just for Crying At The Disco or is that combined with vanilla Tears sales?

13. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    Combined sales. The original had reached about 80,000 I think. Reissues don't generally sell anywhere as well so it's actually quite brilliant.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    So Steps are doing another signed bundle affair. This time for a DVD from the Wembley date, multiple live CDs from various dates and a photo book. All signed with a name certificate. It's £75 and like £8.90 shipping. I considered it but I just don't need that. I wont listen to live CDs and I only really want the tour DVD. I hope it gets a general release on its own.

I couldn't justify spending £80 on that. I decided to get more tickets instead. So now I am seeing them tonight and on Tuesday night. So excited! I think the tickets I managed to score for Tuesday are even better than the ones I have for tonight! They must have just been released this morning as all week it was saying no tickets available.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    I'm really hoping I get to hear Happy and Glitter & Gold tonight. And of course a full version of Love's Gotta Hold On My Heart. Not a medley please. Also very excited to hear how Steve Anderson's arrangements sound. I have always been genuinely blown away by his Kylie tours.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Oh no. Just... no! The blooming cheek. And so soon after you've paid for their kids to go to university.

Amazing!! This has come round so quickly (well - maybe not for you).

Hope you'll give us a full review afterwards. I can't wait to hear all about it. Have a fantastic time, Alexis and I hope you get your song wishes. :dance:

17. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    Hope you had a great time tonight @Alexis !

The setlist just turned up on Facebook. There are some songs I'm looking forward to hearing when the live album comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jingle Jason73

Jingle Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,886
    I just watched a video of Tragedy from tonight's show and got goose bumps. I was SO good! I can't wait to hear what you thought of the whole show Alexis! I'm so jealous.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Merry Alexmas
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,801
    Well last night was genuinely one of the best pop shows I have ever been to. I am actually glad that this era was my introduction to seeing them live. I have watched The Ultimate Tour on DVD and I enjoyed it but this show was just so much more superior. Steve Anderson really worked his magic on the arrangements and it just felt epic. It was like full on Kylie Show Girl amazingness. All of the arrangements were slightly remixed/produced. They managed to cram in all the hits, except I think Here And Now and Say You'll Be Mine and Words Are Not Enough. Though I don't think any of those songs would have worked with the No More Tears On The Dancefloor concept. It was a full on disco assault.

The show opened with a the banger that is Scared Of The Dark, all gothic fog, church backdrop and then Steps in long hooded velvet capes like on Strictly. It was an epic opening. Then straight into Deeper Shade Of Blue. There were a few medleys. One was of Better Best Forgotten/Last Thing On My Mind and they did a Summer of Love section with Paradise Lost and Despacito. They even did Love U More too in a medley with You'll Be Sorry I think. It was really just hit after hit. And the staging was so good. Not your basic black pop show stage. It was full of huge screens and all the bells and whistles you get from a Kylie show. I am so glad they are using Steve Anderson. He's a perfect fit for them and they put on an awesome show.

They really went for it with 5,6,7,8 a song I wouldn't say I was overly fond off but the way they did it was magic. The had a full on western vibe and the big screens were all wild west it was such an embracement of it's naffness but it just worked.
    Chain Reaction blew me away, the live vocals, Claire belting out those ad-libs, the choreography with them all on hospital beds! Yes! Hospital beds, the dancers dressed as doctors and nurses. Amazing!

The girls did a bit of Enough Is Enough which lead into No More Tears On The Dancefloor and it was brilliant. I also recall elements of If You Could Read My Mind, the Stars On 54 song being used.
    Love's Gotta Hold On My Heart was there and I'm glad it made the list. So, so glad! They also did Happy and that was such a moment. Lisa really went for it! And I loved every second of it.
    A few slowies were When I Said Goodbye, which I think the group have really seemed to embrace and attach new meaning to. I never liked it originally but now I really love it and see why they love it so much now. It has a deep meaning for them. They also did It's The Way You Make Me Feel, with a little acoustic guitar intro going into the album version. Story of a Heart too and if I remember correctly that was the album version into the remix. Oh and Heartbeat was a moment when everyone had their phone lights on as they sang.

Tragedy was the encore of course and the wall of screens behind them formed a huge wedding cake which Faye emerged from in a full on full train wedding dress! Then the other girls appeared also in wedding dresses and the boys in suits. Even the dancers looked to be dressed in wedding guest outfits. It was iconic!
    The arena was full and the crowd were amazing. I really loved every second of it and sang for 2 hours nonstop. It was the first concert I went to where I didn't sit down at all! I don't think anyone in our section did!
    The whole production was a slick glitterball extravaganza. Nothing at all like the basic Ultimate Tour. Here the staging, the costumes, set list, the energy from them was just fantastic. Like they never went away. I am so, so glad to be doing it all over again tomorrow.

Steps just know exactly what they are about. The inclusion of the non-single fan favourites shows this.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. Mel O’Kalikimaka
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    Yay! I'm so glad to hear that, @Alexis.

I'm impressed they actually performed it as they seemed to have a bit of an aversion to performing it in concert during their heyday.

Oh wow. That's a treat. Last time they performed that was in the Step One tour, I think.

Be still my Donna Summer lovin' heart.

Fantastic.

That's nice. I don't recall them singing that one at all since they've reformed, and I can imagine grown up Steps do really good things with it.

Anyway - enjoy your second dip tomorrow night!! :yeah:

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 2)