Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Alexis
    Thinking

Alexis Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,948
    Yes I thought you'd like that. I cant remember if you are seeing them this time Mel? Are you?

The DVD is available separately from the £75 bundle. I ordered it today and it was £15 plus shipping so I got for under £20. It doesn't come out until May though. And I learned last night there is a summer tour and they are playing at Stormont in Belfast. I think ticket presale is on Wednesday and general sale Friday. I'm going to try and get tickets for that too.

2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,934
    That sounds fantastic Alexis! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I'm definitely going to order the concert DVD.

3. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    Yes indeed!!

I haven't got tickets for this one. I may go in the summer if they play an outdoor venue.

Fantastic.

How was the second concert? Were there any surprises compared with the previous night, or things you hadn't spotted the first time?

4. Alexis
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,948
    Yes, they are doing an outdoor tour this summer with I think 2 dates in Wales. I think there is a presale tomorrow and general sale Friday.
    They played Dublin last night and are back in Belfast tonight. I'm seeing them tonight for my second show. :)

5. Alexis
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,948
    Just an update as I didn't have much time after the second show as I went out after despite having to work the next day at 8am. On the Tuesday night it was also Faye's birthday which was lovely and the whole arena sang Happy Birthday to her. I loved it as she's my favourite member. I noticed a lot more the second time as the seats I had were so much better. Smack bang in the middle row 27. It was close enough to actually see them clearly. During Story Of A Heart the dancers on either side of the stage were at different times doing the routines to Deeper Shade of Blue and Better The Devil You know in full costume! While a video montage of all their hits played behind them on a massive screen.

They did the original choreography for After The Love Has Gone too! And I noticed during the Enough is Enough/No More Tears On The Dancefloor mashup that the female dancers in disco sliver lame have Crystal Carrington blonde swept bob wigs on! Fabulous!
    Tuesday night was also 20 years to the day that 5,6,7,8 came out. Which made me feel all special and gooey inside. lol

I noticed the second time around how epic One For Sorrow was in the show. The whole arena was doing the dance routine. With the arm in the air with one finger raised and then the two fingers for "too, too bad." I looked around and it looked amazing. It reminded me of some Roman salute at the Colosseum. To see everyone do it in unison made them just feel so much more special. Like everyone got it. They were a big deal. They were a great pop group. None of their contemporaries could even dream of pulling off what they did. The Spice Girls in a way but they had a much bigger international appeal and didn't end as abruptly at the peak of success. They sort of died slowly while we got mostly dreadful solo careers and a constant barrage of the Beckhams. I think what Steps have achieved of late is astonishing.

I was so on a high after the second night that I decided then and there I would get tickets for the summer show in July even though I really cant afford it. As soon as the tickets went on sale I bough two! So I'm seeing them on 8th July I think at an outdoor concert in Belfast with Blue and Aqua as support.
    It's going to be a very long slow boring rest of November and early December for Alexis. But I never dreamed this comeback could have been so good or that id be given the chance to seem again. So I'm making the most of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    What a lovely experience.

As I recall, it was the day after Faye's birthday when I queued to see them for a CD signing, so our Steps experiences are in alignment in some way.

Fantastic. It's perfect it happened that way round, so you got to see the big picture on the first concert and then get all the details the second time round.

Ooh - they've finally revisited ATLHG?! Now I'm really looking forward to the concert Blu-ray!!

I'm sure they did that just for you. ;)

Oh my. Your timing is impeccable!!

I just got butterflies and goosepimples reading that. I'm so happy your Steps concert experiences have been so magical for you.

Now that's something to look forward to. :dance: Time to dig out your copy of Aquarium (we all have it, I'm sure ;)).

7. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,886
    A Steps fanatic started a chain reaction of his very own after kicking off an impromptu after-party in a car park.

Concertgoers had just finished watching Steps at the First Direct Arena in Leeds and were trying to leave CitiPark Merrion Centre Car Park when they were told they were in for delays.

So, one man and his family decided to speed up the wait by initiating a mass dance off on the fourth floor.

A video shows crowds of fans mimicking Steps dance moves and jumping up and down while singing along to their most popular hits.

The man kicked off the impromptu gig with a hit from the Vengaboys, the support act of the evening, followed by a series of songs by the headline act.

Soon, crowds of all ages were on their feet enjoying the surprise after-party

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ome
    Relaxed

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,886

This is my favourite song by them, so I had to check it out.

And this is for @Jason73 (from about 3 minutes) if he hasn't already watched it a dozen times :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,934
    Haha! I hadn't seen that yet and naturally I loved it. Thanks!

Fantastic! I'm so jealous.

• Like Like x 2
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,454
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    Nice find, James. Even the article itself feels nostalgic and fun. Like the kind of interview they gave to Boyz in the late-Nineties.

I enjoyed the characteristics and types they gave for the group members:

Interesting that they described the return of Steps as...
    I remember them specifically aspiring to this in the Reunion series. At one point, one of them even pointed out "We need a Patience".

I wonder if this is for the benefit of Steps fans who are now in their late thirties and forties who have no idea that album signings are an old-school thing. Both of which being boxes I tick.

As ever, Lisa's lack of guile is adorable. Particularly apparent during the tongue-in-cheek discussion of Totally Scott-Lee:

It was worth reading just for Lisa's concise summing up of the split, which would have been unthinkable during their CD:UK/Steps To The Stars days:

Brilliant!!

The hint of tension, too, was a nice read:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    There was a ridiculously easy Steps question put to one of the Eggheads on tonight's show:

Q: Steps are most associated with which music genre?

a) Country
    b) Jazz
    c) Pop

He got it right.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,454
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama
    No Mood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    They did indeed. "Comeback Of The Year" is very impressive considering they never technically went away after their last comeback.

The never-ending digs at Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith and Taylor Swift made me laugh.

And every time I see that Dua Lipa logo I think it has something to do with Dallas.

15. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,454
    Heartwarming!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Alexis
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,948
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Alexis
    Thinking

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,948
    That never happened. ;)

I just got the download of the Belfast show audio from Pledge Music and it's amazing. I love hearing all the little flourishes that Steve Anderson added to the songs. He really gave them a brilliant show with those arrangements. I love all the disco nods, it's so perfect. Especially loving the "I Will Survive" strings in "Deeper Shade of Blue" and the inclusion of "If You Could Read My Mind" and "Enough Is Enough," also that new version of "Love U More" is just EVERYTHING.

18. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,934
    I'd forgotten about the live albums until you posted this. I just purchased the Belfast show too. I'm looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)