Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 15, 2016.

1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,983
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    A thoroughly enjoyable piece, James. It's fun to read about Steps in terms of their one moment of being a true phenomenon.

It could be said that the Heartbeat/Tragedy single is to Steps what Who Shot JR? is to Dallas, taking something that's already reasonably successful and catapulting it into the public eye in a way that everyone - fan or not - knows of its existence for that brief window of time. Both continued their trajectories for some time after the big event, but a large percentage of people couldn't tell you what came after any more than what came before it.

This is quite a telling comment in terms of the difference between phenomena and popularity. Tragedy would have picked Steps up a number of new fans, and they had many songs after this that charted and sold well - including "big cover hits" such as Better The Devil You Know and Chain Reaction. They were popular enough. But there are people out there who wouldn't have noticed because the phenomenal moment was over. That window of time over Christmas '98 and the beginning of '99 where everyone knew who they were really was lightning in a bottle.

This comment about Heartbeat resonated with me:

I don't think I'd considered this before, but it's really hit the nail on the head.

Wow!

• Like Like x 1
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,983
    Yeah, that's a heck of a sentence!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    I have just had an email telling me that Steps have cancelled their Belfast date at Stormont in July. Absolutely gutted at this. Apparently it's because of circumstances beyond the group or the venue's control. I guess that means low ticket sales. They have also cancelled Limerick and one more in the UK.
    And bizarrely on the same day they crushed my dreams with a cancelled show they have announced they are selling tickets for their Party at the Cinema... There is to be a tour documentary and a screening of the tour, plus a Q&A with the group after. However that's not going to happen in Belfast either and it's only at selected cinemas. So... I'm still pissed off!

I guess all I can do is sit and wait for my tour DVD to arrive. I think I could possibly forgive them. If they released a new single by the end of the summer. Along with a cracking video to accompany it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,173
    I feel your pain, Alexis!

I was due to see Tears for Fears on April 27th and again tomorrow night, both dates had Alison Moyet as the support and this combination just drove me crazy.

A week before we were due the April date they announced it wasn't going ahead. I did get some relief in that they have not cancelled but postponed until 2019 (which feels like a lifetime away) however I can't complain because I will eventually see them and Alison has confirmed she will still be the support. The partly bad news is that we can no longer attend the second date (which would have been May) because it's changed venues and is now mid-week.

We lost our money on the hotel we had booked for tomorrow night.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    That's awful, but at least as you say the shows have been only postponed. I am on another forum, a music one and some people have mentioned about loosing money on hotels and travel. I haven't thankfully as it's only a few miles from where I live. It's always gutting though when you have been excited about a show and then it's cancelled. The worst for me was in '97 or '98 when Celine cancelled her show at Belfast Botanic Gardens. I had to beg and beg for those tickets and they cost a lot! And then a few months before she cancelled. I eventually saw her... Only 20 years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,173
    I have been very lucky so far and even though TFF crushed me last week, I still get to see them at least once next year.

There was a time when we went to see The Killers (it was our first time) and he came on singing their top 3 hits and this was really weird because they always finish with "Mr Brightside". We soon found out why when Brandon stopped the music and said he could not carry on. He apologised and left the stage. I'm going to assume that the majority of fans thought it was some kind of joke or part of the act, but when their manager came on stage and confirmed they would be no more that night, the lights came on and we all left, obviously feeling sorry for ourselves. We did get it rescheduled, so it did work out in the end, but that night was just awful.

Unlike you, we only had to wait about 4 months and not 20 years.

Am I correct in thinking you've seen Steps? I read so much on here that it becomes a blur after a while. It's such a shame for both the artist and the fans if it's cancelled due to poor sales. It also worries me that when this happens the artists my think twice about doing it all again - I genuinely hope that isn't the case.

8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    I remember that night you saw The Killers, I remember chatting to you about it. Again, it was good that the show was rescheduled. I have seen Steps, but only last year. I saw them twice, I loved the show so much I went and bought tickets for the extra date the next day. I ended up with even better seats too. It was a really great tour and I can not wait to get the DVD.

I just hope that they keep going, and we get a new album by the end of the year and a tour next year again. I think honestly that announcing those summer dates right in the middle of the Tears tour was a bit much. People had already forked out to see them, to get the album, or multiples of it. Some even bought tickets for both dates right away, we had pre-ordered the DVD etc. So I think it was too soon. It's a shame as I would have loved to see them in Summer outdoors.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,173
    Damn, I'm getting on too fast, I can't remember that conversation. :lol:

Ah yes, now I remember.

I get confused because I remember your excitement with Celine as well as Steps (now you've reminded me)

I often forget that I too saw Steps, I think it was around 2001/2002 and they were part of a free concert in Bingley (West Yorkshire) they were second to Blue who headlined it. I don't remember much of the actual concert because I had been drinking all day and just sat on the banks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    If the Belfast date had have went on, then Blue would have been backing Steps, who were headlining. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,173
    Haha! I love that!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    Oh Alexis. I'm really sorry about that. I know you were looking forward to it. I'm sure you're right about low ticket sales, but the "circumstances beyond their control" explanation sounds rather mysterious, doesn't it? There's bound to be some speculation about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    I know it's wrong of me but I somehow assumed it was some how H and Claire's fault and rushed to my computer to see if there had been any announcements. Thankfully the group are still going and nobody has packed it all in yet.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    I know what you mean. Once bitten and all that.

Hopefully they're saving all the drama for their next dance routine, where it belongs.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    Scared Of The Dark wins the Pop Justice Steps Discography rate...
    http://forum.popjustice.com/threads/5-6-7-rate-the-steps-discography-rate-winner.66625/page-114

It's The Way You Make Me Feel comes in at #2 and One For Sorrow #3...

Basically members rated each song from their discography out of 10 and were allowed to give 1 song an 11. All songs were included, album tracks, singles, B-Sides, Songs from The Last Dance and Gold, and of course the new album including the bonus tracks. The only exception was songs from Light Up The World, except the title track.
    My number 11 went to....

16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    Scared Of The Dark wins the Pop Justice Steps Discography rate...
    http://forum.popjustice.com/threads/5-6-7-rate-the-steps-discography-rate-winner.66625/page-114

It's The Way You Make Me Feel comes in at #2 and One For Sorrow #3...

Basically members rated each song from their discography out of 10 and were allowed to give 1 song an 11. All songs were included, album tracks, singles, B-Sides, Songs from The Last Dance and Gold, and of course the new album including the bonus tracks. The only exception was songs from Light Up The World, except the title track.
    My number 11 went to....

Love's Got A Hold On My Heart.

Which came in at #6.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    It's a great song, so I'm happy about that.

For some reason, SOTD always feels like it belongs to one of the Eighties groups that bridged the gap between ABBA and Steps - someone like Bucks Fizz or Dollar. Parts of the chorus remind me of a particular song. I've never been able to place which, but I do know it has something to do with the pacing of the delivery: the way the first two phrases ("Don't let the darkness come and hold me. I need someone 'cause I can't be lonely tonight") each start off punchy and then stretch out the vowels in the second half of each sentence.

I'm happy that the songs that came top are all original Steps songs rather than covers.

So were the other LUTW tracks excluded completely? I'm intrigued by the reasoning behind this.

Not a bad result for you, then. In spite of my above comment about original Steps songs, I think my 11 points would have gone to Last Thing On My Mind.*

* Which I've just remembered would have been floating around the top ten exactly twenty years ago. It's really scary how quickly that's gone. I can still clearly remember the first time I heard it .

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    They were excluded as they were from what most would call a Christmas album which made it different from the other studio albums. Also the songs just weren't very Steps.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  19. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    Yes, I can understand the Christmas ones not being included. I suppose I'm a little surprised the non-Wintry LUTW tracks weren't allowed. Chain Reaction didn't appear on a studio album either (although I guess perhaps as a single that may have different rules).

Not that it's any of my business really. As long as everyone on PJ was good with it that's all that counts.

Agreed. But give me a choice between History Is Made At Night and Experienced and I know which one I'd opt for.

20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,884
    Well they also used tracks like Just Like The First Time and Why and Stop Me From Loving You. I think after we got Tears On The Dancefloor a lot of fans hate come to hate LUTW. It's a strictly Christmas only album for me now.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 6)