Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Oh yes. I completely understand that, and to say it's not my favourite Steps album is understating it. A lot of fans may hate it, but I dare say there are one of two for whom it's a favourite. With the choices and votes being so comprehensive as to include b-sides and international bonus tracks I'd have been curious to see where (if anywhere) the LUTW tracks would have appeared among them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    I think they also mentioned that part of the reason was that it just felt wrong rating a "Christmas" Album in the Spring.

3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Yes. That does make sense. It would probably have been rated even more harshly when we're still reeling from The Beast From The East.

I wonder if Summer Of Love would have done so well if it had been held during November or January.

4. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    So I had an email from Music Glue saying that as they have fulfilled their orders of the Tears On The Dance Floor Live DVD's and bundles that they are closing the store. It also informed me that my DVD will be dispatched soon. However it then goes on to say that the regular DVD will be available from other retailers too. I have since found out that yes it is available at other retailers, and it's bloody cheaper and you get more than what Music Glue has offered.

I'm really annoyed at this, I paid for my copy back in November last year and they took the money from my account back then. It was supposed to released in May, but then they pushed it back to June. I paid only £15 for the DVD, not one of the bundles, as I already have the album on multiple CD's and downloads. However now, if you get it on Amazon you can get it for less with the Wembley Live CD included.

I think they have been very misleading to fans. Fans thought they were getting something special and exclusive and thought ordering from them that it would be theirs sooner. Not the case at all. I doubt anyone will get it on release day, but those with Amazon Prime will.

Screwed over once again, and again not by the group themselves but by people working for them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,441
    That really sucks. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Sorry to hear this, Alexis.

This reminds me of a similar issue back in 2012 with Concert Live, who handled the CD release of a number of Steps concerts. Shoddy communications. Items arriving weeks after they were meant to - that kind of thing. As well as the later en masse official live release which was far cheaper and took away the exclusivity of the items we'd overpaid for.

Of course, that was par for the course then. Just part of the clunky "charm" of LUTW-era Steps. At least that could be blamed on business inexperience. It's disappointing to see that fans are still getting short-changed for investing in their live material in their Tears era where it feels like yet more cynical marketing to squeeze every last penny from fans.

7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    Earlier this morning I was looking for songs for Teen Ome, that she loved as a toddler and I remembered the Fast Food Song. I looked up the video and watched it for old times sake and then it reminded me of Steps and then it reminded me of this thread and then it reminded me of you guys.

I was curious, did any of you like this song - or have I just insulted you all....?:hide:

8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    I hated it...

I get why toddlers would love it and I see in a way the Steps connection but it's a million miles away from One For Sorrow isn't it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,991
    Of course :D

It's nothing but bonkers and yet now I listened to it, it's sending me insane in my head.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Awww. On a number of levels.

No. And yes. :door:

Seriously... I didn't recognise the title or the beginning of the song. Then I got to the chorus and it became familiar. Until I recognised it I was thinking it sounded like a Vengaboys tribute group.

As I watched I found myself wondering what would happen if FFR had stayed together and changed their tone from the first novelty record like Steps did. But probably best not to go there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    So I have just found out that there is to be a Tears On The Dancefloor Singles Collection box set. The band have been signing them and I think they are limited to 3000. I NEED TO HAVE THIS. It's been my number one wish for this era.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    I'll join you in the excitement about this one. I haven't bought any of the digital singles as (a) I need a physical product and (b) with the Steps marketing machine I was sure there'd be a physical release sooner or later to get fans to double dip. Hopefully they are CDs and not vinyl or something.

If you find out any more about how to order it I'd be really grateful if you'd let me know. I'm not on any kind of instatweetbook thingies so tend to be the last to know about this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    So my tour DVD was here when I got back from my holiday on Tuesday. I have watched it three times since then. lol.
    It's a phenomenal show, just amazingly perfect and the DVD has captured it wonderfully. I love it so much. The DVD also features a 45 minute documentary about the putting together of the tour and all the music videos from Tears.
    This album and tour has really been a triumph and I'm so glad I was there twice to see it. Having seen all of their other tour DVDs I have to say that this is the one. They look and sound fantastic the whole way through and those new arrangements of all the old songs by Steve Anderson really breathe a whole lot of new life into the Steps sound.

I'm dying to hear what you lot think of it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Really glad you're enjoying the DVD, Alexis. It'll be a lovely little reminder of your happy times at two great concerts.

The documentary seems like it will be a nice time capsule of where Steps are in 2013, and really good to have the live performance, the documentary and the music vids all in one place. I haven't bought it yet but will no doubt be picking it up at some point in the not-too-distant. I'm saving my Steps excitement for the Singles Collection at the moment!!

Hope you had a fantastic time on holiday too. :cool1

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    @Mel O'Drama @Jason73
    The Singles Collection is now available for pre-order from Music Glue. It's £29.99 with standard UK shipping. And the singles are in individual jewel cases like back in the day, all housed in a card case.

Tears On The Dancefloor: The Singles Collection - available to pre - order
    View this email in your browser
    TEARS ON THE DANCEFLOOR:
    THE SINGLES COLLECTION

SIGNED COPIES AVAILABLE
    We're SO excited to announce 'Tears On The Dancefloor: The Singles Collection' 4 CD box set released on July 27! It’s available exclusively from the Steps store and box sets are extremely limited, so make sure you don’t miss out by pre-ordering NOW!

The box set includes all the official remixes of our latest singles 'Scared Of The Dark'. 'Story Of A Heart', 'Neon Blue' and 'Dancing With A Broken Heart' PLUS some never-before released exclusive mixes of some of your favourite songs from our album.

CLICK HERE TO PRE-ORDER
    We’ve been busy signing limited edition copies whilst on our #SummerOfSteps tour. Pre-order your copy HERE and receive You Make Me Whole (Porl Young Radio Edit) and Space Between Us (Club Junkies Radio Mix) as digital downloads instantly! You also receive the FULL box set as a digital download on release day. The collection features over 3 hours of tunes..the ultimate Steps party playlist!

Full tracklist as follows..

CD1: Scared Of The Dark

1. Scared Of The Dark
    2. Scared Of The Dark (Acoustic)
    3. Scared Of The Dark (7th Heaven Club Mix)
    4. Scared Of The Dark (7th Heaven Radio Mix)
    5. Scared Of The Dark (Wideboys Dancefloor Club Mix)
    6. Scared Of The Dark (Wideboys Dancefloor Radio Mix)
    7. Scared Of The Dark (Wideboys Dancefloor Dub)
    8. Scared Of The Dark (Wideboys In The Shadows Vocal Mix)
    9. Scared of The Dark (Wideboys In The Shadows Dub)
    10. Scared Of The Dark (Wideboys Step It Up Club Mix)
    11. Scared Of The Dark (Wideboys Step It Up Radio Mix)
    12. Scared Of The Dark (Wideboys Step It Up Dub)
    13. You Make Me Whole (Porl Young Radio Edit)
    14. You Make Me Whole (Porl Young Club Mix)
    CD2: Story Of A Heart
    1. Story Of A Heart
    2. Story Of A Heart (7th Heaven Club Mix)
    3. Story of a Heart (7th Heaven Radio Mix)
    4. Story Of A Heart (Cutmore Club Mix)
    5. Story Of A Heart (Cutmore Radio Edit)
    6. Story Of A Heart (Cutmore Dub)
    7. Glitter & Gold (Rescue Rangerz Radio Mix)
    8. Glitter & Gold (Rescue Rangerz Club Mix)
    9. Firefly (Ste Ingham Radio Edit)
    10. Firefly (Ste Ingham Club Mix)
    CD3: Neon Blue
    1. Neon Blue (Radio Mix)
    2. Neon Blue (7th Heaven Club Mix)
    3. Neon Blue (7th Heaven Radio Mix)
    4. Neon Blue (Adam Turner Mix)
    5. Neon Blue (Adam Turner Radio Edit)
    6. Neon Blue (Adam Turner Dub Mix)
    7. Happy (Club Junkies Radio Edit)
    8. Happy (Club Junkies Club Mix)
    9. I Will Love Again (Porl Young Radio Edit)
    10. I Will Love Again (Porl Young Club Mix)
    CD4: Dancing With A Broken Heart
    1. Dancing With a Broken Heart
    2. Dancing With A Broken Heart (Video Mix)
    3. Dancing With A Broken Heart (7th Heaven Club Mix)
    4. Dancing With A Broken Heart (7th Heaven Radio Mix)
    5. Dancing With A Broken Heart (Nathan Jain Club Mix)
    6. Dancing With A Broken Heart (Nathan Jain Radio Edit)
    7. Dancing With A Broken Heart (Nathan Jain Dub)
    8. Space Between Us (Club Junkies Radio Mix)
    9. Space Between Us (Club Junkies Club Mix)
    10. Beautiful Battlefield (Gordon Pogoda Dance Remix)
    Thank you for your support and can’t wait to see you all at one of our remaining summer tour dates! Last few remaining tickets available HERE.

Love
    Claire, H, Faye, Lee & Lisa
    x
    Want to change how you receive these emails?
    You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    Also Amazon US has the 6 disc/photo book listed for just £26 I believe as opposed to what it was from Pledge Music which was like £80. It's a mistake on Amazon's part. Some people bought and they delivered the actual 6 disc set. I took a chance last week and also ordered it. It arrived today and yes, it's the 6 disc set. So pleased. I got it for under £30 with shipping from the US. I'd go for it before they realise what they have done.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    I must have paid for the next albums recording by now.

18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Thanks Alexis.

I actually got an email from Steps Official about this - must be from the previous Music Glue orders. Needless to say mine's ordered and I'm enjoying the two advance downloads.

The Singles Collection is exciting me. Excluding promos, the last time there was a new physical Steps single was 2001.

Steps are all about the physical product to me and I'm glad they recognise that there's still a market for that. The only digital singles I've caved on were the SOTD EP and acoustic mix, so most of the tracks will be new to me.

I've gone for this one, too. It's rectified my previous bugbear that the standard version only came in a CD/DVD combo. Having a combo that includes a Blu-ray is too good to pass up.

Yes indeed. You've probably singlehandedly put Star Lily through college. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    It's strange to support an act so completely, to buy all versions of every thing and still know that they will never have a proper number one single again. It's weird but never did I think when they broke up all those years ago that I would be in a position to buy everything of theirs I wanted, to see them live, to have new CD singles 20 years later.

I'm so glad they released the physical singles too. It just feels like proper Steps.
    I haven't checked yet but the Tears book looks like the same size as the Gold one. I hope it is the same size so they can sit nicely together.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,941
    Never Say Never Again, Alexis. ;)

But seriously, yes. I completely get what you're saying. Though even in their heyday the #1 spot seemed to elude them most of the time. Which I kind of got to like as it meant they were just that bit under the radar, even though they were everywhere and the singles were selling by the shedload.

I do love that they can still effortlessly get top 3 albums.

Completely. At the time Steps split I can't think of a group that had been successful in recapturing the same energy when they reformed. Most became nostalgia acts - your Bucks Fizz and Boney M's - with different lineups and just one or two original members. And then there's ABBA, of course.

Even if I'd dared to think about all five members deciding to perform together again, what we've been given the last couple of years would still have been beyond my wildest dreams.

Oh my. Is there a book as well?!

Someone needs to campaign for a second volume of Steps: In Private.

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)