Katherine Helmond, ‘Who’s the Boss?’ and ‘Soap’ Star, Dies at 89

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Barbara Fan, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,387
    Medals:
    Emmy-nominated actress Katherine Helmond, best known for her role on “Who’s the Boss?,” died on Feb. 23 at her Los Angeles home due to complications from Alzheimer’s disease. She was 89.

The star, whose career spanned more than five decades, played matriarch Jessica Tate on Billy Crystal’s primetime soap sitcom, aptly titled “Soap,” which ran from 1977 to 1981. She nabbed four actress Emmy nominations for the role. Helmond played another famous mom, Mona Robinson, in another ABC hit series, “Who’s the Boss?” (1984–1992). The role landed her two supporting actress Emmy noms.

I loved soap in the early 80s.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +903
    I loved her in "Soap" and "Brazil". I've seen several interviews where she's very gracious. She was game for just about anything Terry Gilliam wanted to do which is why he cast her in three of his films.

3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +4,949
    Medals:
    Love Soap!
    RIP, Katherine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,129
    Just too funny in Who's The Boss and Everybody Loves Raymond. Watching Katherine and the late Doris Roberts bounce off each other in the aforementioned series was/is brilliant. Condolences to her family and friends.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,871
    Medals:
    Oh, this is terrible. She was one of my favorites. I had assumed her disappearance from the public eye had been due to something like dementia or Alzheimer's but had not read anything definitive. She was always so upbeat and positive.

Jessica Tate is one of the best TV characters ever. I guess Jessica and Mary (and Burt) are all up in heaven, while Benson's over in the corner rolling his eyes at them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,842
    Medals:
    Loved her in Soap and will forever associate her with those scarily tight tops in Who's The Boss?

I also fondly remember her somewhat bizarre venture into alternative British comedy, playing Ruby Wax's domineering mother and bonding with Joan Greenwood in an episode of Girls On Top.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,840
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    If I had to name my favorite TV comedy actress, I´d name her. She was fabulous on "Soap" from beginning to end, despite the decline of the writing in the last season. She also was outstanding in the Terry Gilliam movies she did, but I haven´t seen her in anything else, aside from her weird role in Hitchcock´s "Family Plot". I watched the EmmyLegends interview recently and she was candid, humble and lovable all the way. You can watch it here:

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/katherine-helmond#interview-clips

Enjoy it! I hope she didn´t suffer too much in the end...We´ll always have her great work!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,840
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Here is the last appearance of Katherine as Jessica Tate on TV, not for the end of "Soap" but for a crossover she did into its spin-off "Benson"...years later!! It´s a sort of "spiritual" return of Jessica, who had been apparently shot by a Mexican guerilla squad (off-screen). Now it has a new meaning with the passing of the actress, and it closes her career very sweetly...and with heart and a big smile, as usual for such a dear artist.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,871
    Medals:
    Jessica also visited Benson in an earlier episode when she was still alive, so to speak. Later, after Soap had been cancelled so unceremoniously, the producers figured this sort of closure for Jessica's Soap plot (on the spin-off, Benson) was the best they could do. They actually had written a lot more exposition, but someone (I'm guessing the network) made them pare it down to what you see in this clip.

I have to believe that part of why they hired her for Soap was how she could make you cry, then immediately shift to making you laugh in the span of one scene.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    stay at home auntie
    Ratings:
    +629
    On no I loved her in every body loves Raymond as Debra 's mom lois:rip: