1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Ken Kercheval Has Died - Now Confirmed 21/04/19

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by garry, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    Medals:
    I would watch S1 original not WB cocked up numbering of the show

and watch Election and For love of money, he really excelled in both episodes and gave a very powerful and angry performance as Cliff - hard done to by the Ewings

Both very powerful episodes and ones before they turned Cliff into a bit of a joke

I would then watch S6 and End game where he is throwing ice ubes at the TV over Gold canyon 340 and s10 Brother can you spare a child? For a seat in the park and a shoe box of memories with BBG

How much I regret they didnt film more together

[​IMG]

he was fantastic in White Christmas and always lived in hope he would come back for a 3rd year to act in it in UK

• Like Like x 4
  2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    It's interesting that until I brought up the subject and mentioned I hated Cliff Barnes (because Ken Kercheval was so good at what he did) that I found out there were fans here who liked Cliff. Until then I'd never come across anyone who liked him, but clearly there are Dallas fans who liked Cliff. The way I look at it, the Ewings are the reason people watch Dallas. If you didn't like the Ewings family, you probably wouldn't watch for long, because the idea of watching a show which is centered around a family you don't like doesn't make any sense.

So if somebody was out to hurt this family I liked so much, then I hated that person, whether it was Cliff, Jeremy Wendell, or anyone else who wanted to hurt them. Characters like Wendell and especially Cliff were great for Dallas. They created the conflict. If the Ewings always had an easy time and never faced a threat, it wouldn't be too exciting, would it?

Cliff was the perfect opponent for the Ewing family because Cliff was driven by personal reasons for wanting to hurt the Jock, JR, and the Ewings in general. That personal vendetta Cliff had made the Barnes -Ewing feud infinitely more exciting than if he just wanted to compete with them for business reasons. If that was all it was, there is no way he would have kept coming back after the beatings he took to still wage war against the Ewings and Ewing Oil. He hated the Ewings so much that even his sister becoming part of the Ewing family didn't stop or even temper Cliff's thirst for vengeance. He really didn't care if anything he did hurt Pam's marriage to Bobby. He hoped it would! He wanted his sister out of that marriage, whether she was happy with Bobby or not It didn't matter to Cliff whether Pam was happily married to Bobby or not, or that he had a nephew who was Christopher Ewing.. None of that stopped from wanting to hurt the Ewings. He was just so single minded about his personal war against the Ewings that it made for a great feud.

Has anyone found out any more information regarding why Cliff's son told Sheree J. Wilson that Ken was alive and well? It's somewhat reminiscent of Miss Ellie's denial over Jock's death isn't it? They say art imitates life but sometimes life imitates art too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    That was a great scene where Cliff said he learned his lesson and that he just wished Pam had been there to see her brother learn his lesson.. That was season 11 though. Pam's crash wasn't until the end of season 10 so it would have had to be after season 10.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,187
    Medals:
    Now, BF, we've been all through this before. The WB did not "cock up the numbering of the show" --- both seasonal counts have existed from the very beginning, as any old CBS press release or TV GUIDE will prove.

It gets confusing, yes, and we can all use the count we prefer. But WB weren't responsible for "changing" the count with the 2004 DVD releases. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,545
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    All I have to say about this (and I did say it on Facebook) is: "That is so April..." :NI::fp:

6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,545
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I could mention quickly a handful of memorable scenes of Ken...

For instance:
    - Cliff´s first argument with Pam about her marriage to a Ewing in the Pilot
    - He leaving Sue Ellen after being threatened by J.R. (For Love or Money)
    - His promise to get her and Baby John back at the hospital (John Ewing III, Part 2)
    - His first "real" reunion with Rebecca (Full Circle)
    - His last meeting with Sue Ellen after trying suicide (Goodbye Cliff Barnes)
    And many more...He was always worth watching...until he was paired up with Da Slutty Blond, that is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +703
    Medals:
    Rest In Peace Mr. Kercheval! You will be missed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,121
    Medals:
    A tribute from Cathy Podewell also - she's right, "Dallas is a beautiful family"! :love5:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +499
    It is extremely strange that Ken's son would lie to at least one of Ken's Dallas colleagues. Sheree probably wasn't the only one. I can understand misleading the press until he had a chance to notify the whole family of Ken's passing first, but lying to colleagues who had cared about Ken seems very cruel to me. He should have been honest with them and I'm sure they would have respected his wishes to keep the news private until the family had been notified.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I wouldn’t say it was cruel and I’m sure he had his reasons. Besides, you never know how someone is grieving.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. MenaceTheDennis

MenaceTheDennis Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I had the same gut punch reaction when I read Ken died, but I was relieved when it was revealed it was a hoax. Then I found out the truth. Ugh so sad.

I started watching Dallas in 1983. Then it went into syndication in 1987 and got caught up with all the missed episodes from 1978 on. Ken was a tremendous actor and shared perfect chemistry with the cast. His scenes always were interesting and he played them to the hilt, whether drama or comedy. I think Cliff could’ve been used as a cynical observer of the Ewings and a supporter of his daughter in the TNT version. By this time the Ewing Barnes feud had been way played out and it’s a shame the character was ruined. The TNT version is best ignored imo.

Rest In Peace Ken. Thank you for the wonderful entertainment all those years. Mmm wonder if Patrick, Susan and Steve are gonna release statements?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    Medals:
    WB Cocked up, Dallas had a mini and 13 seasons and Ive got plenty of articles as proof!! Over 100 000! but not all on that topic i hasten to add!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    Medals:
    I went through my large box of Dallas cast autographs and didnt realise I had over 20 of Ken Kerchevals. He was such a lovely man who would take time to write and send cards and photos. He sent me this card in 2006. I will never post the letter he sent me about BBG, its too personal, but I always loved this card x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,187
    Medals:
    No, BF. There have always been two different counts. If you want to discuss it, and you feel it's off-topic, you can also bring it up on another thread, yes?

The S1 thru S14 count has always existed, as has miniseries thru 13 ---- and the former didn't start with WB's DVD releases.

15. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,578
    Medals:
    I was busy re-watching Dallas season 3, but I haven't seen much epsiodes for the last couple of weeks, but I'm going to re-watch a couple extra episodes of Dallas again this weekend, just to pay my tribute to Ken Kercheval. ;)

To be honest @Adamski, I don't really know which seasons Ken Kercheval was acted the best on Dallas, I do have a many favorite scenes but they all come from different seasons.:oops:;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +617
    :rip::rip::rip:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    Oh no! Now I find myself liking Cathy for publishing that post. Can I like Cathy and not Cally? :confuse:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Medals:
    Karin honestly i didn't see them ruin Cliff's Character as i didn't watch season 2 of the reboot. i didn't think the show was awful but it was airing at the same time another show was and i lost track on what was going on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,121
    Medals:
    Yes that's ok. I actually do like Cally if it helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    I can't read the Cathy Podewell tribute. The image won't open for me. :(
    I love Cally so I would love to read what she said.

I noticed that Leigh McCloskey has posted a tribute on his facebook too.

Thanks for clarifying that. It makes so much more sense now. :lol:

Also Dallas Fanzine (thanks @garry ) reposted their interview with Ken from last year:

It's great but it makes me sad to listen to it now since I think this is probably one of the last interviews ever done with Ken. :(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1