Kevin Spacey comes out

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Sarah, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,751
    Medals:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41799026

Hollywood star Kevin Spacey has made an apology after being accused of making a sexual advance toward a child actor.

Anthony Rapp, who was 14, said Spacey invited him to a party and seemed drunk when the alleged incident happened.

Spacey, who was 26, said: "I honestly do not remember the encounter... but if I did behave then as he describes I owe him the sincerest apology."

Spacey also revealed he was now living as a gay man after years of refusing to address rumours about his sexuality.

Rapp said he was sharing the story now after the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

The movie mogul has been accused by more than 50 women of a range of allegations ranging from rape to sexual harassment. Mr Weinstein has denied any claims of non-consensual sex.

The accusations have sparked a debate about inappropriate behaviour in the entertainment industry and beyond, and encouraged more people to share their experiences.

His final tweet said "everything I wanted to say about my experience is in that article, and I have no further comment about it at this time".

In his interview with BuzzFeed News, the 46-year-old Star Trek: Discovery actor said he was sitting on the edge of a bed after the party - held in Spacey's apartment in 1986 - when Oscar-winning Spacey, now 58, came into the bedroom.

"He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don't, like, squirm away initially, because I'm like, 'What's going on?' And then he lays down on top of me," Rapp said.

"He was trying to seduce me... I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually."

Rapp said he was able to go to the bathroom before he left.

At the time of the alleged incident, Rapp was winning plaudits for his role in the Broadway production of the play Precious Sons. He has since appeared in numerous other theatre, television and film productions.

Responding to the allegation, Spacey said he was "sorry for the feelings [Rapp] describes having carried with him all these years".
    End of Twitter post by @albinokid

Skip Twitter post 2 by @albinokid

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    Now every unwanted pass in Hollywood will come to the forefront.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Medals:
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,751
    Medals:
    It's happening in the industry in Ireland too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40673389

A Belfast actors' agent has been banned from running a recruitment agency for ten years after an investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour.

Mark Butler, also known as Mark McCrory, of Universal Artists Belfast, faced an industrial tribunal following allegations by a number of actresses.

He is married to actress Alison Ford, also known as Alexandra Ford.

The banning order also prevents her from running an employment agency or business with her husband's input.

Neither Mr Butler or Mrs Ford contested the tribunal order.

Stormont's Department for the Economy said the ban followed an "extensive investigation" by its Employment Agency Inspectorate into allegations of "inappropriate conduct and behaviour on the part of Mr Butler".

A statement from the department said Mr Butler has a previous conviction for indecently assaulting a young actress in 2005.

An earlier industrial tribunal into that case allowed him to continue trading, under conditions, between 2010 and 2015.

The new order means that Mr Butler is entirely banned from being involved in the running of any employment agency for the next decade.

Mrs Ford can still run an agency, but only if she ensures that Mr Butler has no contact with any clients who are using, or considering using, the services of her agency.

She must also ensure that Mr Butler has no access to any premises from which she may run an agency.

Mrs Ford is best known for playing Dympna in the BBC Northern Ireland comedy series, Give My Head Peace.

Universal Artists Belfast has provided casting for film, television, radio and theatre productions in Northern Ireland.

A spokesperson for the Department for the Economy said: "The Prohibition Order against Mr Butler and Ms Ford should give a clear message to work-seekers in the entertainment industry that there is no need to tolerate unprofessional or inappropriate conduct on the part of an agent.

"In this case, the Employment Agency Inspectorate acted immediately to investigate a series of complaints from actresses who sought to be or had been signed to Universal Artists.

"The actions of the department, based upon the evidence of the actresses who came forward, have resulted in the industrial tribunal imposing the maximum prohibition period permitted by the legislation for both parties."

5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    Oh, Rosie. So self-righteous and loud. She jumps on the bandwagon once the story comes out and claims we all knew, but when people challenge her with "well, why did you remain silent?" she stumbles quickly.

It's like Rose McGowan trashing the people who knew about Weinstein and what Weinstein did to her, so they were supposed to risk their own careers by exposing him when she herself chose not to, potentially allowing the abuse to go on for years directed at others.

Don't these people think before they speak about how their arguments could be turned back on themselves?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,824
    Medals:
    Didn't he already come out on Clapham common a few years back?

7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    I'd say it's way more than unwanted passes. An unwanted pass is flattering and harmless. Sexual harrassment is anything but that. Some people don't know that there is a huge difference, and that is the main problem - people now knowing where the line goes between innocent flirting and an actual criminal offence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    While I LOVE that these stories are FINALLY coming to light (as they should), I do worry that some mentally screwed up people will "jump on the band wagon" and accuse innocent people.

In the Kevin Spacey case though, the boy he tried to seduce was a CHILD. That is just plain wrong and I would assume, criminal as well. Normally, we call this pedophilia. But I assume media won't accuse Spacey of that, simply because he is a beloved actor.

So what happens with House of Cards now?
    http://people.com/tv/house-of-cards-creator-kevin-spacey-statement/
    Had it happened in Sweden, production of the show would be on hiatus. Maybe they'd kill Frank off and continue on without him.

We have (in Sweden, that is) a number of these sexual criminal acts among the media men as well. They are getting fired (not for gossip, but for actual misconduct, in many cases proven by witnesses).

Martin Timell, show host, has been harrassing women for years. But TV4 didn't care - until #metoo. The producers and bosses have known about his schenanigans for a very long time and done NOTHING. Timell - the golden child - couldn't be removed. Oh, the money they'd not get in form of ratings. Instead, plenty of his co-workers were allowed to leave as a protest against Timell's actions. Including one of his victims, Lulu Carter.
    But with the #metoo campaign, TV4 decided to go full steam ahead and fire Martin Timell and cancel all his shows. NOW they are taking action. Now, when they couldn't hide it anymore.
    IMO, they should fire themselves as well.

Fredrik Virtanen, journalist, has been pulled from Aftonbladet now when TV & radio personality/blogger Cissi Wallin got the courage to tell the world that Virtanen drugged and raped her 6 years ago.

These crimes should never go unpunished. Especially media should be a major role model. If you sexually harrass someone to the point where you cross the line of when it becomes a criminal act - that's also the time when you shouldn't be allowed to keep your high-profile job as a beloved media personality.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    Sexual harassment is whatever the accuser decides it is. "Innocent flirting" is often called sexual harassment by the recipient of that attention. So while there should be a "huge difference" between the two, people's opinions vary a lot as to what qualifies.

It's one of the reasons the world is so complicated.

Yes. Not to minimize legitimate sexual harassment or abuse, but there is something very high school about all this latest Hollywood stuff.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    You, Sir, have not grasped the seriousness of all this. Have you ever been scared and humiliated when someone has groped you? If you have, then you know that this isn't normal "High School behavior". If you haven't, then maybe you shouldn't assume so much.

And there are laws against sexual harrassment. For instance, it's a criminal offense to take a person's hand and shove it inside your own pants to touch your private parts. If someone sees it, and can witness in court, you will be sentenced and fined for it. In such a case, there is no gray zone. That is a crime, and if you're lucky to have a witness, you will win the case. Unfortunately, people tend to harrass others when there are no witnesses around, which means it's word against word, and the police will then have to suspend the case.

11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    Oh, I think I have, madam.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    The Donald Trump way, maybe.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    There's a big gray zone. People define it differently. That's the point. The courts only knows what they hear.

14. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    Well, the laws in this country differ from the laws in your country.

The example I made above about a man taking a woman's hand and putting it inside his pants to feel his junk is a true story. The man in question was sentenced for it, and fined. Ergo, there are laws that forbid these actions.

15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    I would think that's illegal here, too. But people still define sex harassment differently.

16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,916
    Medals:
    Did they really think "The Lonely Lady" was pure fantasy?

[​IMG]

17. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    Then by all means, let's see if we agree or disagree with the following situations:

Sexual harrassment or not if........
    ...a person puts their hand on your butt at work to feel you up a bit, without your concent?
    ...a person grabs you between the legs, outside of the pants/skirt/dress, without your concent?
    ...a person pulls down your sweater to take a closer look at what's under, without your concent?
    ...a person at your work whispers what he/she wants to sexually do with you in your ear, on more than one occasion, without you showing any interest?
    ...a person cornering you and pulling down your pants, withou your concent?
    ...a person calling you a w*ore after you have kindly turned down his or her flirty intentions?

I vote yes on all the above.

You?

18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,142
    Medals:
    But it's not just what you -- or I -- think.

19. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    But it's a good start. I don't think we are 100% different from "the common man".

20. Emelee

Message Count:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,180
    Medals:
    • Informative Informative x 1