Kirby.

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by tommie, Feb 19, 2017.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    I know a lot of people don't like her, but me and @Ked tend to see the untapped potential in her.

I would've wanted her to be a wallflower - literally. I want her to sneak around, hide and just be unconspicious... then BAM! She strikes. I want us to be unclear about her motives, about her life in "Europe" and just about everything! Alexis, of course, would see her for what she is - just like mother Alycia who slept with Blake. Alexis will snap at Kirby at any given moment!

My Kirby would SNAP BACK at Alexis if needed.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Oh come on, a new thread for this?

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,405
    Well see Kirby was kinda bla... I had to fill in the blanks myself as they couldn't decide on an angelic ingénue or a mysterious slut. Was she just innocent and naïve or was she clever and plotting. The more I watch it, she's a mysterious clever plotting slut. But she's very good at playing the victim. Those kinds of people usually are.

I liked her much better in The Reunion that her entire time on the show. That's one good thing I can say about that shit-fest.

• Like Like x 4
  4. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Kirby is that controversial dahlink!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Upon rewatching season 3, as well as reading through @James from London 's thread on comparing Dynasty to all the other major 80s soaps, I realized that Kirby's past was very quickly laid out: she had a fling with Jean Paul what's-his-name, only for him to go back to his wife, leaving Kirby crushed; and then she went and babysat for a couple on a yacht (wasn't it suggested/revealed that she had an affair with the husband that time too?). And that's pretty much it. No real big reveal or anything.

I think that was Kirby's main downfall from the start: the writers didn't know what they wanted from her... not until The Reunion, seems like. ^^ In The Reunion, she was far more decisive; she knew what she wanted, she came out and said what needed to be said, and what's more, the way how she interacted with Adam made them both seem more, well, human. I liked how she wasn't afraid of him, she called him out on his B.S., made it plenty clear she wanted to sleep with him when she did, and, of course, she delivered quite the epic punch to someone who tried to kill her. :D

Sounds like how Alexis' relationship with Sammy Jo worked out. Only I applaud Kirby being like that, snapping back and the like. Only I'm not sure about the idea of Blake sleeping with Alycia... although I do like the idea of Alycia trying to seduce Blake, and Alexis finding out about it, and refusing to believe Blake when he says he resisted. X)

Heh, I still wish SJ or Kirby would have called Alexis "old woman", even though Joan probably would have objected to that. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    I too liked Kirby, but she was much better in The Reunion than she was in seasons 3 and 4, Kirby had the potential of being like Sarah from UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS and I think that was what TPTB wanted initially, I get the impression that in season 3 they wanted to reintroduce the "downstairs" aspect of the show, which was done really well in season 1, but they weren't sure how to go about doing it in season 3.

• Like Like x 3
  7. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    I think "wallflower" is a perfect description of the idea of Kirby.

Of course writing a character like that would need... subtle writing. And it all went very blunt.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,405
    But then wasn't she having an affair with a married man in Paris and dancing on tables in designer dresses? Not really wallflower behaviour.
    That's why I have to go with my mysterious plotting slut idea. She always wanted what she couldn't have. Other women's husbands and to be part of the upstairs world.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    I always interprented the references to Kirby's life in "Europe" (which is a fuzzy magical place in Dynastyverse and I'm sure you can not only find rainbows, but also unicorns) as an indication that she's not an innocent as she seemed - she might've been able to fool the Carrington's, but not Europe!!!!

Sigh, I feel like me and @Ked are the only Kirby fans.

[​IMG]

I really wish Dominique would've turned out to be Alycia Anders as she and Kathleen Beller have similar facial structures. Just imagine the amazing moment when Kirby meets HER mother!!!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    It certainly would have given Dominique a better backstory, and given her some edge in that she killed a man and more or less got away with it (sure, she got put in the nuthouse for a while, but look how she ended up). ^^

Btw, for this thread, I intend to do a series on how I would redo Kirby's wardrobe in season 3 (because I don't have season 4 yet :lol:).

• Like Like x 3
  11. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Maybe this thread should've been named "The Kult of Kirby Worshippers".

• Like Like x 3
  12. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Kirby felt like a warped version of Sammy Joe.
    Her wardrobe was not good, like something from Gone with the wind.
    And her mother's story was strange. Why shelter a grown woman from the fact that her mother liked penises a bit too much? Isn't that what the women's movement was all about?:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Okay! I finally got things organized, and here is how I would redo Kirby's wardrobe for season 3:

First up, her opening title card. The one on the left is her original one (and quite possibly the worst outfit she was forced to wear), and the one on the right is what I would replace it with. That sets her up better as The Seductive Butler's Daughter.

0.png

Next, her very first appearance in the actual series. I like both outfits, but the left one has a tendency to draw Madeline comments, and what's more, she's supposed to come back from Paris "all grown up." The red outfit illustrates that far better, so therefore, I'd have her wear the red in all her scenes in this episode.

1.png

Up next, I'd replace the outfit in her first scene with Fallon with the one she wears in that one library scene with Adam, where she tells him he doesn't want him. The original outfit is just awful; I can't understand how Fallon could look at Kirby in that outfit and call her "the competition." The second outfit is much nicer. Only I think, for Fallon's scene, I'd keep the braid, just so differentiate each scene.

2.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Here's a little tribute to her next outfit, the flapper costume. I would have had Kirby's first meeting with Adam be a little more ceremonial: he's standing surrounded by a group of tall giggling blondes, but then Adam beholds small, dark, composed Kirby from across the room, and, with a "Excuse me, ladies," makes a beeline to her.

3.png

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Down below, in order of appearance, are all the outfits that I would *not* change. Because I think they're all pretty enough or practical enough for each scene they're in. The first four outfits (including the title card) are all meant to establish Kirby as a beautiful, sexy young woman. But from this point on, she is now the nanny for Little Blake, and she's made it her quest to make Jeff see her as the wife for him. She stated in one scene that she wanted to be the woman men married, not the girl they took to bed. So therefore, her wardrobe takes on a pretty-yet-modest-and-practical style. Except for her green/black outfit, and the black dress with the red boots; those ones are appropriate because during those times, she was in mourning for Steven's "death."

4 1.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Up next is the outfit she wore when she had that dinner date with Adam, where he convinces her to go on that business trip with him as an interpreter. I think the original outfit is nice enough, but its all wrong for this scene, and it should be worn in a future episode (will get to that in a few posts). Instead, I'd have her re-wear her first red outfit, and during this whole scene, Kirby behaves very flirtatiously towards Adam, because at this time, she's become frustrated with getting nowhere with Jeff, and would like some comfort sex. Adam, surprisingly enough, seems unreceptive towards her, no matter how hard to hints (taking her hair down and shaking it out, striking poses that call attention to her cleavage, running her foot up his leg, etc). Later on, Adam reveals he knew what she was about, but decided he didn't want her to use him like that. Needless to say, Kirby's very annoyed with him for that. :lol:

5.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Another group of outfits I wouldn't change. I always liked how, after a night of sleeping with Fallon's husband, the very next day Kirby dresses all in red (you can't see it in this screenshot, but she's wearing a pair of matching red boots as well), like she's crossed over the line and become a total "scarlet woman." :lol:

6.png

The next outfit, however, I would change. While its an okay outfit... I don't know, just something about it bothers me. Maybe its just too childish. But either way, I'd have her wear the outfit on the right instead, because that was one she should have worn at least twice. X)

7.png

I never cared for the outfit in this scene either, where she's at the motel with Adam where he molests her a second time, only for Jeff to come rescue her. I always liked this blue outfit, so I'd have her wear this instead. Plus, in this scene, Kirby is far more manipulative: when she calls the mansion and asks her father if Adam did indeed call the house, she acts calm and composed, if a little annoyed when she finds out Adam lied. But when Jeff takes the phone away to speak to her, Kirby almost immediately puts on a "scared little girl" act and begs for him to come rescue her.

Soon afterwards, Adam comes a-knockin' with pizza and wine. Kirby welcomes him in with a sly smile on her face, and as they eat, she tricks Adam into drinking more and more wine. She also deliberately directs the conversation towards the subjects that she knows will get him mad. However, it seems her plan works a little too well and Adam starts to behave a little too aggressively. Figuring she better not take any chances, Kirby screams for help - and as luck would have it, Jeff and Joseph pull up in time to hear her. They knock furiously on the door, and Adam lets them in, announcing to Joseph what a conniving little minx his daughter is-

-and Joseph punches Adam full in the face, knocking him to the floor. Everyone goes quiet. Even the background music. Joseph gathers his wits and tells Kirby to get in the car, and she obeys. Jeff gets in with them, and they drive off, leaving a dazed Adam behind. Nobody speaks a word on the way home.

8.png

This time around, Jeff and Kirby don't elope, and they're present for when Steven returns home. This is the outfit I'd have Kirby wear for the occasion:

9.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    While I would keep Jeff and Kirby from getting married, they would still become engaged. I always thought it was ridiculous how Kirby dressed when she returned to the mansion as Mrs. Jeff Colby wearing that staid gray dress and multi-colored jacket. The ironic thing is, though, that is exactly how I would have had Kirby look if she were in season 1, before returning in season 3 as a vixen in red.

But this purple number, the one she wears when Adam takes her out to dinner to convince her to come work for him, this would have been the perfect first thing to wear as Mrs. Colby (or at least the soon-to-be Mrs. Colby). So this is what I'd have her wear when she and Jeff announce their wedding plans. It would be her own way of establishing herself as an Upstairs Bride.

10.png

Here's where things get a little out of order, because the following last outfit that I'd change takes place in between a group of outfits I *wouldn't* change, and I wanted to save room. :lol: But anyway...

Oh gosh, I *hate* this outfit. *What* were they *thinking*? That outfit might look good on Constance Colby (might), but NOT on Kirby. I mean... ugh. So instead, for this scene where she announces to Jeff that they're going to be having a baby, Kirby instead is wearing the same outfit she wore when Adam told her "You should be thinking about having babies of your own." To be ironic, of course. ;)

11.png

Last but not least, here are the remainder of Kirby's outfits in season 3, all of which I would not change or switch. Why would I not change these? Well, the white negligee and the pink bathrobe... why would I? XD But the other four outfits, I think they fit the style of the purple outfit up above, for when Kirby announces she is to become the next Mrs. Colby. She wants to present herself as an upper-class lady, one who could fit into the circles the Colby family is apart of. But she also wants to keep in mind that she's still young and attractive, and so therefore makes certain her now more mature outfits still have a youthful flare to them (case in point, the last outfit on the end, you can't tell in the screenshot, but the skirt is fairly short, ending a few inches above the knee).

12.png

There! Now its complete. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  19. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    I think the main problem with a lot of her outfits is that they were quite bulky and needed to be more form-fitted around her waist - not to sound gross, but she's err "gifted" in la ta-ta department, so wearing bulky clothes often made her look larger and homelier than she was. The morning-after red dress is gorgeous on her because it very much compliments her figure without going over the top with it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,493

The 4th photo on the bottom, looks like an outfit that would've been popular in 1973, but woefully out of date by 1983.

They got some of Kirby's clothes right, she was best in reds, dark blues and white.

• Like Like x 2