1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of interaction between Miss Ellie and James

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Miss Texas 1967, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    Lenny was just fine with cocky, pistol-packin' mamas --- as long as they didn't live at Southfork.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,557
    Agreed. It was the idea that JR had a "one true love" we'd never heard of before that grated on me. It would have been better to find out that Julie Grey had a son she'd kept secret.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,719
    Absolutely. I've pushed for the "daughter" on TNTs Dallas to be the child Julie had while away between season 1 and Julie Returns - timelinewise it would work having her give birth and would explain why she was kept hidden all those years.

If there's one soap character I could see having multiple secret off-springs it's JR. He was a complete manwhore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,472
    Yes he cheated but the true love about Vanessa is bullshit.

I don’t accept the storyline and JR was a cheater.

Bobby didn’t cheat on Pam but many still hate and don’t accept April or Ann. Same thing except one is more logical.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,798
    I really liked James, as you know @Sarah
    But the idea that Vanessa was JR's one true love is laugable. I don't buy it for one second.
    Even James didn't believe it as when JR got engaged to Vanessa he did everything he could to make sure that his parents split up since he knew that JR would be unfaithful to Vanessa the first opportunity that he got after they'd tied the knot!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,472
    At least Larry attempted to rectify it when he told the writers - I want things put right between JR and Sue Ellen for JR Returns

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,719
    Oh, I agree that it was a total mess. I was fine with JR having a secret child with some teenage (or college) girlfriend, but that was just the writers trying to make Vanessa and JR "happen" in the most contrived way possible because they had lost Linda Gray; of course it didn't work. If they wanted an age appropriate past girlfriend to come back that was also fine, just don't oversell it.

8. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,458
    they should have introduced Julie's daughter in the midst of the storyline about John Ross's paternity. In this case, JR and Cliff would both not want to be the father, I'd assume.

Could it still have been handled in one episode, Double Paternity Suit, perhaps with Harv Smithfield's twin brother Marv telling a shocked Cliff he was the father of Julie's baby in a special simultaneous split screen shot next to Harv's announcement to JR at the Ewing party?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  9. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I would have liked a scene with James and Tommy Mckay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +285

I agree. It was out of character for JR to just accept this person as his son without question when he was that way with Jamie. Also, it destroyed JR and John Ross's relationship with JR treated John Ross as an afterthough which was hard to watch.

11. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +285

I always felt that JR and Sue Ellen should have had a daughter after John Ross. It was no believable for JR not to ask for proof that James was his son. If they wanted to expand the Ewing family, explore Jock's family then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,472
    I completely agree @lbf522 - all these notions of let's give JR a daughter with one of his tramps, or just welcome James into the fold (when JR would never do that, he was suspicious of all outsiders), just shows a lack of imagination, a lack of respect for the story and really when all is said and done there is no need for it. You sum it up perfectly - expand and explore with the family we already had.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,378
    Karin, JR once told James "Why tell the truth when a good lie will do!"

We all know what JR was like. He would say & do anything to get what he wanted.

He only told Vanessa what she wanted to hear. The same with Sue Ellen & Cally before they outlived their usefulness. :)

14. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,472
    I completely disagree about Sue Ellen @Via The Void - he loved Sue Ellen and that was evident up until the day he died. You cannot put his relationship with her into the same bracket as those other two simps.

I got the explanation about Vanessa from the person who wrote the storyline (Lisa Seidman) when I interviewed her. She explained that for JR, Vanessa was simply a moment in time relating to his past, and that it in no way changed his feelings or love for Sue Ellen.

15. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,378
    Of course he loved Sue Ellen. I meant that he only told Vanessa what she wanted to hear in order to keep her.

He would've lied to Sue Ellen in different ways in order to keep her, or get rid of her. But deep down in his soul we both know that the perfect wife & Mother to his child was Sue Ellen. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,648
    Even so, the whole concept of JR somehow maintaining a relationship with someone as hopelessly antiquated as Granny Beaumont just beggars belief. It was an insult to viewers' intelligence to think that JR would even mention her in the same breath as Sue Ellen.

Swami

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1