SoapChat Standards "Let It Be Me/Je t'appartiens"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    Here's the Upside Down view

Four of us voted on seventeen versions by fourteen unique artists. Here are the tracks that have charm and appeal* for SoapChatters.

[​IMG]

1. Diana Ross - 38
    2. Cut ‘N’ Move - 24
    3. Diana Ross [Almighty Mix] - 15
    4. Camilla [Il Mio Fuoco] / Marie Rottrová [Vytahuj se radši míň] - 12
    5. Collette - 11
    6. Eva Smart / Pamela Britte - 10
    7. Diana Ross & Jamiroquai / Liz Menezes - 9
    8. Dusty Springfield & Tom Jones / Obsession / Salt ‘N’ Pepa - 8
    9. Diana Ross [Satoshi Tomiie & David Morales Mix] / Siggi Schwarz & The Electricguitar Legends - 6
    10. Carol Cool / Michael Prophet - 5

Unsurprisingly, Diana's original is The Boss of this round. But a nice variety of versions are represented here, so it's another cracking round.

I'll be along with another Standard over the weekend...

* Misheard lyrics confession: Until a few years ago, I always thought Diana was singing "I know you got your man appeal." I still have to correct myself when singing along sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,049
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo! I always thought it was that too so I just did a Google search on the lyrics and now realise I've been wrong for over 30 years!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    So funny that we both interpreted the lyrics the same way.

Maybe there are more of us. We could start a Man Appeal society.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    Our next Standard...
    Let It Be Me/Je t'appartiens

[​IMG]

Suggested by @Emelee, "Let It Be Me" is a popular song originally published in French in 1955 as "Je t'appartiens". The score was written and first recorded by Gilbert Bécaud. The lyrics were penned in French by Pierre Delanoë.

In 1957, an English language version - with lyrics by Manny Curtis - was performed by Jill Corey in the television series Climax! Corey's version, with orchestration by Jimmy Carroll, was released as a single and was moderately successful.

The Everly Brothers helped to further popularise the song with their 1960 rendition which reached #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. The harmony arrangement of this version was often emulated in subsequent remakes. This was the first Everly Brothers single to be recorded in New York, and not in Nashville. The musicians that backed up the brothers on the record included Howard Collins, Barry Galbraith and Mundell Lowe on guitar, Lloyd Trotman on bass, Jerry Allison on drums and Hank Rowland on piano.

The song enjoyed its most success in 1964 when Betty Everett and Jerry Butler released their wistful version of the popular song. Their soulful duet was a bona fide hit which peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

The song has been recorded many times. Well known versions include: Andy Williams (1960); The Lettermen (1961); Brenda Lee (1965); Sonny & Cher (1965); Nancy Sinatra (1966); Glen Campbell and Bobbie Gentry (1969); Connie Smith & Nat Stuckey (1969); Leonard Nimoy (1970); Bob Dylan (1970); Roberta Flack (1970); Donnie & Marie Osmond (1974); Nina Simone (1974); Demis Roussos (1974); Melanie (1978); Willie Nelson (1982); David Hasselhoff (1985); Julio Iglesias (1994); Bobby Caldwell (1995); Kenny Rogers (1999); Olivia Newton-John & Cliff Richard (2002); Kate Ceberano (2004); Frankie Valli (2007); Rod Stewart & Jennifer Hudson (2009); Neil Diamond (2010); Michael Ball & The Overtones (2014).

Over two hundred and seventy versions may be found here. Explore, enjoy and enter your favourites below.

Please list up to ten versions with a minimum of three choices. We'll bring voting to a close next Wednesday night.

[​IMG]

5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,049
    • Like Like x 1