Let's Discuss Doris Day

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Let's kick-start a thread dedicated entirely to the incomparable Doris Day. This woman had an impressive career as a big band and radio singer before being discovered for movies. Over the course of her film career, she appeared in thirty-nine features, and she spent four years as the most-popular American film star at the box office. She excelled in a string of bedroom farces in the early-to-mid sixties, although her stretches in a handful of more serious vehicles were just as rewarding to her talents. As her film career concluded, she unwillingly ventured into television, after-which she eventually retired from show business. She has rarely returned to the limelight since.

What are your thoughts on this one-of-a-kind living legend?

upload_2018-6-8_20-34-33.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    An archetype, that's for sure. I always liked her and think she's a highly underrated singer -- probably because of the squeaky clean ballads she sang and image she had... And I still say she was born in 1924 and not 1922 (she used to say she was 16 in 1940 and couldn't get into the clubs to sing unless she lied about being 18, which is how the 1922 date got started. Then, a couple of years ago, someone unearthed a supposed birth record which supported the 1922 date, and Day said "thanks for telling me how old I am." But I'm still not convinced).

Although little Charlie Herbert, the cute kid in 13 GHOSTS (and who died on Halloween 2015 just a few weeks after Martin Milner which I saw as significant because Milner tried to kill him at the end of that movie and then himself was killed for his effort) says that Doris Day never once spoke to the kids off-camera during the entire 90 days they shot PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES. But he also said Milner was an ass on 13 GHOSTS.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    In the majority of her roles, yes she was an archetype. I would not always say she was one, but overall certainly. Her singing voice was pleasant, although I don't personally care for a whole lot of her songs. They just aren't my taste.

And as for her year of birth, it seems 1924 was the widely accepted year for decades, but in more recent times, more seem to side with 1922. I have yet to see any birth certificate claiming either year, and I personally could care less which year she was born. But if I had to take either side, I would probably side with 1924, too. It seems her lying about her age to appear older when she started the big band singing (she was very young then) led to the assumption that she had been born two years earlier than she actually was. Why did she never publicly correct this? Perhaps she decided not to go against what she had said prior and enter some idiotic controversy about America's screen virgin lying about her real age. Who knows?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    Thank you for letting me post on your thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    You're welcome. Why wouldn't I let you post here? :)

6. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +465
    Sarcasm... should have known.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 8)