Let's Discuss Doris Day

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Let's kick-start a thread dedicated entirely to the incomparable Doris Day. This woman had an impressive career as a big band and radio singer before being discovered for movies. Over the course of her film career, she appeared in thirty-nine features, and she spent four years as the most-popular American film star at the box office. She excelled in a string of bedroom farces in the early-to-mid sixties, although her stretches in a handful of more serious vehicles were just as rewarding to her talents. As her film career concluded, she unwillingly ventured into television, after-which she eventually retired from show business. She has rarely returned to the limelight since.

What are your thoughts on this one-of-a-kind living legend?

upload_2018-6-8_20-34-33.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,924
    An archetype, that's for sure. I always liked her and think she's a highly underrated singer -- probably because of the squeaky clean ballads she sang and image she had... And I still say she was born in 1924 and not 1922 (she used to say she was 16 in 1940 and couldn't get into the clubs to sing unless she lied about being 18, which is how the 1922 date got started. Then, a couple of years ago, someone unearthed a supposed birth record which supported the 1922 date, and Day said "thanks for telling me how old I am." But I'm still not convinced).

Although little Charlie Herbert, the cute kid in 13 GHOSTS (and who died on Halloween 2015 just a few weeks after Martin Milner which I saw as significant because Milner tried to kill him at the end of that movie and then himself was killed for his effort) says that Doris Day never once spoke to the kids off-camera during the entire 90 days they shot PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES. But he also said Milner was an ass on 13 GHOSTS.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    In the majority of her roles, yes she was an archetype. I would not always say she was one, but overall certainly. Her singing voice was pleasant, although I don't personally care for a whole lot of her songs. They just aren't my taste.

And as for her year of birth, it seems 1924 was the widely accepted year for decades, but in more recent times, more seem to side with 1922. I have yet to see any birth certificate claiming either year, and I personally could care less which year she was born. But if I had to take either side, I would probably side with 1924, too. It seems her lying about her age to appear older when she started the big band singing (she was very young then) led to the assumption that she had been born two years earlier than she actually was. Why did she never publicly correct this? Perhaps she decided not to go against what she had said prior and enter some idiotic controversy about America's screen virgin lying about her real age. Who knows?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,924
    Thank you for letting me post on your thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    You're welcome. Why wouldn't I let you post here? :)

6. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Sarcasm... should have known.

7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    You know I recently bought a Doris Day movie collection box while on vacation in Germany. :)

So far I have only watched one movie though, "Lover Come Back". Unfortunately I wasn't very impressed by it. I think it was the plot that was a bit silly and how that supposedly bright woman was completely fooled by that man into believing he was someone else all the while he stole her ideas. I guess the movie was a product of its time though.

Anyway I hope the other movies in the box are going to be funnier to watch!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    Yes, the bedroom farces of the sixties have dated somewhat. Ironically, I think the earlier dramas and musicals probably hold up better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    Oh absolutely, I love Doris Day in "Calamity Jane" where she co-stars opposite Howard Keel. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,602
    She must be the oldest living movie star. Her and Kirk Douglas anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    She is if I'm not badly mistaken.

12. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I have a box set that includes the three comedies she made with Rock Hudson and Tony Randall. I've watched all of them.

I recollect to liking Pillow Talk and Send Me No Flowers a great deal. As for the one in the middle, Lover Come Back, I liked it the least. In many ways, it seems like a repackaged Pillow Talk synopsis, and I just didn't go for it as much. Now it wasn't terrible, but the other two were better in my opinion.

13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    95ba9bebc04143a49ef5c0eda8553a50.jpg
    Forgot about me?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    How could I possibly forget Olivia de Havilland? I cannot believe it! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,924
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ginnyfan

ginnyfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I love Doris Day! I'm so happy she's still with us and in good health ****knocks wood**** It's wonderful to see that her smile and positive glow are still the same.

Her movies are such escapism for me, into this perfect world that never really existed, but is what many of us relate to classic movies and classic Hollywood. Who cares if it's not realistic or true? Who watches these movies for realism? I grew up on her 60s movies so it was a special joy to discover her early Warners work, so many lovely musicals and movies with amazing Warner contract players.

There are too many favorites to chose from but in recent years The Thrill of it All has been the one that makes me laugh the most. I dare to say James Garner, not Rock, was her perfect leading man? That said, I do love her 3 Hudson movies and as I wrote in another thread, Pillow Talk is a blueprint for modern day romantic comedy.

It's sad that her movie career came to a somehow sudden end. The way her husband/manager forced her into tv and ruined her finances. She managed to survive and succeed on tv as well. It's a bit tempting to think of Doris taking on The Graduate role and starting this whole new ''dirty'' 70s phase. I can not imagine her doing that though. Maybe it's better she didn't, this way the Doris Day image and legend remain like a monument to an idealized time and perfect world that never really was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload pic

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    @ginnyfan
    I understand where you're coming from concerning James Garner. I actually saw Doris in Move Over, Darling first, and I thought she and Garner had wonderful chemistry together. Afterwards, I saw the three features she did with Rock Hudson, and their chemistry was equally as good.

I'd probably go on record and say that both Garner and Hudson were Day's perfect on-screen leading man. I couldn't choose either way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    Agreed. I think there is a popular misconception that she made a lot more with Rock than she did but The Thrill of it All is probably my favourite of the sixties group. And That Touch of Mink with Cary Grant. The Glass Bottom Boat with Rod Taylor also comes to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Now, I do believe that her films with Rock Hudson are her greatest gems, and they're especially the ones that go down in the history books today. Likewise, her duo of features with James Garner are equally impressive, while her two with Rod Taylor, according to one biographer, seem forced and out-dated. I haven't seen them enough to know how I think either way. I haven't seen That Touch of Mink, either, so I don't know about that one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,924
    All these Libra Rising male co-stars: Cary Grant, Rock Hudson, James Garner, even Tony Randall, Sinatra. It's the dapper leading man ascendant (every Democratic president of the twentieth century -- except for evil LBJ -- had a Libra Rising).

Even Doris herself (contradictory charts not withstanding).

And that's exactly it, and why she's so quintessentially '50s/early-'60s -- a period where America's post-war aspirations were so quaintly, gauzily, seductively endearing (while what was going on underneath the surface was ghastly).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018