1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Liar" Montage Video - Cliff Gets Arrested

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Kenny Coyote, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    What's the name of the vocalist from this song "Liar' by The Unknowns? Have any of you found this song available for download?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,984
    I think you can learn more about the band and their music here:

http://www.theunknown.us/unkwebsite/

Also I remember when I first watched the episode I was cheering Emma on for getting Harris arrested. I also found the piece with them digging up JR's grave to retrieve the bullet to be utterly gross and something which had no place in Dallas IMHO.

I was also disappointed when Harris got out of jail so fast in the next season (although the plot twist that went with it made sense) but Cliff was left to rot in Mexico since I never wanted to see Cliff end up in prison. Dallas TNT ruined his character so bad! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    Watching the above video reinforces my opinion of TNT Dallas. It was horrid and I never wish to revisit it again. Once was enough. I remember having to sit through each episode with gritted teeth. It had some good things; Southfork in HD, the kitchen fight between John Ross and Sue Ellen and JR's Funeral. Unfortunately too much of the bad outweighs the few good points and after 4 years off the air it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Something else Lorimar Dallas never required. Quick editing with some meaningful vocal song in the background. Lorimar Dallas knew how to tell a damn good story without sexing it up. Most modern productions use this trick and while some, if not most enjoy it - I find the technique a cop out. It's like the writers have run out of words.

I feel sad now. Perhaps it's time to dust off my DVD's and revisit what WAS/IS good drama.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,137
    Yes, new Dallas relied heavily on the use of songs as a transparent attempt to amp up the drama. Instead of, you know, telling a coherent and compelling story. Cliff the killer, Harris the thug who actually works for the CIA, strong Pamela Rebecca risking her life by overdosing in order to "punish" John Ross, etc. Not to mention the numerous continuity mistakes.

And yes, the quick edits got annoying fast. It had the look and feel of a contemporary show, but underneath that veneer was a superficial, gimmicky show that lacked depth. Although Lorimar Dallas was pretty dire in its final seasons, the early to mid years blow TNT"s Dallas out of the water. What it lacks in production values, it makes up for in quality storytelling.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Production values over solid storytelling is what many shows go for nowadays. I have even heard people defend the peach Dynasty reboot based on the production values alone, as if story is an afterthought on TV. (That does not mean the reboot is as atrocious as TNT Dallas in its handling of the IP).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    Somehow (for me) it's difficult to defend high production values when we compare technology used today as opposed to the equipment used in the late 70's, 80's and 90's. Of course I would expect high production values - it's a given. Throughout the life of Dallas, Dynasty and others, great care was taken in positioning cameras, lighting and camera tracks if the scene required movement. Today we have steadicam and HD/4K cameras. So much can now be accomplished simply by using software to add simple enhancements.

None of this was available for Lorimar Dallas and others. They had to utilize their skills, imagination and yet they still accomplished both excellent production values and damn good story-telling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    There's a reason that a lot of new shows use what I call "The VH1 video approach." A lot of new shows make what is basically a cheap music video set to a song they were able to get for a low price. So many shows today rely exclusively on this because they're too cheap to hire an orchestra to create an actual score. Look back on classic movies or the better made TV shows of the past and you'll see just how important a score can be. The score heightens the emotion of the story being told and sets the mood for each scene. Today instead of scores they use songs with vocals which usually mean a scene either has dialogue with no score at all or it is a music video with little or no dialogue. Of course less dialogue means they can get by with a shorter, cheaper script. An actual score created by an orchestra sets the mood and heightens the emotion without sacrificing dialogue. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Today they're more interested in cutting corners whenever possible. That results in a cheaper product and if it fails, it's often only a 10 or 12 episode "season" and then they're right on to their next little "season" of the next cheaply made product. In the Dallas era, they couldn't cut corners to make the cheapest show possible because since a show would air from fall to spring, it had better be good!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    Have you noticed these characters: "Cliff the killer, Harris the thug," etc are all cartoonish exaggerations of the more realistic characters the original Dallas had in its glory days? TNT Dallas was a cheap caricature of original Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,872
    A theme that has always stuck in my head over the years is when we witness Katherine Wentworth at the hospital prior to her attempt at jabbing a needle into Bobby's arm. Today I refer to the score as "Katherine's Theme". Then the following week the score is just as brilliant as Bobby awakens and is aware it's Katherine.

This would have to be the most chilling piece of music I've ever heard on television. It starts off so subtle but builds right through until we cut to the scene with JR in the hallway on the phone.

Now imagine how screwed up this scene would be with some deep and meaningful pop song playing over this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,984
    Good point about the importance of a music score. I agree that the scores of classic music that hightens the emotions of the scene often works better than a random cheap pop song. The advantage of the score is that there is no conflicting dialogue, but the score is simply there in the background and it just works without given much thought to it. :)

Then again for someone whose hobby is editing together fan music videos I also know how powerful the same scenes can be with no sound at all or just a few chosen words of dialogue set together with a song where the lyrics match the images. I'll give you an example of a fan music video I've done that focus on Sue Ellen & John Ross relationship and hence primarily includes clips from Dallas TNT:

So well I know music videos can work. The problem with the way the songs are used on the new shows however is that the lyrics and images doesn't match that well and then it just creates one big mess and ruin the mood of the scene for me.

Like for instance the scene where Sue Ellen fell off the wagon would have worked better for me with a score or another song than with the song they selected to go with the scene. But that's just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1