Lines you wish were uttered just once.

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Jimmy Todd, May 18, 2019.

1. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +195
    The Dallas writers came up with many clever, memorable lines. What are some you wish had been said just once on the show or the other big soaps?

I'll start with three:
    Lucy to JR after he mocks her father, Gary, for being weak: "My father moved away from home when he was practically a teenager and started his own business. If he's weak, what is a middle-aged man who still lives with his mommy?"

Anybody to SueEllen after Mickey dies and, she thinks she's off the hook because the accident was caused by a hit and run: "No, SueEllen, it's still your fault because if you hadn't been drinking Mickey never would have gotten in the car with you. And by the way, you don't seem to care one bit about him." (I always though SE got off way too easy with Mickey's accident, and even when she told Clayton she felt terrible about the accident she could not have sounded less sincere.)

Pam to Miss Ellie after Pam finds out JR sent her on a false mission to find Mark, and she was on the warpath: "You raised him!!! It's your fault he's the way he is!" It may not be entirely fair, but it would have added to the drama.

• Like Like x 3
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,504
    Medals:
    I always wanted someone to acknowledge, just once, the way Jock was sanctified after his death. When Elena Ramos said something similar about JR after his death -- something about how the family “rushed to sentimentalise” him -- I remember I was so excited, I actually punched the air.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,674
    Medals:
    Miss Ellie to Pam: "Jesus Christ Pam! WTF??? Don't worry, whoever did this to you, we're gonna make them pay!"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    Peter Richards to JR; "It took you years to sire a child with Sue Ellen. For me it was a few moments of pleasure after class."

5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    I know the character of Pam had the deepest respect for Miss Ellie but just once I would have loved to see this scene occur. It would have unsettled Miss Ellie in the same manner as when Rebecca Wentworth visited Southfork and gave Ellie a good telling off.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,172
    Medals:
    I almost started a thread like this the other day --- I want Jock to yell homophobic slurs at his sons whenever he's mad at them.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Ellie (Donna Reed version), to her sons: “J.R., Bobby - clean your rooms!”

8. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    Ray to JR: “You think Cliff Barnes was the first one to sleep with Sue Ellen in Season 1??”

maybe without the “sleep with” euphemism..

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,041
    Medals:
    To Pam and about Pam...."It's all me me me. It's all about me!!! Meeeeeeeeee!!!!"

10. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    I wish there would have been a scene between Sue Ellen and Christopher r.e. Kristin when he discovered he was adopted, or even later on in the TNT series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,863
    Medals:
    Im pretty convinced BBG must have ad libbed the script with Love your new hair do when she met Pam at the foot of stairs! We didnt see she had her fingers crossed behind her back

3 weeks after Pam got her perm, so did i, if it was good enough for Pam and VP it was good enough for me! I did live to regret it for about 2 years, the split ends had split ends!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    JR: I call it being loyal to my family, just like Bobby is. We don't run away when things get tough like Gary always does.

Regarding what line I'd have liked to have heard, it would go something like this:
    (Season 10 just after Pam has remarrued Bobby and come back to Southfork to live with him. Bobby has just said something to JR along the lines of: The first time you say anything insulting to Pam, I'm gonna make Sue Ellen a very attractive widow.)

JR: Bob, you talk like you wanna be a tough guy, but why is it you only use that physical intimidation with guys who are either older than you, smaller than you, or both? When Mark Graison got back from taking your wife on a vacation to the south of France on his own jet, what did you do to him? Nothing. Then when Jenna disappeared you told me if you ever saw Naldo Marchetta again you'd kill him. You did see him again and you didn't lay a hand on him. Bob, if you're gonna be a tough guy, then be a tough guy 24/7. Don't just pick on people who can't fight back..."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Kenny, you would be a good writer for the show:)
    JR was like Abby over in KL. They could justify anything they did and sound sincere. JR would definitely proclaim he was loyal to his family after having mortgaged Southfork and being a serial adulterer. It's an interesting peak into the psyche of an evil person and how he or she perceives their actions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    Thank you!

JR sounded sincere when he'd explain the things you mentioned because he believed he was justified. That's one of the most important characteristics to creating a character like JR. He has to believe he's justified in his actions.

Regarding the mortgage of Southfork he would have said something like: It was a calculated risk I had to take for the good of Ewing Oil and the financial stability of my family and I was right wasn't I? I just made my family billionaires!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    controversial take time! I think she actually looks better here than in a lot of the styles she had throughout the 80s.

Not as good as the early simple hairstyles, but... I mean, what's she going for here?

[​IMG]

16. Top Jimmy

Top Jimmy Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Medals:
    Whenever Sue Ellen would utter "I'm not an alcoholic," someone should have responded, "But you are, Sue Ellen, you are." :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Medals:
    "Hey, Mark Graison. I notice that extra long hood on your car. It seems obvious you are compensating for some shortcoming."

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jimmy Todd

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +195
    On Dynasty, when Alexis was wearing one of her more extreme outfits, I wanted Sammy Jo or Krystle to say, "Nice outfit, Alexis. Did you park your space ship on the roof?"

It would have been fun if Sammy Jo referred to Alexis to her face as "Granny,"
    but I doubt Ms.Collins would have allowed that.:giggle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    ‘Miss Ellie, why can’t you just look at me? Why must you either flutter your eyes or gaze off into the middle distance for no apparent reason? While you’re at it, how about replying to me without repeating the first two words: ‘ I... I eh ... always ..’ or ‘You know when - eh, when Jock....’ (and repeat and spin).

‘Why are you morphing into Barbara Bel Geddes?’

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,041
    Medals:
    Donna said 'Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' before absolutely everything.

Everything.