1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Have we got news for you?

Click Here

Living in the Cul-de-Sac: Season 13

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by JROG, Jan 31, 2020.

1. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    ... even if I'm all by myself! lol

So Season 13 started decently enough but quickly slowed down in pace and interest just 5 or 6 episodes in. While I like the idea of Tidal Energy and Anne and Benny, things are excruciatingly slow and it doesn't feel like a lot happens. I think the last time I felt this way with the show was somewhere in the second half of Season 7.

Linda's murder was a shock. I did not expect her to be disposed of that way. Not sure where I thought the Brian Johnston stuff was going but I thought him taking Karen, Mack, Jason, and Meg hostage was decent. Poor Jason -- first he's comatose, then he disappears for episodes on end, then he gets shot. I am SO relieved though because I thought they'd kill him off.

Not sure I really care what the show is trying to do with Claudia's nightmares. She set her own son up to be arrested and directly led to his death. I feel no emotional connection to her anymore, she's kinda dead to me.

Pierce and Paige have ZERO chemistry and I hate that he was introduced immediately as Paige's existing love. Not to mention, other than a decent body, Pierce is a bit cryptkeeper-y. At least Marcia Cross showing up and being seemingly psycho shows promise....

I have no idea if it's going to happen but I suspect Greg may want Meg back. The show has definitely waited a long time to pull the trigger on that.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo Spoilers, please!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +991
    Medals:
    Knots Landing is utter trash by this point.....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    Up to episode 18 of Season 13, where apparently Paige is now paralyzed. I had no idea that would happen! Not sure about seeing her like this, though. I guess it depends how they handle it.

The switch from Romano to Marcus episodes was so noticeable I didn't even have to look at the credits to confirm. Suddenly, there was much more energy and sense of direction.

I didn't hate the first 2/3 of Season 13 but it did become glacially paced and eventually you'd come out of an episode feeling like nothing had happened (even if it had), which clearly was very dangerous. I mean, Jason was "leaving for Sweden" for about 39 episodes.

I am intrigued by the very sexy Alex Barth but very confused as well, as they kept zigzagging with how they portray him and I couldn't tell if I was supposed to be turned on by his near-evil treatment of Claudia (but, hey, if anyone deserves it, it's her). I think eventually they settled for opportunist and it works. A real shame they wrote Jason off. Jason and Alex around would be great for the hunky young guy portion of the show.

Vanessa Hunt is intriguing too, if a tad annoying. I hope they go somewhere good with this.

I LOVE Val writing Greg's biography. Decent drama. Val has been quite well served this season, even if that Lynette story went absolutely nowhere.

Sad to see the ranch go but nice that Gary and Val are back on the cul-de-sac.

To my surprise, I quite like Pierce now that he's gone full psycho. That scene where Marcia Cross had him fck her in order to give him info on Greg was wonderfully twisted. Interested to see where this goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,127
    Medals:
    I didn't mind Linda's murder when I first saw it, even if it just felt very un-Knots - I guess at this time "gritty" police procedurals had started dominating the airwaves like Law & Order so they might've thought doing a shocking scene like that would get eyeballs? IDK. At that moment I didn't dislike them killing her off though, but it's obvious that it was a bit of a waste since they obviously tried to give Vanessa the parts that would've previously gone to Linda... except that the actress playing Vanessa is tuuuurrrrible, so at that point I was just wishing for Linda to come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,370
    Medals:
    Maybe the intrigue is also in the confusion? The (I,) Claudia/Alex storyline had a vibe of 1970s bizarreness that I really liked.
    Kinda like Maggie trying to write Jacqueline Perrault's biography. Although I found Val's reasons a bit weak (not the idea itself, but why she "couldn't" stop).
    I liked her better in season 14. And she's a slut.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,492
    Medals:
    My more cynical theory is that the new producers/writers wanted to put the fear of God into the cast and crew. They (Romano and Company) were coming into a situation where a lot of long-term employees had become very comfortable and might not take too kindly to a bunch of new people coming in and trying to disrupt their system. By immediately coming in and killing off Linda that way, it may have been a not-so-subtle indication to the veteran actors that no one was safe from being fired if the producers thought the actor (or lighting engineer, or makeup lady, etc.) was not toeing the line. Not that Lar Park Lincoln had been difficult; I have no idea. I've just seen new leaders come into established business settings and feel they have to 'make an example' of someone to scare the others into obedience.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,127
    Medals:
    I'm not talking about killing off Linda per se, but the way they did it and the setting up. When I watched it a year or so ago I remember just thinking that the scene itself didn't feel very "Knots", but more something that you'd see on Law & Order or other "gritty" procedural dramas at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,492
    Medals:
    They likely felt they were there to 'save the day,' to 'drag Knots into the 1990s kicking and screaming' in a similar way to how Black and Decker wanted to drag Falcon Crest into...well, into the toilet in season nine. Okay, bad example. Romano likely thought he could re-invent the wheel, when in fact the wheel was rolling along quite well and it was his production team that had to be fired in order to get the wheels back onto the road.

Oh, lord it's metaphor-mixing Monday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  9. tommie

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,127
    Medals:
    Falcon Crest season 9 was a well-plotted soap though, it just wasn't Falcon Crest - maybe a spin-off... but yeah, that's enough of that.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,370
    Medals:
    Hey Gin, look what's happening in the old neighbourhood!
    upload_2020-4-20_23-13-56.png
    Yeah, I'm so glad we got out before it all fell apart. We're very lucky, Kenny, I hope you realize that.

Hm.
    I'm going to do The Colbys.

You...what?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Addict EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,680
    I remember that at the time there was a bit of controversy because they showed Linda dead with her eyes open.
    I never understood why there was a big deal made over that.

12. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +991
    Medals:
    Granted, Kenny and Ginger weren’t the most compelling of characters, BUT they represented the best of KL’s “community spirit” years before KL became mired in the pure sh-t that was William Devane and Nicollete Sheridan. Thank god poor Laura was dead so she never had to suffer the poison pen that Karen, Val, and Gary suffered in the pure sh-t that KL imploded into.....

13. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,750
    Medals:
    How much of a lesson would that really be to the veterans, though? Linda wasn't exactly a core character the way Sid was. Linda's death was more in the vein of the template set by Ciji's which they tried to replicate a number of times with mixed results.

14. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,492
    Medals:
    She, like several others, were favored creations of the previous regime. Though the new leaders were not stupid enough to begin their tenure by killing off a tremendously popular character (*cough* Maggie Gioberti *cough*), Linda did have her fans. Not me, of course. :NI:

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    Season 13 is extreme -- from perhaps some of the most difficult episodes to get through to wonderful excitement with Paige's paralysis and kidnapping, and the surprisingly intriguing mystery woman in Greg's life.

I was NOT as negative on Season 13A as a lot of others are - I did find plenty of things to enjoy. However, there's no denying the tone was shifted into being almost a crime show. Linda's murder being one example. It just didn't click and the pacing was way, way too slow. But, with one episode left in the season, I am sad it's almost over.

Sheridan gave her best performances yet. She really blossomed here. From crying out in anguish over her paralysis, or throwing Laura's name at Greg's face, getting together with Greg (FINALLY!!!), and being terrorized by Pierce. The boat climax was fantastic. Speaking of Laura, what a great gutpunch to have Greg go back to her tape.

We hadn't seen Frank in a few episodes and so I gasped when we saw him again on episode 21 -- that dramatic weight loss could mean only one thing. Sadly, my fears were confirmed. I didn't know about that. How horribly sad.

The twist with Mary Robeson was great - Greg knows her and wanted to know she was released from prison, her lurking outside the McKenzie house. Again, this is different, but in a good way.

The Claudia/Alex pissing contest continues to excite. It's unique, nothing the show has ever done before, and exhilarating. This is why KNOTS made it so far; creativity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    I think that's exactly it. I didn't mind that she was killed off too much BUT, tonally, something was off. It just didn't feel or was done like a scene on KNOTS would be done. That's not necessarily a bad thing but in this case, I think it was.

What little I've seen on Season 9 I thought was excellently written. I don't want to start a holy war here, but good writing is good writing. I'll reserve judgment about whether it does or doesn't feel like FALCON CREST until I get to that season properly... which should be in a decade or so.

17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,695
    Medals:
    Maybe the new producers had been watching and just wanted to kill off Linda because she was f**king terrible. I think they made right decision and I think they staged it all beautifully and it was a fitting send off for the character.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  18. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,370
    Medals:
    I agree.
    I think she was terrible because the writing for this character had been so bafflingly incoherent from the moment she returned.
    However, at the time this particular storyline happened I thought the writers had finally figured out who and what they wanted her to be.
    On the one hand it seemed like a bad timing to let her go, but on the other hand it made her death scene more meaningful because she had become a more interesting and entertaining character.

19. JROG

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Medals:
    I think Linda was insufferable on her first appearances but as she became more scheming and lying, I grew to quite enjoy her. Nevertheless, I agree it was fine that she was killed off. What we're discussing here is how surprising the execution of that murder was. Not badly done -- just very unlike what you would expect.

20. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Hero EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,695
    Medals:
    I think for me, at that stage in the show, 13 seasons in. Even though I was enjoying it very much still it made me sit up and think, "Oh, these bitches aren't f**king around!" letting us know that Knots Landing was still a prime time champion. That it was still gonna shock and compete even if Dallas, Dynasty and Falcon Crest had bit the dust. I say that as if I was an adult and watching it weekly during the original airing. I watched it all for the first time maybe 5 years ago.